VFL Practice Games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VFL Practice Games

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
https://vfl.com.au/2019-practice-match-schedule/

I assume we will have another in between March 2 & Thursday March 21st

We played 4 practice games last pre season

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Saw the first 3 quarters tonight. We led by 30 odd points at 3/4/time. A few thoughts

B Ellis - started forward (dont know why as he would never play there in seniors) did a few nice things but nowhere near enough. Still does his 40 metre up and under kicks which both lack penetration and speed. Did use the ball quickly - often before any teammate was ready but would want to see a lot more before getting a promotion. Nowhere near enough gut running which is his speciality.

I Soldo - did well in the ruck but did not have enough positive impact around the ground. Did kick a nice goal but generally the rest of his good work was purely ruck work. If he wants to play seniors needs to develop more strings to his bow. Adequate replacement if Nank goes down but limited and still learning. (Could type the same for CCJ)

New kids, Ross, RCD, Turner, English all did some nice things and showed that all have a future with the right development. Probably Ross was best of them, like his work around the ball and no fuss approach. Reckon he would be the first to have a taste shoudl the opportunity arise.

Shai - did some magical stuff as he always does, just not enough. Pleasing to see him working hard though.
Pat Naish - took some telling pressure marks and geenrally solid and improved on this time last year by a fair margin.
Oleg - solid run off half back - used the ball well reliable.
Garthwaite - very reliable - looks capable of slotting in to the seniors should there be a need.
Mabor - just doesnt do enough. Some promising glimpses then gets out postioned easily. Very athletic and worth perservering with. I woudl give him a go in the ruck but with Soldo & CCJ there are few opportunities.
Sydney Stack - both him and Eggmoleese Smith played off half back and both are similar types so coudl be confusing the two but both gave good run and carry and generally used the ball well. PRomising early stages.
Callum Moore - plays from behind too much and isnt imposing. Is much better running at the ball. Did ok but expected more.
Menadue - good run and carry and used the ball well, just didnt get into damaging positions so his disposals didn't add much value but was ok.
Castagna - played first half - looked rusty but did ok - not ready to play seniors just yet.
Townsend - played first half - usual honest hard at it effort without having a huge impact. Looked rusty as expected.
Aarts - flashy but inconsistent. Needs to work harder when he doesn't have the ball.
Baker - got plenty of it but disposal was average, can't knock his work rate and effort

Thats about all I have - the umpiring in the first half was less than ordinary but we are pretty much used to that by now.

Happy to try to answer any specific questions. Did not see last quarter so don't know final score or who played well etc.etc.

E

easy_tiger

Tiger44 said:
Garthwaite - very reliable - looks capable of slotting in to the seniors should there be a need.

Thats good to hear

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Tiger44 said:
Saw the first 3 quarters tonight. We led by 30 odd points at 3/4/time. A few thoughts

B Ellis - started forward (dont know why as he would never play there in seniors) did a few nice things but nowhere near enough. Still does his 40 metre up and under kicks which both lack penetration and speed. Did use the ball quickly - often before any teammate was ready but would want to see a lot more before getting a promotion. Nowhere near enough gut running which is his speciality.

I Soldo - did well in the ruck but did not have enough positive impact around the ground. Did kick a nice goal but generally the rest of his good work was purely ruck work. If he wants to play seniors needs to develop more strings to his bow. Adequate replacement if Nank goes down but limited and still learning. (Could type the same for CCJ)

New kids, Ross, RCD, Turner, English all did some nice things and showed that all have a future with the right development. Probably Ross was best of them, like his work around the ball and no fuss approach. Reckon he would be the first to have a taste shoudl the opportunity arise.

