VFL Practice Games | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

VFL Practice Games

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
SkillzThatKillz said:
Apparently not but only because it is a VFL pre season game

Why are they still pre season games? This should be season proper stuff now that the AFL has started.

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Tigers2011 said:
Impressive 1st half from Richmond VFL albeit not sure who’s playing for Collingwood.

Lots of standouts here - Bolton has massively improved & Ross looks the goods already. Reminds me of Mark Coughlan but quicker.

Yes!! That’s the one - Mark coughlan. Couldn’t remember who he reminded me of but that’s the one. I like him. Very very clean with the ball and hard as anything. Big boy.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Is Ross a man-child? And so will this be found out when competing against the best.
Does he have the speed for AFL?

It sounds negative, but i am trying to get a picture of how good he could be.
There is a lot of excitement now for him.

ryan

Tiger Rookie
Jul 30, 2005
Balta played back the whole game and did well.

Bolton was best followed by Ross.

Bolton played on ball and half forward.

Aarts kicked 4 and played very well.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
tigerdell said:
Is Ross a man-child? And so will this be found out when competing against the best.

Has always been a big kid but in TAC and APS he was not a Petracca type man child. Jack isn’t the quickest but not a plodder. It is more his endurance that needs to get up to elite level, but he is super diligent so it will happen.

linuscambridge

Tiger Superstar
Jul 13, 2004
ryan said:

Good news on both. I know Dimma loves a dour defender who runs all day, and that includes his defensive forwards, but I think we need some class all over the field.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
ryan said:

Balta is a modern day backman without doubt, took a beauty right in front of us.

I’d have Aarts in in front of a couple of Premiership small forwards.

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
Bring Bolton & Bolta in. At least Bolton can do something more up the ground than others in the same position.

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004
Mr Brightside said:
Balta is a modern day Hackman without doubt, took a beauty right in front of us.

I’d have Aarts in in front of a couple of Premiership small forwards.
that's why they got him to keep guys like butler and Castagna honest. Id have him over Castagna

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Baker and Bolton have been very good. Aarts is strong and tough and did well yesterday. Ross looking good. RCD possibly managed: didn't seem to get near it much. Moore busy but getting too far out and wide to really maximise his scoring chances.

Chol always fourth in line at marking contests: can't make it as a forward. Took a good mark at full back and rucked late.

We dominated, so Balta and Garth had very little to do. Garth was hurt in a marking contest and didn't seem much of the second half.

CuJo continues to do good things but he'll have to wait until next year I expect. Soldo didn't seem to do so much.

Baker comes in for Butler and Bolton or even Aarts for Weller. Moore for Jack though CuJo/Balta could solve that second ruck issue and still be dangerous forward.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
VFL Tigers primed for Round 1
Brenton Mann, richmondfc.com.au
Mar 28, 2019 7:27PM

Richmond VFL ended its pre-season campaign with a commanding 54-point win over Collingwood on Thursday afternoon.

The Tigers were fierce, ferocious, and continually pressured the Magpies into submission, sealing a comfortable 15.9 (99) to 6.9 (45) win.

In the wake of Alex Rance’s knee injury, all eyes were fixed on two men - Noah Balta and Ryan Garthwaite; each having been ear-marked as the possible heir apparent to fill the void left by the Herculean Rance.

They both showed they’d be up to the task if a senior recall arises in the coming weeks.

Balta looked at home patrolling the defensive half, consistently trusting his speed and athleticism to intercept and disrupt Collingwood’s forays forward.

He also has enormous faith in his skill by foot, picking out targets at will, either on his left or right side.

Balta physically shares a striking resemblance to Rance and plays the game with intoxicating vigour and effort, much like the five-time All Australian.

Garthwaite is cut from a different cloth, the iron-fisted defender from Corowa hard-nosed, diligent and assumes the role of backline general.

He is constantly barking orders, positioning his teammates like chess pieces, which keeps the Tigers’ watertight team defence intact.

The game started with both sides working through a feeling-out process, with the game played between the arcs, which brought Balta and Garthwaite into the game.

It took until halfway through the first quarter for Callum Coleman-Jones to break the goalless drought.

