VFL Signings for 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VFL Signings for 2019

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
First new addition for 2019 is Noble Park mid/fwd Luke Nelson, runner up in their BnF & coached in part by Adam Treloar

https://twitter.com/PaulAmy375/status/1053166184437178368

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Going to be a very interesting year at VFL level, we potentially have lost our 3 best players in Miles, Ellis and Towner, then we have the excitement of last years draftees in Balta, CCJ, Miller, Baker an Naish , will a player like Bolton spend the year in the AFL or will be up and down. Last year I thought it was as exciting a year for KPP as I’ve ever seen in the magoos, hopefully this year they progress and we see the emergence of some more midfielders

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Mr Brightside said:
Going to be a very interesting year at VFL level, we potentially have lost our 3 best players in Miles, Ellis and Towner, then we have the excitement of last years draftees in Balta, CCJ, Miller, Baker an Naish , will a player like Bolton spend the year in the AFL or will be up and down. Last year I thought it was as exciting a year for KPP as I’ve ever seen in the magoos, hopefully this year they progress and we see the emergence of some more midfielders
Best four if you include LLLLLyod

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
The exact point is that they would be the best 4 VFL players. Not AFL - potentially. I would hope we are not in the business of trying to win VFL premierships but developing all our list so that it enhances our opportunity to win AFL premierships. With Lloyd, Towner, Miles and C Ellis we had four very good midfielders who would have impeded the next phase/tranche of midfielders.

Yes they are all good citizens of our football club but I think we have done the right thing by cleaning them out as from what I have seen none of them are going to develop into a permanent fixture in our AFL team. More mid field time for Baker, Naish, Balta, and new draftees whoever they may be.

Good long term strategy and sure we may not win a VFL premiership next year - I can live with that.

My ten cents.

T44

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I would rather have our VFL team finish 7th/8th whilst developing young mids than win the VFL flag with players like Lloyd/Miles/Ellis/Townsend who are not going to be any better at AFL level than what they have shown so far.

Its about winning AFL flags

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
turk-d-tiger said:
I would rather have our VFL team finish 7th/8th whilst developing young mids than win the VFL flag with players like Lloyd/Miles/Ellis/Townsend who are not going to be any better at AFL level than what they have shown so far.

Its about winning AFL flags
Agree with the comments, finishing 7/8 is fine, but as we have seen when the VFL gets pantsed every week it does make it more difficult to develop the kids, particularly the talls if there is no supply.

I think the right answer is somewhere in between having the sufficient depth for the AFL team while not having VFL-legends clogging up the list.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
TigerFlag2017 said:
Agree with the comments, finishing 7/8 is fine, but as we have seen when the VFL gets pantsed every week it does make it more difficult to develop the kids, particularly the talls if there is no supply.

I think the right answer is somewhere in between having the sufficient depth for the AFL team while not having VFL-legends clogging up the list.

Thats where getting quality VFL players come into things

Williamstown did extremely well with no AFL listed players and there are so many delisted AFL players that would get games and would be loving the chance to fit into Richmonds VFL system

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
TigerFlag2017 said:

It is in between. One of the keys over the last 2 years is that the guys at AFL level have known that if they play poorly they play vfl because there are others playing consistently good footy at the next level.

What i liked was there was a number of guys playing better at the end of the season like Balta, Naish and CCJ. All 3 developed nicely imo.

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
craig said:
Has Wood stayed on he was handy also.

Article didn't mention Woody specifically but said 15 had signed on from last season

Morris, Beasley, Ballard, Aarts, Thompson, Silver, Nick Baltas Joel Cusack & Bailey Lambert were the 9 they confirmed

E

easy_tiger

How much would a good VFL bloke get paid?

Steve Morris say?

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
easy said:
How much would a good VFL bloke get paid?

Steve Morris say?

dunno about Morro but I know for a fact Nick Mellington was on $300 a game with us , got slightly more @ Coburg but had to find his own sponsor !

E

easy_tiger

spook said:
That's two different questions.

;D

I meant a professional type bloke, like El Capitan, who is no chance of playing AFL

taztiger4 said:
dunno about Morro but I know for a fact Nick Mellington was on $300 a game with us , got slightly more @ Coburg but had to find his own sponsor !

jeez, thought it would be more.

I know pretty raw, ordinary (big) footballers who get that in the bush

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
easy said:
;D

I meant a professional type bloke, like El Capitan, who is no chance of playing AFL

jeez, thought it would be more.

I know pretty raw, ordinary (big) footballers who get that in the bush

absolutely, thats why Xavier Richards is playing suburban & not VFL