Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Start of the press conference, journalist says “so 0-3, 6 forced changes, including 1 just before the game and the umpiring definitely not the problem…”.
Media appear to be noticing the farce.

Reactions: 1 user
Start of the press conference, journalist says “so 0-3, 6 forced changes, including 1 just before the game and the umpiring definitely not the problem…”.
Media appear to be noticing the farce.
I posted this in the Ooze thread. Was he asked "not" or "are"? Ooze showed a wry smile coz he knows this bs happens now.

Reactions: 1 users
That got me big time. The difference between that and the 1 that Rozee got a 50 for right before half time was what exactly? I thought our hit was even in the contest yet the 1 on Mansell was clearly after the contest. There was another on the same wing, where someone marked the ball and wanted to play on, got held before they could move by a player that wasn't in the marking contest at all. What excuse is there to not pay a 50? I just don't understand what they see sometimes, and to cap it off with that Dixon free at the end when we'd had to watch Lynch get man handled all the game without getting a thing was the icing on the top. Bloody corrupt *smile*.
soldo got some soft frees. He must have thought wow, never got these at Richmond ..!

To get anything formally done we'd need data that formally codes every decision and non-decision by an independent trusted expert - that could say whether missed, 50:50 or correct.

I'd want it collated by umpire because I'm pretty sure my eyes don't deceive me.

We'd also want some kind of 'consistency within a game / within a season type of metric - because i think this is what infuriates the most.

I've just given up though - not a good vibe where you literally think that there is a conspiracy / agenda going on.

Used to just think we'd get unlucky sometimes (Brett Allisons dive in the 95 finals, or the non HTB paid to Edwards, also against north in the finals) - but its gone to something different now. Its hard to feel that the AFL didn't somehow send out a directive to stop the dynasty with both rule changes and influence of the umpires to point out things where we were pushign the line.

Reactions: 4 users
They just mentioned HTB on First Crack. They showed 7 teams (of which we were one) where the average HTB free kick was paid in 3% of tackles. I think they showed 5 or 6 clips of clear HTB frees from those 7 teams (which included Port Adelaide), they showed 3 clips alone of our tackles not being rewarded out of those 6 (I think there was 1 Geelong, 1 GC, 1 I can't remember and 3 Richmond).

Reactions: 2 users
They just mentioned HTB on First Crack. They showed 7 teams (of which we were one) where the average HTB free kick was paid in 3% of tackles. I think they showed 5 or 6 clips of clear HTB frees from those 7 teams (which included Port Adelaide), they showed 3 clips alone of our tackles not being rewarded out of those 6 (I think there was 1 Geelong, 1 GC, 1 I can't remember and 3 Richmond).
Yes, 388 tackles and only 11 frees paid.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
To get anything formally done we'd need data that formally codes every decision and non-decision by an independent trusted expert - that could say whether missed, 50:50 or correct.

I'd want it collated by umpire because I'm pretty sure my eyes don't deceive me.

We'd also want some kind of 'consistency within a game / within a season type of metric - because i think this is what infuriates the most.

I've just given up though - not a good vibe where you literally think that there is a conspiracy / agenda going on.

Used to just think we'd get unlucky sometimes (Brett Allisons dive in the 95 finals, or the non HTB paid to Edwards, also against north in the finals) - but its gone to something different now. Its hard to feel that the AFL didn't somehow send out a directive to stop the dynasty with both rule changes and influence of the umpires to point out things where we were pushign the line.
It would be impossible because in isolation, almost every decision is justifiable. The frustrating thing is to wonder what the call would be if it was the other way, and taking into account the player(s) involved. There was a 50/50 high tackle against Pickett today that wasn't paid but you just know that the reverse would have been paid every day of the week.

The Lynch (non) goal did it for me.

It would be impossible because in isolation, almost every decision is justifiable. The frustrating thing is to wonder what the call would be if it was the other way, and taking into account the player(s) involved. There was a 50/50 high tackle against Pickett today that wasn't paid but you just know that the reverse would have been paid every day of the week.

The Lynch (non) goal did it for me.
That’s what I was trying to say. Call out the 50:50 ones and see what percentage are for/against/neutral. The numbers won’t lie.

I mean we have it where a player gets htb for not disposing of it when it is touched and he doesn’t hear it (houlhi) and then we have about 100 other examples where it is not paid. Both technically correct. Now I don’t watch every other game but I watch pretty much most of ours.

We have the rushed behind not under pressure in round 0 that is technically correct but we have seen not get paid 100 times.

If all these 1 in 100s are against us and never for us you have to say wtf. Now at the same time we are way less likely to remember the ones that go our way 1. Because there aren’t that many 😝 2. Because that’s human psychology. Need an independent 3rd party.

I dont know if its because im biased ..or because richmond are so inept and undisciplined or if something far more sinister is behind the last 5 years of richmond getting the least free kicks and giving away thw most .Its made me so angry ,frustrated and bewildered .I end up swearing and losing my temper,which i never do otherwise .
The same with my tiger mad girlfriend .
We talked about it after yesterdays game and come to a desicion to keep our memberships but stop going to games as its just to damaging to our mental health, im to old to deal with the extra blood pressure because of infuriating umpiring and rules .

Reactions: 6 users
soldo got some soft frees. He must have thought wow, never got these at Richmond ..!

In 2020, we famously lost 2 games due to poor discipline. Port Adelaide in the home and away season that nearly stuffed up our top 4 chances. And the Brisbane qualifying final. In both games I believe it was a strategy for them to get under our skin and we fell for it. Of course, we did learn from it and won the flag.

But now, I'm actually starting to wonder if teams strategise against us knowing they’re gonna get a good run with the umpires. And when I say a good run, I’m not talking about us losing our heads over discipline as per my example in 2020. Its more about “everyone knows Richmond cop it, so lets make the most of it.”

What I’m asking is… would a Port Adelaide have a conversation in a team meeting during the week about… “do we exaggerate contact here, do we flop there, because we know we’re gonna get a good run?” Being at the game yesterday, I was convinced it was a tactic from them.

I'm especially infuriated over the Butters incident. The MRP MUST cite him for flopping.

im confused by the disparity between 2nd div and 1st div umpiring.

I watched the VFL on Saturday, and simply didn't notice the umpires.

then in the AFL, they were the pantomime villains, occupying centre stage.

why is this so?

there has to be a reason.

same umps, drawn from the same pool, attend the same training, umpiring the same game with the same rules

and yet the difference is vast.

there's a few major differences between VFL and AFL

1. The size of the crowd

2. The betting hold.

3. the speed of the game and

4. media scrutiny

the answer must be found here?

I can't see the AFL being motivated to sort it out with record crowds and TV rights.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There was a free paid to Mansell in the 3rd quarter which he goaled from, it was pretty obvious. Controlling umpire is standing boundary side looking straight at it, refuses to pay it. Non controlling umpire from the centre of the field comes running along and pays the free correctly. Why does the non controlling ump have to over rule an umpire closer for a decision that is stone wall, it wasn't even a 50/50, more like a 90/10 and the controlling umpire from 10m away won't pay it. That tells me there is clearly a conscious or unconscious bias.