Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
2017-current by opponent

OppGamesForAgainst
Diff
Coll715.421.1
-5.7​
Bris817.823.3
-5.5​
W.C.417.322.8
-5.5​
Geel915.320.7
-5.3​
P.A.716.621.4
-4.9​
W.B.516.020.0
-4.0​
Carl719.022.9
-3.9​
N.M.418.021.5
-3.5​
St.K815.919.0
-3.1​
Adel715.718.6
-2.9​
Syd518.020.8
-2.8​
Ess517.219.6
-2.4​
G.C.417.018.5
-1.5​
Haw619.220.3
-1.2​
Frem516.817.8
-1.0​
GWS920.421.0
-0.6​
Melb619.719.5
+0.2​

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Just listening to Dermott Brereton..... sounding quite intellectual today.

Reckons the match between Dogs v Dees was a throwathon! Saw at least 4 a quarter. Poor old Bob Murphy was very quiet when he was singling out Libba. Clearly they're turning a blind eye to keep the ball in motion. .... surprise surprise!

Also thinks there's only one side in the eight who knows what their best game looks like and if that side has a decent run with injuries. ... come finals..... look out!:)

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Just listening to Dermott Brereton..... sounding quite intellectual today.

Reckons the match between Dogs v Dees was a throwathon! Saw at least 4 a quarter. Poor old Bob Murphy was very quiet when he was singling out Libba. Clearly they're turning a blind eye to keep the ball in motion. .... surprise surprise!

Also thinks there's only one side in the eight who knows what their best game looks like and if that side has a decent run with injuries. ... come finals..... look out!:)
Dermott is a very astute student of the game.

TODAY.

• Haha

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
He is at least honest and usually constructive with his criticisms. Too many in the media set out to troll teams and even players.
I actually don't mind listening to him. Sure he makes some howler calls but he is not boring like the old St Kilda players, N Reiwoldt excluded.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
dermott is great, loves what the tigers have done and usually has good insights. Don't really like his hair or makeup though.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
dermott is great, loves what the tigers have done and usually has good insights. Don't really like his hair or makeup though.
II used to hate Dermotts commentary years ago but for some unknown reason I don’t mind him now.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
II used to hate Dermotts commentary years ago but for some unknown reason I don’t mind him now.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Dermie's commentary has changed. But all the other commentators have shifted to the clickbait statement style of commentating

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
The argument that Pickett and Lynch are the reason for the free kick ratio we suffer most weeks has some legs, but it certainly does not explain how we have been reamed since before they were playing for us.

Let us get some perspective on the free kicks we receive and give away.

There is still a yawning gap between the frees for and frees against in 2021 for Richmond, an it follows the trend for a few years, here's how it looks since 2010:

View attachment 12469

The decent outcome this week only raised our free kick ratio from 69% to 74%. Long way to go.

But let us look at the stats for a moment.

In the game on Sunday the free kick count was 19 to Richmond and 12 to Adelaide.

There are 2 ways of looking at this, the difference and the ratio.
We received a +7 free kick count
We received 158% of the free kicks Adelaide received.

So, when was the last time this sort of difference and ratio happened?
The last time we received a +7 or higher free kick count was R22 2017
The last time we received a 158% or higher free kick ratio was R12 2016

But there is another comparison we can make here, and the results will surprise no-one. When was the last time we were on the receiving end of a similar free kick imbalance?
The last time we received a -7 or lower free kick count was R10 2021.
The last time our opposition received a free kick ratio of 158% or higher was, you guessed it, R10 2021.

The way the game is umpired, with a goal of having less free kicks per game, is a recipe for inconsistency, and for one reason or another we have been on the receiving end of that inconsistency for a few years. One game does not fix this but I suppose it is a start.

We still have the lowest number of free kicks awarded to us of any team in 2021, and that is up to the actions of our opponents, and the umpiring. In 2020 we had the lowest number of free kicks awarded to us in the H&A games as well.

DS
nice work DS
looking back , in 2010 we were 15th of 16 and 2011 we were 12th of 17 and there our onfield improvement started
and it passes the pub test . lowly sides often give away silly undisciplined frees
then a side starts building talent and discipline and they rise up the ladder
then in 2015 we finish 5th of 18
lets skip 2016
in 2017 , aided by a good draw , we get off to a flyer a sit around 2nd 3rd for several weeks and after a string of losses never slip below 7th and finish 3rd at the end of H&A

and that when the frees for and against really kick apart
I think I remember our Richmond tragics discussing this at the time and I watched closely
our now famed forward half pressure would result in lots of rushed tackles , that was resulting in lots of frees against
the trade of was the pressure was causing turn overs and the ball being trapped in our forward half

it wasn't dirty play and it wasn't bending the rules/cheating

and on the back of our success , forward half pressure became a real thing and most sides replicate
but that graph is coming back together !!!

Under the Sheedy era at Windy Hill , it was clear there was a team tactic , take two big steps forward when manning the mark ,
the umps would typically hold play and call that player back , they would take one step , some time the ump would call them back another step
it help up play , they got their defence set , it was clearly a team tactic

During the same time Sommerville in the ruck , boundary throw ins , before the boundary ump was set Sommerville would give his opposite a massive push in the back , because it was before the throw in the umps would let it go , typically the opposition guy struggled to get fully balanced by the time the throw in would be ontop of them , meaning Sommerville , could give silver service to his guys , now is this cribbing/bending the rules or straight out cheating ???
Because Essendon were a top side , they had lots of televised matched and I saw this game after game , the good rucks would adjust but he'd still catch people off guard

during the Lions reign , they had the Scott bros would played on the edge , and crossed it alot , it was widely recognised it was dirty grubby play , the commentators would call it they play "hard"

They are grubby tactics , and if we were playing "grubby" I could understand the discrepency in frees
but we aren't and even commentators, who have no love of Richmond, struggle to explain many free against us

the only thing I can put it down to is

post 2017 , while the footy world got onboard our fairy story and cheered us on during the finals and as underdog in the Granny
post GF , it was - how the hell did they win it ? , they don't have a great side , their side doesn't deserve a flag

and that narrative has just rolled along , its an easy one for people to jump on and humans by nature can be jealous
and the continued success is only galvanising the jealousy of some

.... its not easy being at the top

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'm the same. He knows his stuff,, loves making up new words. I find him likeable. Who cares if he has a little vanity?

Dermie identified Shai very early in the piece as an elite talent, well before other commentators jumped on board. Loves raving about him.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I've always said it's a combination of individual and team approach.

But it's funny you should mention gameplan because we had 146 marks yesterday, 132 uncontested. I'm no LTRTR with stats but as far as I can tell it's the most we've had in any game as far back as 2017. Two out of the three times we've taken over 130 marks in the past five years have been this season, the other was against the Bulldogs. Want to know what the free kick count was that night? 21-17 our way.

In fact, since 2017 we've taken 120 or more marks in a game (100 in 2020) 4 times for a combined free kick differential of +2.

Of course only a fool would think game style had anything to do with free kick counts though. :rolleyes:
so excluding the Crows and the Dogs games the 2 times we have taken over 120 marks in a game we have only lost the free kick count by an average of 4.5/game? cant argue with that.

I assume the last couple of weeks, when we have lost the free kick count easily- against the Lions and Giants, our opposition must have taken a lot of marks?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Margetts 6 (368 gms)
Dalgliesh 7 (225)
Johanson 30 (15)

These three did West Coast v Essendon last week and it was 16 frees to 15. Happy if they keep the numbers low again.

Reactions: 1 user