Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Yeah, it was 50. He didnt get him hard in the head, or really go through him. But it is 50 every time. (except when it is not.)
I reckon if the situation was reversed we would not have got a 50m penalty and our player would have got a stern talking to by one of the maggots for falling in a heap.

Reactions: 1 user
I reckon if the situation was reversed we would not have got a 50m penalty and our player would have got a stern talking to by one of the maggots for falling in a heap.
I couldnt possibly imagine a time when one of our players got cannoned into after they marked the ball and a 50 wasnt paid.

I couldnt possibly imagine a time when one of our players got cannoned into after they marked the ball and a 50 wasnt paid.
I couldn’t have imagined that almost every 50/50 free kick would be paid against us but here we are.

Reactions: 1 users
So I got a response from the club -

"Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and share your concerns regarding recent events involving our players and the inconsistencies in umpiring decisions. We appreciate your loyalty as a proud member of our club, and we understand your frustration.

We want to assure you that we share your concerns and have been actively engaging with the league and its officials regarding these issues. While we empathize with your disappointment, it is important to note that umpiring decisions are ultimately out of our control as a club. The AFL strives to maintain a fair and consistent system, but we acknowledge that mistakes and perceived biases can occur.

We understand your desire for transparency and accountability from the league and its rule makers. We have been vocal about our concerns and have sought clarification on various decisions. However, it is a complex process, and change takes time. We are actively working behind the scenes to address these issues, but unfortunately, there is not much more we can do in terms of immediate action.

We genuinely appreciate your ongoing support and loyalty as a member of our club. Your passion for the Tigers is important to us, and we want you to know that your voice is heard. While we cannot guarantee the outcome of every match or control external factors, we remain committed to striving for success on and off the field.

If you have any further questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We value your feedback and will continue to do our best to represent the interests of our members and supporters.

Thank you once again for your understanding and unwavering support."

and my reply -

"Thanks for your prompt reply.

This has been going on for long enough and needs to stop. There are no perceived biases, make no mistake - it's as clear as the reason the AFL and Hocking brought in the stand rule. I understand it's out of the clubs control and you have asked for clarification in the background, however all you'll get from the AFL is lip service - nothing surer.

What I and many supporters are asking is the club leaders call out the obvious bias publicly in press conferences and in the general media. This needs to get traction so people see what's going on. I'm confident the majority of the membership base will help the club out with any fines they were to sanction us with. There is no way a club like Collingwood would tolerate and play nice if they were treated like this.

We've had enough."

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

"Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and share your concerns regarding recent events involving our players and the inconsistencies in umpiring decisions. We appreciate your loyalty as a proud member of our club, and we understand your frustration.

We want to assure you that we share your concerns and have been actively engaging with the league and its officials regarding these issues. While we empathize with your disappointment, it is important to note that umpiring decisions are ultimately out of our control as a club. The AFL strives to maintain a fair and consistent system, but we acknowledge that mistakes and perceived biases can occur.

We understand your desire for transparency and accountability from the league and its rule makers. We have been vocal about our concerns and have sought clarification on various decisions. However, it is a complex process, and change takes time. We are actively working behind the scenes to address these issues, but unfortunately, there is not much more we can do in terms of immediate action.

We genuinely appreciate your ongoing support and loyalty as a member of our club. Your passion for the Tigers is important to us, and we want you to know that your voice is heard. While we cannot guarantee the outcome of every match or control external factors, we remain committed to striving for success on and off the field.

If you have any further questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We value your feedback and will continue to do our best to represent the interests of our members and supporters.

and my reply -

This has been going on for long enough and needs to stop. There are no perceived biases, make no mistake - it's as clear as the reason the AFL and Hocking brought in the stand rule. I understand it's out of the clubs control and you have asked for clarification in the background, however all you'll get from the AFL is lip service - nothing surer.

What I and many supporters are asking is the club leaders call out the obvious bias publicly in press conferences and in the general media. This needs to get traction so people see what's going on. I'm confident the majority of the membership base will help the club out with any fines they were to sanction us with. There is no way a club like Collingwood would tolerate and play nice if they were treated like this.

We've had enough."
Well said Harry.

and my reply -

We've had enough."
Formal response is all you (we) can get from the club. Good reply harry. As they can see these responses from the members, they can hopefully push the boundaries a bit.

We are currently 2nd last for average frees for. That will change by next week, and we will be last. Again.

Dwayne Russell is one guy who is onto the rort. He's said a couple of times the last few weeks that he used to follow the media crowd when it came to Richmond i.e. that it was our game style (bullsht) that caused a big free kick differential blah blah blah.

But he admitted he was wrong. He said he went back over years of data and the issue is that Richmond get so few free kicks from the umpires compared to every other team in the league and that this was the real issue. He correctly pointed out that Richmond doesnt play some "strange style" that solicits so fewer frees than the other 17 teams.

He questioned what was going on in the umpiring department where the officiating of Richmond games was concerned and that answers needed to be provided where the lack of frees paid to us was concerned.

Yeah. Good luck with that.
Alleluia

So Zac Butters has been fined for staging presumably? I mean come on, he went down like he'd been shot by a sniper or a European soccer player in the penalty box. The AFL were clear that there would be no tolerance at all for staging. Instead he gets rewarded.

Compare that to the 50 given against Shai for showing disappointment/dissent (Please stop that Shai btw) and ask yourself which one of these deserved a 50m penalty and goal. Once again both decisions went against Richmond. With momentum being the buzz word in footy, both of these either killed our momentum or doubled theirs.

Death, taxes and Richmond being shafted by the umps. Take those three to the bank.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't bet, but would there be a market for AFL teams regarding winning/losing free kick counts?

If there is, I might have to start a betting fund.

So Zac Butters has been fined for staging presumably? I mean come on, he went down like he'd been shot by a sniper or a European soccer player in the penalty box. The AFL were clear that there would be no tolerance at all for staging. Instead he gets rewarded.

Compare that to the 50 given against Shai for showing disappointment/dissent (Please stop that Shai btw) and ask yourself which one of these deserved a 50m penalty and goal. Once again both decisions went against Richmond. With momentum being the buzz word in footy, both of these either killed our momentum or doubled theirs.

Death, taxes and Richmond being shafted by the umps. Take those three to the bank.
I'm not going to bother watching it again, but didn't Bolton place the ball on his palm to let the Port player grab it, but for the sake of it, the Port player just ran away from Bolton intentionally bumping his hand so the ball could drop off causing the 50?

I don't bet, but would there be a market for AFL teams regarding winning/losing free kick counts?

If there is, I might have to start a betting fund.
That would be a great one.

Imagine west coast at home 1.08 to win free kick count.

Geelong 1.12

Crows vs interstate team 1.31

Richmond anywhere 5.21

Richmond at west coast 20.50

Love to see the afl deal with that.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I’d add you surely legally you can’t add betting on free kicks since the potential for corruption just goes up exponentially.

I'm not going to bother watching it again, but didn't Bolton place the ball on his palm to let the Port player grab it, but for the sake of it, the Port player just ran away from Bolton intentionally bumping his hand so the ball could drop off causing the 50?
Nah, he pointed at the scoreboard. Pretty sure that s 50 every time. (except when it is not.)

and my reply -

We've had enough."
Good job. Be nice to know if the club has done any work to prove if there is any bias or would like to crowd source it out to passionate fans who want to watch and clip hours of video.