Shai - did some magical stuff as he always does, just not enough. Pleasing to see him working hard though.
Pat Naish - took some telling pressure marks and geenrally solid and improved on this time last year by a fair margin.
Oleg - solid run off half back - used the ball well reliable.
Mabor - just doesnt do enough. Some promising glimpses then gets out postioned easily. Very athletic and worth perservering with. I woudl give him a go in the ruck but with Soldo & CCJ there are few opportunities.
Sydney Stack - both him and Eggmoleese Smith played off half back and both are similar types so coudl be confusing the two but both gave good run and carry and generally used the ball well. PRomising early stages.
Callum Moore - plays from behind too much and isnt imposing. Is much better running at the ball. Did ok but expected more.
Menadue - good run and carry and used the ball well, just didnt get into damaging positions so his disposals didn't add much value but was ok.
Castagna - played first half - looked rusty but did ok - not ready to play seniors just yet.
Townsend - played first half - usual honest hard at it effort without having a huge impact. Looked rusty as expected.
Aarts - flashy but inconsistent. Needs to work harder when he doesn't have the ball.
Baker - got plenty of it but disposal was average, can't knock his work rate and effort

Thats about all I have - the umpiring in the first half was less than ordinary but we are pretty much used to that by now.

Happy to try to answer any specific questions. Did not see last quarter so don't know final score or who played well etc.etc.

Thanks very much for the update.

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Not sure Moore has the tank to play further up the ground or the defensive smarts. Is OK if ball is nearby but not sure how he would go with 2 way running.

Just re read my summary of the 3 quarters I saw and realised I glossed over the new kids a little.

J Ross - excellent size and really nice mover, did not look out of place in his first game at this level (albeit a practice match). Is the sort of player that would transition to seniors very easily (imo). Like him a lot.
RCD - great build and displayed a good work ethic. Nice mover and reckon has potential to be a Cripps type player as he has that size in his favour. Not far behind Ross (imo)
Fraser Turner - nice size and did some nice things, may take a bit longer than Ross and RCD but showed more than enough.
Luke English - nuggety type who wore helmet but worked extremely hard, a little untidy with disposal but was having no problem getting it (see Liam Baker).

T44

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
Last Quarter
Moore kicked 2 or 3 in last quarter.
Chol nice mark and kick.
Shai looked pretty good, almost too fast in his gives to others.
Generally they played well, played like the seniors.
Blues ran out of legs in final quarter.

ryan

Tiger Rookie
Jul 30, 2005
Ross was clearly the best.

Gets hard ball and hard at it - has average pace and looks like he is a reasonable kick

RCD also got better as the game went on.

Garthwaite, George , Townsend played between 2 -3 quarters each.

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Tiger44 said:
Not sure Moore has the tank to play further up the ground or the defensive smarts. Is OK if ball is nearby but not sure how he would go with 2 way running.

Just re read my summary of the 3 quarters I saw and realised I glossed over the new kids a little.

J Ross - excellent size and really nice mover, did not look out of place in his first game at this level (albeit a practice match). Is the sort of player that would transition to seniors very easily (imo). Like him a lot.
RCD - great build and displayed a good work ethic. Nice mover and reckon has potential to be a Cripps type player as he has that size in his favour. Not far behind Ross (imo)
Fraser Turner - nice size and did some nice things, may take a bit longer than Ross and RCD but showed more than enough.
Luke English - nuggety type who wore helmet but worked extremely hard, a little untidy with disposal but was having no problem getting it (see Liam Baker).

T44

Will add that Cartoon do no thave much depth or a lot of injuries to senior type players as there was little to get excited about from their side. A few smallish mids did ok (no 4 was prob best of theirs) but explains why Fasolo went straight in as there is not much there.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
ryan said:
No - Miller did not play

Thanks Ryan.
With Miller injured and Marsh at StKilda and the likelihood of Garthwaite replacing Rance when he's ready, Richmond's VFL defence is going to be stretched a tad.

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Impressive 1st half from Richmond VFL albeit not sure who’s playing for Collingwood.

Lots of standouts here - Bolton has massively improved & Ross looks the goods already. Reminds me of Mark Coughlan but quicker.