VFL Gameday V Northern Bullants 2:05pm | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VFL Gameday V Northern Bullants 2:05pm

Holmes had played ONE NAB League game, as a bottom-ager, for 15 disposals. His athletic profile was well-known, but still, it was an inspired and gutsy decision by Wells to take him that early when most had him a lateor rookie pick.
Nah, we were just to lazy to call out his name.

Reactions: 1 user
We went into the draft with 2 picks- we used them on Samson Ryan and MRjr.
Out if interest which would you prefer we dont have?
Nah, we also had our first-rounder that we traded to Geelong (the Holmes pick) for their 2021 first rounder at the draft.

Reactions: 1 users
Nah, we also had our first-rounder that we traded to Geelong (the Holmes pick) for their 2021 first rounder at the draft.
But we only had 2 spots to fill. If we used pick 20, we wouldn't have used pick 51- MRjr.

But we only had 2 spots to fill. If we used pick 20, we wouldn't have used pick 51- MRjr.
Don't clubs have to have three spots available going into the draft (and can use them to upgrade rookies)? I have the feeling we left a spot open for the pre-season supplemental, when we re-listed Egg and picked up Mansell.

Yeah that makes more sense.

We were always taking MJ (and would have budgeted getting him for a late pick).

Yeah.

Clarke rightly saw the 2021 draft as chockers with talent, and like everyone but Wells it seems, didn't rate Holmes a first-round talent in 2020. (Maybe someone else did and that's why the Cats pounced.)

Anyway, Brown is a very talented kid. I think he'll play quite a bit next year.

Don't clubs have to have three spots available going into the draft (and can use them to upgrade rookies)? I have the feeling we left a spot open for the pre-season supplemental, when we re-listed Egg and picked up Mansell.
ive got a vague memory that was waived for that draft, after the Covid interrupted season.

I
We went into the draft with 2 picks- we used them on Samson Ryan and MRjr.
Out if interest which would you prefer we dont have?
I take that as a rhetorical question - obviously happy with both those although each has a long way to develop yet in order to become an established AFL player.
But as Spook pointed out at #183: 'Nah, we also had our first-rounder that we traded to Geelong (the Holmes pick) for their 2021 first rounder at the draft.'

Anyway, Brown is a very talented kid. I think he'll play quite a bit next year.
Under our current team structure, who’s position does Brown take next season?
ATM they’re playing him wing/hbf in the VFL but don’t see an opening there in the seniors.
It’s why I question why we recruited more hbf’s in him and Robin when we needed true mid fielders. And key forwards

Under our current team structure, who’s position does Brown take next season?
ATM they’re playing him wing/hbf in the VFL but don’t see an opening there in the seniors.
It’s why I question why we recruited more hbf’s in him and Robin when we needed true mid fielders. And key forwards
What position did Hugo play when he was in? Mainly half-back, yeah?

I'm not saying Brown will be first-choice, but he'll get games.

Holmes had played ONE NAB League game, as a bottom-ager, for 15 disposals. His athletic profile was well-known, but still, it was an inspired and gutsy decision by Wells to take him that early when most had him a lateor rookie pick.
So an inspired selection by Geesook and Wells? Either he/they had excellent intel beyond ours and others, or sheer great luck.

Still, what was not to like about him: 189cm, 83kg (now), played 12 games in 1st year including finals, 26 AFL games total, plays wing or can run through the middle, still only 19. He's tracking very well if not anywhere near elite yet but big upside visible with a big tank, high speed and sound skills.

Meanwhile PreEnders are still locked into an endless game of searching for signs whether RCD or Dow will make it ... and the jury is still out with having played far less AFL games with neither certain to be on the list in '23.

Maybe this pricked Well's attention:
- exciting athletic attributes being the son of dual Olympian and Commonwealth Gold Medallist Lee Naylor.
- The former Under 18 National 400-metre hurdles champion and keen sprinter obviously has pace to burn on the track, making for a handy starting point in terms of high-level attributes. He recently notched a 2.80-second 20-metre sprint time at the Vic Metro Draft Combine, only confirming his strength in that area. Combined with his endurance, Holmes is able to get to contest after contest and gain good separation from his opponent on the outer.

Sure he was regarded as a high or even rookie pick and Wells showed great adventurousness in this pick, but it's looking to pay off big time. So, like I said, an inspired pick ... but pedigree counts with draft selections (look at all the great F/Ss) and athleticism is all in today's hard running game.

Brown only 4 touches? Must have sustained an injury but nothing mentioned on the website.

Brown only 4 touches? Must have sustained an injury but nothing mentioned on the website.
Don't think he was injured. Morro mentions that a lot of the play just bypassed the wings, so Brown and Clarke both had few touches.

What position did Hugo play when he was in? Mainly half-back, yeah?

I'm not saying Brown will be first-choice, but he'll get games.
Aside from where he might fit in and if we needed to stockpile further hbfs/wingers, if you go further back on this and other VFL threads, it's a little concerning that in the prior VFL game, according to reports, Dimma in attendance apparently had to go down into the rooms and roast Brown a bit for playing so poorly and it seems, maybe not going at it all that hard.

Then this latest game, he goes missing again in a big win, with 4Ds? Playing on the wing, I'd expect there would be plenty of opportunities to get involved perhaps, despite the ordinary conditions. Saw another poster speculating that maybe not keen to stay with us and looking for a way out to Geesuck after contract expires end of '23.

Hope that's all nonsense and this kid finds some desire and form again.

Last edited:
You can't knock the club for not taking Holmes.

That was just another genius Wells pick.

He's still the pre emanate recruiter of juniors in the country.

For context he averages 12.6 possessions in 26 games, about the same as Hugo Ralphsmith.

Not saying he won't be a good player, maybe he will be, but it is way too early to be calling it inspired. Going early on players either way and comparing them in their first 2-3 years is fraught with danger.

Reactions: 2 users