The budding Tiger ruckman belied his hulking 200cm frame by extracting the ball from congestion, pivoting on his left and snapping on his right, much to the delight of his teammates.

Callum Moore is another Tiger tall who is pressing his claim for senior selection and started the game superbly.

Moore is a tricky match-up, possessing elite speedy, strong hands and a springy leap.

He started as the deepest forward and took three marks inside 50 in the opening 10 minutes and had a hand in the Tigers’ second goal.

Moore lead swiftly, marked strongly and immediately turned to the corridor to find Jacob Ballard unmarked.

Ballard converted his set-shot and the Tigers were kicked into gear.

Jake Aarts was next to trouble the scores, after his halting tackle inside forward 50 stopped a Magpies’ defender is his tracks, and Aarts was duly rewarded with a free-kick.

He also converted his set-shot, the nuggety forward’s first of a game-high four-goal haul, which will do his AFL aspirations no harm.

The Tigers cranked up the heat in the second term and cashed in up forward, slamming on three goals in a hurry.

Shai Bolton drew a high tackle in a forward-50 stoppage and slotted his first for the match, while Moore chimed in and Aarts kicked his second.

Collingwood was held goalless until 15:28 had gone in the second quarter, but its first major sprung the Magpies into action.

They kicked goals in quick succession and narrowed the gap to 19 points.

The visitors had a sniff.

That was quashed however when Charlie Thompson, Luke English and Tom Silvestro combined for a steadying major.

The Tigers ended the quarter with a four-goal run, with Aarts adding his third and Coleman-Jones his second.

Richmond’s ability to withstand the surge from Collingwood and then counter-punch with ferocity would have pleased the coaching staff and the Tiger faithful in attendance.

Jacob Townsend also put his name up for an AFL recall with a trademark bullocking midfield performance which highlighted his versatility and growth as a player.

Townsend’s ability to remain strong in the contest, and cool under pressure shone brightly, as did his ability to mark overhead.

Jack Ross was another who picked-up where he left off last week, as the bustling on-baller produced another solid four-quarter midfield performance.

Ross is a penetrating player, with deceptive depth to his disposal and willingness to push himself to near exhaustion for the team.

The Tigers opened up a 44-point lead at half-time and controlled the majority of the game thereafter.

Scoring dried-up somewhat after half-time, with both sides committing turnovers, which took the flow out of the game.

Collingwood won the third term, with three goals to one, but was held goalless in the final quarter.

Bolton however was one who shone as the game slowed up, with the newly deployed midfielder looking dangerous and lively at stoppages and hitting the scoreboard.

Bolton finished the game with two goals and is an exciting prospect as a midfielder.

Liam Baker, Thompson, Aarts and Bolton inflicted some late scoreboard pain, as the Tigers finished the game strongly.

TIGERS 3.2 10.5 11.7 15.9 (99)
MAGPIES 0.1 3.3 6.6 6.9 (45)

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-03-28/vfl-tigers-primed-for-round-1

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
tigerdell said:

He's looked pretty damn good to me so far in his couple of AFL hitouts pre-season.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Baker and Bolton have been very good. Aarts is strong and tough and did well yesterday. Ross looking good. RCD possibly managed: didn't seem to get near it much. Moore busy but getting too far out and wide to really maximise his scoring chances.

Chol always fourth in line at marking contests: can't make it as a forward. Took a good mark at full back and rucked late.

We dominated, so Balta and Garth had very little to do. Garth was hurt in a marking contest and didn't seem much of the second quarter.

CuJo continues to do good things but he'll have to wait until next year I expect. Soldo didn't seem to do so much.

Baker comes in for Butler and Bolton or even Aarts for Weller. Moore for Jack though CuJo/Balta could solve that second ruck issue and still be dangerous forward.

Thanks TBH, good to hear about Bolton, i like Baker, he gets to the right spots. Time to start rewarding good VFL form.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Ghost of 29 said:
Has always been a big kid but in TAC and APS he was not a Petracca type man child. Jack isn’t the quickest but not a plodder. It is more his endurance that needs to get up to elite level, but he is super diligent so it will happen.
Thanks! Exciting

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Ghost of 29 said:

Cuz like?