Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Just *smile* off the stand rule.
We have had a gutfull afl and this is your mistake, stop trying to make it work by adding other rules to make it look better, cos it’s only mucking up the game even more. IT IS A BLIGHT ON FOOTBALL and anyone who says differently have NFI.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Brad Johnson making a good point, including video evidence, showing 50m penalties are often actually 60m. Makes a good point and sensibly made. Its a big penalty at 50, to hand an extra 10 which can bring you within range or make a marginal shot easier, is not acceptable. Wow, sensible umpire criticism, amazing.

One of his examples was the Ridley one tonight that resulted in a regulation set shot goal from 40, should have been from just outside 50.
or like against Carlscum in rd 1. Blues player gets a free just outside our 50m arc, we give away 50m and the white maggott puts our player inside their 50m arc. That really gave me the 5hitS cos it put them back in the game and cost us big time.

Reactions: 1 user
DumbMF rule. So its ok for the player to move off his line but not the player on the mark. Hocking yr a Richard Cranium.

There was 1 I think in the 1st quarter (could have been the 3rd), the Bomber has marked and had moved towards the boundary line. Sonsie was standing the mark and was gesturing to the umpire who wouldn't call play on. The Bomber was around about 10m away from Sonsie (who was still having to stand there like a pleb) when the ump eventually called play on.

Only 1 example, but there are numerous ones of these every game, its a joke of a rule, made up by a complete and utter idiot who has added absolutely nothing to the game.

Reactions: 10 users
14-17 tonight.

I've been on PRE for 20 or so years now. I don't whinge about umpires because I believe it's subjective and works out over time.

Over the passage of time since 2017 I have come to accept the teachings of the RFC-robbed-by-umpires school. It looks like bias.

I don't hate umpires. But the evidence of umpiring bias against RFC, not only in free kick disparity number, but to the eye, is compelling. FWIW I don't blame umpires. They're doing a tough job well.

But the disreputable AFilthL. Nobody trusts them.

Earlier this year some RFC fans could feel a change coming. The old (very clear) bias was a function of Gillon and his cronies. Dillon would dismantle that.

In the past month or so media gravy-trainers have begun to comment publicly on the anti RFC umpiring. Like a zeitgeist. The AFL has heard this. (Remember - change was already afoot after Corrupt Gil left.)

This feels like change. 14-17 tonight.

It will improve further from here. It was corruption but it will probably change further form here.

Do you wanna prove it was bias? Back then? (It was bias.) I can't be fagged for now. Would you like to?

Do the numbers. How long it takes to blow the whistle. That's the first place you'd look. I would cross refer that by race too. (Seen how the disreputable AFilthL umpires Marlion Pickett? Dustin Martin?) Rapid whistle is the first thing I'd look at. And slow/no whistle. The delay or immediacy of whistle might hang the AFL.

Let's see the numbers even up. I think they will. But yeah, our eyes were true. They were biased.

Reactions: 10 users
Reckon they should introduce a retro round where each game has only one central umpire that is compelled to pay frees according to the 60s rulebook.

Then have a spectator poll: better or worse.

I'd just like them to consistently pay frees according to the current rule book.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
Dyer'ere, I cannot agree they are doing a tough job well.

Yes, the game is hard to adjudicate and the rule changes have made it harder.

But, the following is ridiculous:

RFC Frees F&A 2010-2024 to R10 2024.jpg

Free Kick chart 2024 to round 10.jpg

Sorry about this one, not exporting as an image very well, names are a long distance from the dots, no idea why, what a mess!

Free Kick chart 2017 to 2024 Rd10.jpg

It is damning, and not for a short period of time either, the consistent low number of free kicks granted to Richmond players, and high number conceded has been going on for 7 and a half years - 3 coaches, player turnover with a bunch of younger players coming in and older players retiring, rule changes, presumably some change in the umpires - none of this makes a difference.

Call it what you want but it sure looks like bias to me.

DS

PS: I'll update for Round 11 early next week after AFL Tables updates when all games are played, hopefully it will fix the 2024 chart.

Attachments

• Free Kick chart 2024 to round 10.jpg
    Free Kick chart 2024 to round 10.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 5 users
Dyer'ere, I cannot agree they are doing a tough job well.

Yes, the game is hard to adjudicate and the rule changes have made it harder.

But, the following is ridiculous:

View attachment 22851

View attachment 22853

Sorry about this one, not exporting as an image very well, names are a long distance from the dots, no idea why, what a mess!

