Umpires today | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpires today

SkunkDen

Richmond Tigers - Start of a new era
Oct 10, 2007
melbourne
they have been pretty good for the recent weeks leading up to round 16 but this week was a shocker. i watched ess vs dogs on TV and atteneded both coll vs haw and rich vs roos and in all 3 games the umpires clearly lost control of the game when it came to being consistant in there decision making. in all 3 games one team copped it considerably worse than the other; essendon, collingwood and the tiges. hopefully it was just a bad week because the garbage they dished up this round was unforgivable. that aside giving up a 7 goal half time lead was worse than unforgivable, umpires decisions shouldnt have any bearing on the fact that we stopped running both ways in the 2nd half.

Gordietiger

The Rolls Royce!
Apr 14, 2004
Disgraceful--it was the inconsistent decision making that gave me the sh#ts--a hold in the ball at one end is given at the other---not just once or twice either!!

kengroovy

Older punt roader from the 1960's
May 21, 2006
Melbourne
SkunkDen said:
they have been pretty good for the recent weeks leading up to round 16 but this week was a shocker. i watched ess vs dogs on TV and atteneded both coll vs haw and rich vs roos and in all 3 games the umpires clearly lost control of the game when it came to being consistant in there decision making. in all 3 games one team copped it considerably worse than the other; essendon, collingwood and the tiges. hopefully it was just a bad week because the garbage they dished up this round was unforgivable. that aside giving up a 7 goal half time lead was worse than unforgivable, umpires decisions shouldnt have any bearing on the fact that we stopped running both ways in the 2nd half.
Worst all year and 90% went against us, except probably the last one in the dying moments. It was so bad that it can break ones spirit. There were too many that were indescribable. Edwards free kick against - dont you have to be tackled first ? Time to pay the umps a lot more, make them full-time and get some ex players in there. Make it more attractive.

Mr Magic

The Centre of Perfection
Dec 7, 2006
I agree the umpires were a disgrace. Fancy giving a free against Hale when we was about to win the game for them.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
I too am frustrated with the standard of umpiring. I believe that this is something that must be fairly and squarely laid at the feet of the AFL. Every bloody week they seem to want some rule interpreted diffrently. And they want to eliminate too much of the rough stuff, which seems to limit the umpire's ability to let the game flow.

Is it any wonder that the men in white look so bad. Yeah they make mistakes, but we need to blame the AFL IMO. Get it right you morons at AFL HQ.

yellow_and_black

Dare To Dream
Jun 5, 2005
I hope Giesch has this bloke working in the Mongolian salt mines by next week.

Damien%20Sully%20(large).JPG

ILuvLids

Tiger Superstar
Sep 7, 2006
They were terrible today! Shane Crawford even gave them the three votes for the worst on the ground! lol
There were some terrible decisions today and we only had 1 free kick in our forward 50. Most of the Roos goals came from free kicks in their forward 50. I know we have to take some of the blame but we were hard done by the umps today.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
im really dirty on the mongrels cost north at least 3 goals and us a pp. hang draw and quarter the lot of them.

mtench

Tiger Champion
May 9, 2007
WINCHELSEA
Did anybody notice Gibson kick the ball away after Morton kicked his goal at the end? Seem to remember the same sort of thing costing us a free kick and goal against Geelong earlier in the year(when McGuane punch the ball after a goal was kicked).

yellow_and_black

Dare To Dream
Jun 5, 2005
Just had a thought (ouch ;) )

Umpires are human too (so they say) and therefore some of them must support Aussie Rules.

And if so, some of them must barrack for particular teams.

I wonder if there is a register somewhere of which umpires support which teams? ???

yellow_and_black

Dare To Dream
Jun 5, 2005
Digglers Ghost said:
that's one dorky lookin' mofo!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23589561-19742,00.html

AFL umpire Damien Sully has been dropped after a series of wonky centre bounces. Sully's now-infamous bounce in the North Melbourne-Collingwood clash on Saturday night was more the final straw than a one-off blunder.

Video footage reveals Sully's struggles this season.

AFL umpires director Jeff Gieschen yesterday confirmed Sully's ongoing battle with the difficult skill.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
It wasn't a stella performance, but geez I didn't think it was that bad to be honest.

What lost us the game was going back to dithering around on the back line and poor/wasted disposal and bad decision making. It wasn't until they got in front that we took a couple of risks (with the wind I might add). It also looked like we run out of puff a bit.

Not a big fan, but I'll actually give McMahon a clap and say that he really put in when we needed someone. That pass to Jack that would have been for a set shot when we were still up was a beaut (pity Jack dropped it)

We had them on toast and let them back in. As GPB said, move on.