Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Actually don't have a problem with players falling down when they are getting crashed into off the ball. Imbeciles in suits at H.Q. keep grand standing n announcing that they're going to stop players from whacking n elbowing off the ball, but suspensions to harsh n fines are cheap so players keep right on doing it. So every now and again a player who's been gut punched, elbowed and trodden on for a couple of hours has a half second brain fart n gets vilified through the media n a holiday from the tribunal while the sniper walks away laughing n keeps doing **** week after week.
Happy for players to go as hard as they like in the contest for the ball, hold their ground and body position when setting up for the next contest. But it's bloody 2020 next year not the dark ages and well past time for players to be held accountable for unnecessary illegal actions off the contest.

You want to whack, elbow or run into another player off the ball, well, you take the risk of giving away a free. Just how it is. Fine, take the risk, but if you give away a free, even if the player you infringed against exaggerates the contact, it was your choice to infringe off the ball.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Just adding to the unpopular opinion, I think Dylan was a tad fortunate to get maybe one of, if not both of those frees off the ball. Yes he was knocked over but as much as I absolutely love him as a player, he is over emphasising contact occasionally.
Just as he is so adept at utilising his pointy bits and agility to knock blokes about, I don't want him using his peripheral vision and end up being labelled a stager. Possibly no one else sees it as a problem, just my opinion.
It has replaced his previous ducking ability, don't get me wrong, absolutely love the guy, but he used to be just as good as Duckwood at drawing high contact, but it has disappeared in the last couple of years.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
And we return to normal transmission.

Carlton 24 frees, Richmond 18.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

Carltons 12 goals = 8 from frees as its been happening every season when we play them first up.

Yea some were from undisciplined play by our boys but not 8.

Yet down our end always a different story.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Carlton 8 goals from free kicks o_O

Granted a few were from uncharacteristic undisciplined Richmond play.

I said during the game that the Dumpires are making a clear stand on defenders holding, hence all those free kicks against Astbury. But the same thing happened numerous times to Lynch last night and het gets nothing. its so infuriating. I wonder if this a remnant from the Grimes v Cameron controversy late last season?

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I said during the game that the Dumpires are making a clear stand on defenders holding, hence all those free kicks against Astbury. But the same thing happened numerous times to Lynch last night and het gets nothing. its so infuriating. I wonder if this a remnant from the Grimes v Cameron controversy late last season?
Spot on Bin Man.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

And Astbury gave away 90% of them.
They were all there. But seriously Catasgna was held, hit high in the face for no free kick.
At one stage played stopped, when the Carlton player disposed of the ball incorrectly for the peanut to call play on.
We got the free's in the first half, but we totally bamboozled in the 2nd half.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Always seems to happen first game.
Umpires get over zealous.
Unsure why it's always against us and not for us.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Actually just read that Dimma said we gave away 8 goals from free kicks. Not sure if he is mistaken.

That may have included frees down the ground that resulted in goals but not to the original receiver of the free. Stats show Carlton received 6 frees in their forward 50 and believe me I was counting them during the game :).

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
At the start of the game I thought the umps had jumped on the Tiger bandwagon. 2 soft frees/50s. Then that was it.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Sure they converted 8??

Stand to be corrected!

I've checked every goal to settle matters :).

Q1 Goal 1 - was a free but paid advantage so would have been a goal anyway - not counted therefore as a goal from a free
Q1 Goal 2 - goal from free
Q2 Goal 3 - goal from free
Q3 Goal 4 - goal from free
Q3 Goal 6 - Carlton guy was in goal square unmarked and would have marked anyway but Broad hit him in the head for free. goal from free strictly speaking but would Q3 have been a goal anyway
Q3 Goal 8 - free upfield against Cotchin, then Astbury illegally took player to ground behind play so 50 metre penatly and they scored a goal so yeah goal from free
Q4 Goal 9 goal from free

So anywhere from 5 to 7 goals from frees depending on which way you look at it. Carlton should have been 1 goal at half time as goals 2 and 3 were total BS.

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
Appears the Richmond handicap has resumed, only to be removed in the GF when we get decent umpires, apart from Chamberlain..