View attachment 22854

It is damning, and not for a short period of time either, the consistent low number of free kicks granted to Richmond players, and high number conceded has been going on for 7 and a half years - 3 coaches, player turnover with a bunch of younger players coming in and older players retiring, rule changes, presumably some change in the umpires - none of this makes a difference.

Call it what you want but it sure looks like bias to me.

DS

PS: I'll update for Round 11 early next week after AFL Tables updates when all games are played, hopefully it will fix the 2024 chart.
My point, David, is only that their failures are due to lack of training (Disreputable AFilthL) rather than individual failure.

Your numbers are compelling.

Reactions: 2 users
The 9m rule. They called Essendon players back. But Cumberland was penalised immediately.
And then the *smile* stand rule.
Martin 55 out STAND STAND STAND STAND STAND but NO 50.
Once again we lose a close game where a 50 has contributed to the loss.
Carlton rnd 1 the Viking
And last night to Ridley.

Reactions: 6 users
The 9m rule. They called Essendon players back. But Cumberland was penalised immediately.
Carlton rnd 1 the Viking
The one against Shai resulted in a goal and the one Dusty didn't get cost us a certain goal as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Carlton rnd 1 the Viking
Spot on Zips. Everyone knows the 9m rule, just *smile* penalise it every time or do not. Why do they keep saying, outside the 9???? Players going inside it do so trying to delay the game. Everyone *smile* knows it.

No opponent (when we have played them) has ever been penalised for this since brought in, yet we have copped it multiple times. *smile* you AFL and *smile* you midget twerps.

Reactions: 3 users
And how often did Essendon hand over on mthe mark last night and not get penalised. Or stand for a second or two and then back off? What a shitshow this rule has become.

Reactions: 4 users
Reckon there's going to be a quiet AFL memo doing the rounds of the clubs and meedjia by the end of next round. Instructing all and sundry to stop bullying the Maggots over their incompetence. Then it'll be all apologies they're doing a difficult job under heavy internal scrutiny and any and all external commentary is driving them all out of the industry n under the doona with the lights off n curtains drawn.

Reactions: 1 users
Spot on Zips. Everyone knows the 9m rule, just *smile* penalise it every time or do not. Why do they keep saying, outside the 9???? Players going inside it do so trying to delay the game. Everyone *smile* knows it.

No opponent (when we have played them) has ever been penalised for this since brought in, yet we have copped it multiple times. *smile* you AFL and *smile* you midget twerps.

I'll have to go back and see the Essendon ones where they were inside the 9, but the umps seem to have patience when the "offending" player starts from within 9m. Ie. they are on the marking player and have to then come back to the 9m from their starting position when the mark was taken. Cumbo came from outside the 9m and went inside last night. Personally I had no issue with that decision as I think its a fairly clear rule, whether I agree that it adds to the game or not is largely irrelevant as its a rule thats easy to understand.

The Shai one was ridiculous IMO, no impact on the game, they allow handovers at marking contests at will throughout the game, Shai does it and its 50. They seem to look out for Shai for these for some reason.

Reactions: 2 users
problem is,the current rulebook is fluid.

Its not so much the current rule book, of which the 2023 version is the latest version they have on the umps web site, but the way they adjudicate which is fluid.

If you read the rules they are not that complex. For example - if no prior opportunity when tackled you must attempt to dispose of the ball legally but you can get away with disposing not legally if you make the attempt; if you have had prior opportunity you must dispose of the ball legally, an attempt is not sufficient. Now there is some interpretation here in terms of what is prior opportunity and what is an attempt to dispose of the ball legally, but it is way less complicated than they make it out to be and the massive inconsistencies in adjudication cannot be explained by the rules.

Holding the man is even easier. You can bump, you can push as long as it is not in the back. You cannot hold - this is easy to see, if you grab or put your arms around an opponent then that is holding - simples!

DS

Reactions: 1 users
I'll have to go back and see the Essendon ones where they were inside the 9, but the umps seem to have patience when the "offending" player starts from within 9m. Ie. they are on the marking player and have to then come back to the 9m from their starting position when the mark was taken. Cumbo came from outside the 9m and went inside last night. Personally I had no issue with that decision as I think its a fairly clear rule, whether I agree that it adds to the game or not is largely irrelevant as its a rule thats easy to understand.
Agree with that. They should only say it to remind the player to back off.

But i have seen players come from outside against us (not this game specifically) and not get done. We have been done multiple times.

Reactions: 1 user