Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The officiating is dire, and there is a disparity between how Teams are officiated.

Cats, Dogs, and Skunks get a ride that others could only dream of.

Reactions: 4 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Well, we won despite getting screwed once again by the cheating umpires.
At 3/4 time we had only received 6 frees....that is for 3 quarters of footy.
At least we managed to finally get 10, but one was in the last seconds of the game.
Effectively we only got 9 frees for the whole game, and not sure how many of those were for oonf.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Still wondering why Nank was told to play on in a frantic moment. Marked the ball and then just 5 seconds later the flog blew the whistle when Nank was ready to line up.

Reactions: 1 users

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
Well, we won despite getting screwed once again by the cheating umpires.
At 3/4 time we had only received 6 frees....that is for 3 quarters of footy.
At least we managed to finally get 10, but one was in the last seconds of the game.
Effectively we only got 9 frees for the whole game, and not sure how many of those were for oonf.
They love shafting us most weeks. And it’s noticeable how we hardly get any 50m penalties yet the oppo do for similar situations.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
*smile* the maggots. Some idiot might think they'll make a tasty feed one day, but not a chance in hell the bastards will ever be on my plate.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Still no manners

You mean this link https://aflua.com.au/laws/

What happens in the missing 53 years?

Yes, that is the link, no change to the handball definition in the missing years, you can see that by the fact it is 1 word different from the definition back in the 1970s.

As I said earlier, what has changed is technique, and the decision by the AFL has clearly been to not call the overhead handballs (which were not common years ago, but probably happened occasionally) and marginal handballs as throws. No rule change, not even really an interpretation change. What happened is the players pushed the boundary of what is a handball and they decided that it was ok.

The trouble is that we are seeing, week after week, blatant throws which contradict the rule as written by the AFL and as published by the AFL, and they are not penalised. It is all part of the AFL's quest to reduce the number of free kicks per game even if this means not paying all the infringements the umpires see. It is a recipe for the grossly inconsistent mess we currently see.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Still wondering why Nank was told to play on in a frantic moment. Marked the ball and then just 5 seconds later the flog blew the whistle when Nank was ready to line up.
Yep no idea. But didn’t apply to GWS players.

And yes he gives frees away but the opposition are allowed to make contact to his head whenever they like. Three I saw today and nothing. He breathes on an opposition player and it’s a free.

• Angry

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Cheating bastards.
Taranto held with 2 hands around the head, he didn’t duck.
Nank nearly had his head torn off his shoulders, play on.
I forget who it was, Short? Had the kick GWS took a long step toward him after being told to stand, play on.
GWS ruckman, clear and blatant throw, called by the commentators ,play on
How many htb decisions were just let go when our players had them cold. Especially the last qtr. Commentators even called them

On and on it goes. They can gagf. Cheating, corrupt, inept pricks

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
How many times do we get told play on after a mark? And those play ons, not 15. A couple of those calls were extremely dodgy. It's more the immense inconsistency than anything else.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yep no idea. But didn’t apply to GWS players.

And yes he gives frees away but the opposition are allowed to make contact to his head whenever they like. Three I saw today and nothing. He breathes on an opposition player and it’s a free.
No frees against Nanks today. Maybe that's why umps were so frustrated and wouldn't give him a free either.

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
Taranto consistently held at centre ball ups, but they find one to them
Bolton was being held as well. They managed to see the frees against us. Today was terrible umpiring. We very rarely get a holding the ball free.

Dustintime

Tiger Rookie
Oct 12, 2022
Yes, that is the link, no change to the handball definition in the missing years, you can see that by the fact it is 1 word different from the definition back in the 1970s.

I see up to 1970 and I see 2023 what about the 53 years in between?

Because there might just have been some pretty big changes in that period especially around the rules and who controlled them

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I see up to 1970 and I see 2023 what about the 53 years in between?

Because there might just have been some pretty big changes in that period especially around the rules and who controlled them

You really are clutching at straws.

The rule reads the same as it did in 1970, the grammar and the sentence are the same with a couple of words different.

There is no evidence of a rule change to the handball rule since 1966, have a look here: https://www.afl.com.au/about-afl/history/rule-changes It is a pretty badly put together page but there is no change to the definition of a handball.

In any case, this started when you claimed that they should never have allowed players to handball from above their head. As I pointed out, and as the rules show, that was never outside the definition of a handball.

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Taranto consistently held at centre ball ups, but they find one to them
Yeh noticed him being held at lots of stoppages yet he couldn’t get a free at any.

He just gets on with it though. Admirable

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
there were a couple of lucky ones our way. The himmelburg OOF that wasn’t resulted in a goal. The Toby non mark/free that wasn’t paid. No doubt Toby kicks that goal.
They missed a few obvious ones but didn’t think it was their worst game this year.
There was an advantage paid yo GWS that resulted in a goal to them. Part of the advantage included Tom Greene getting tackled and dropping it. It spilled to GWS. Ump paid advantage after the illegal disposal. The ball should have gone back to the original free.
We won so the umps CGAGF.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users