Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Forget the marking contest rules, that's high contact. Even if you want to apply the incidental contact claus, that's for something that has no impact on the contest or the player, contact that forceful to the side of the head can never be incidental contact by definition.

But you said Daniher kicking Vlastuin in the head, pushing him out of the contest, was incidental?
How else can you take a high mark if your legs touching the player underneath high isn't considered incidental?

Otherwise this is a free kick for high contact.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Ffdc943a3-2774-40e7-bb68-11d4168d8cf6
you have said forceful high contact cannot be incidental, but now you are saying it can be?

It isn't a brush to Dustin Martin's shoulder, Robinson literally jumped up and then tackled Martin while falling back to the ground. He tackled from above. Now he didn't do a bad job of it all things considered, but high contact was the result.

I know you are never wrong TBR, but clairvoyance now too? You know what the players and umpires were thinking at the time, stunning, you should be an umpire with all the rules involving interpretation of intent, that clairvoyance of yours would be very useful.

All I see is a rule which says high contact, specifically mentioning the shoulder, means a free kick, and pictures which show high contact and the result was a free kick the other way. I don't know how you interpret high contact, it isn't a matter of opinion, it is a matter of physical contact. Now, if you want to take a clear cut rule and bring in interpretations, that's your opinion, but it is the variable interpretation of rules like this which has led to the messy game we see today.

DS

Reactions: 1 user
Of all the contentious decisions i thought the Robinson free kick on Dusty was one that was ok. Heaps worse IMO.

Reactions: 1 user
13.09 - Balta kicks long to Reiwoldt in one on one with Starcevich on wing. Starcevich holds Jacks arm with 2 hands which allows Rich to mark uncontested. No free. Note Jack only going one handed in the contest. (see photos). View attachment 12356View attachment 12357

View attachment 12355

I went mental at that one up close and live Jazz. JR stood on the mark laughing and shaking his head. he was absolutely monstered.

He's used to not getting the free, but to have one paid against really tweaked him (and me) out

* I think Robinsons tackle on dusty was holding the ball against dusty

How good was the umpiring today.
Why can't it be like that more often.
I was blown away when in the first 3 plays we had 3 frees for, for guess what. High tackles.
Guess what happened next! They stopped making high tackles.
Really good work Umps.

Reactions: 3 users
How good was the umpiring today.
Why can't it be like that more often.
I was blown away when in the first 3 plays we had 3 frees for, for guess what. High tackles.
Guess what happened next! They stopped making high tackles.
Really good work Umps.
I'm glad they finally paid HTB properly. Both ways.

Reactions: 2 users
I think Peggy has some photos of Shocking, and now the AFL are our B!tche$.

the umps loved us longtime today

Gill must have directed SHocking to instruct the umpires to tone it down. It was getting too ridiculous to defend any longer.

Umps did a fairly reasonable job today, Missed some, paid a couple a soft ones one way but not the other.
But overall fairly consistent. For umpires.

Not sure whether we sung the song at the end of the game for kicking more points than them or for winning the free kick count??

• Haha
We're getting into semantics here, you can't compare a forearm to the side of the head with jumping over someone for a mark.
Agree, you cant compare a bit of high contact when spoiling the ball, which happens pretty much every time someone spoils from behind, to a knee to the head by someone who didnt even get near the ball.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Anyway as others have said they did a decent job today so this thread can have a rest for a week.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Gale comes out and says we have a good relationship with the AFL.
Guess what? we win the free kick count.
We need Peggy to come out and say Gill’s the best looking CEO the AFL has ever had.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Gale comes out and says we have a good relationship with the AFL.
Guess what? we win the free kick count.
We need Peggy to come out and say Gill’s the best looking CEO the AFL has ever had.
Well not that has been much competition for Gill there

So now that we have all agreed the farce is a furphy, it might be useful to have a look at what changed today.

Firstly, as @The Big Richo has pointed out previously, a few players are responsible for a high percentage of our frees against tally.

With Pickett and Lynch out and Riewoldt playing a different role that didn't require him to engage with bigger opponents close to goal as much, and Nankervis with more support in the ruck, that dynamic changed significantly.

The other member of that infamous quintet, Aarts summed up the other big difference today, which was a clear effort to improve our technical approach to the physical contest. Without having done the full analysis, the number of high contacts in tackled we conceded was well down, as were any free kicks out of play. There's no doubt we reflected on the Brisbane game and tidied up our approach in this regard.

Countering that was the fact that Adelaide was very sloppy in their tackling approach, especially early in the game and gave us a lot of cheap free kicks. The show was on the other foot for a change.

I won't do the full analysis this week (because I have a feeling it might show a fair bit missed to Adelaide and spoil the vibe :rolleyes:) but today was a huge step in understanding the reason for the free kick counts and addressing some of those issues.
Geez you have a healthy ego.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users