umpiring | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

umpiring

tony

Its time to get serious
Jul 29, 2003
portland vic
Gidday everyone, unfortunately l only saw the last qtr,due to working,but i counted only 1 free kick in that term compared to 9.The umpiring was so biased, it was a joke.Its hard enough to win aginst interstate teams at the best of times, but its a lot harder when your playing against 25 instead of 22.
My name is Tony ,a first time writer and i want to know what you think.
Regards Tony

SkiddyMcGhee

Us and Them, Over and Over again
Jan 29, 2003
Sandringham, Melbourne
Welcome Tony,

yeah the umpiring was pretty average, but at the end of the day, it wasn't the difference, nor was the wind.

Just too few doing too little or choosing wrong options under pressure.

Bell was the difference.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Hiya Tony, welcome to PuntRoadEnd. :)

I won't watch the game till tomorrow but I was surprised on the radio how even the free kicks were till the last quarter. I guess we usually assume interstate games will be one sided, with good cause of course.

I have a concern about umpiring in general. I don't believe in bagging them really, but I think the AFL are in big trouble umpire wise. They really aren't up to standard and can have to much influence on the outcome of the game. I question whether Geish is doing much to improve umpiring too.

It must be a bit of a worry if they aren't getting quality umpires to take the job up.

There are umpires out there now who just aren't up to it imo. Just like Richmond scraping the barrel to field a team most weeks, I think the umpiring talent is spread pretty thin too.

Not a good situation.

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Well the umpiring was shocking today, just disgraceful.

You know there is something wrong, when a player goes for a mark, and all the other players (oppositon team included) stop and wait for him to line up, but the ump doesnt blow the whistle to signal a mark. Ala Holland today.

there were frees paid thast shouldnt have been
there were frees that should have been paid but wernt.

Nice of the umps to ruin a good game of footy... ::)

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
I just want to know why McManus was given a free kick after a perfect tackle from Tim Fleming on the outer wing.

I have to stop watching the Tigers play on the telly. One day i'll chuck a beer bottle through the screen.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Tehre were too many hometown decisions in this game. *smile*. Sydney got robbed by umpiring too, that decision on Carey being in play when he was a metre over the line. Still we lost by over 20 points so umpiring really cant be the focus but i do agree it was bad.

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
I agree that the umpiring probably didn't cost us the game, but it definitely favoured the home team. It was breathtakingly bad at times. Not just those crappy decisions in freo's forward 50 but the decisions not made at the other end... Umpires are not deaf and clearly reacted to the home crowd. Richo cannot touch another player yet gets belted everytime he goes for a mark

I think all the umps were from WA and one was a first-gamer. I know he has to start somewhere sometime, but I hope he gets constructive criticism this week. His performance was pretty weak.