Vic State Election 22 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Vic State Election 22

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

See Section 52 (ix) of the Australian Constitution, oh, and the article you linked to.

As The General pointed out, this is a Commonwealth power, they just refused to take responsibility.

Were the states silly to take it on without any expertise or experience, hell yeah, but that doesn't absolve the Feds from their responsibility for quarantine. In any case, I'm not sure the states had much choice, if the Feds were unwilling to take on their responsibilities then the states had to step in to the breach.

You are still avoiding the question, how many people are you willing to sacrifice to avoid lockdowns, what if one of those people was your child or you?

DS

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Just about every election the last two years (domestic or foreign) has shown pre polling data to be wrong.

Big day tomorrow, anything could happen.

Reactions: 1 user

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Just about every election the last two years (domestic or foreign) has shown pre polling data to be wrong.

Big day tomorrow, anything could happen.
I expect the ALP to win. But my fingers are crossed for Ian Cook tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
So your claim he is under 6, no 4, investigations is as accurate as your claim he is a criminal, or perhaps as accurate as Murdoch news reports.
I expect more investigations to come out next week ,after all the disgruntled Labor Mps who lose their seats turn on Andrews

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
See Section 52 (ix) of the Australian Constitution, oh, and the article you linked to.

As The General pointed out, this is a Commonwealth power, they just refused to take responsibility.

Were the states silly to take it on without any expertise or experience, hell yeah, but that doesn't absolve the Feds from their responsibility for quarantine. In any case, I'm not sure the states had much choice, if the Feds were unwilling to take on their responsibilities then the states had to step in to the breach.

You are still avoiding the question, how many people are you willing to sacrifice to avoid lockdowns, what if one of those people was your child or you?

DS
We had a lock down with 300 active cases or close to it,we have thousands of active cases today ,and people are in hospital,and some dying .
So explain the logic to me about lock downs from last year to now.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I expect the ALP to win. But my fingers are crossed for Ian Cook tomorrow.
I tell you what no matter what Labor people say ,Cook has a lot of support ,and a huge amount sympathise with Cook after what Sutton and his cronies did to his business.

Last edited:

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
We had a lock down with 300 active cases or close to it,we have thousands of active cases today ,and people are in hospital,and some dying .
After three years, I am so sick of explaining what a vaccine is.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

The big difference is the level of vaccination in society and hence the ability of the hospital system to cope and overall level of death.

Will be pretty interesting how this vote goes.

There is the lived experience of life in lockdown for victorians. That is real.

There is the unlived experience of many more people dying with lockdowns released early. This is hypothetical - but you can look to other countries to see what happened.

I do think many people struggle to do this so it becomes more emotional.

We didn’t get to do A-B testing here.

Pretty similar to painful action to slow climate change. You only get the potential what would have happened.

Makes it very easy to argue for the alternate as you are debating potentials vs actuals.

Personally I thought overall a good job was done with some glaringly bad bits with the early hotel quarantining. I lean to much more of a utilitarian approach to decisions vs an individual one. (Although I would struggle with the do you kill someone you love to save ten million you don’t know - so luckily that’s a hypothetical).

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Brawl in a Bummerland booth. A lot of angry Anti-Dan's out there.

• Wow

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Went to vote this arvo, had to move polling booths because of the queue, managed to find a quieter booth.

I have to say that the ballot paper for the upper house with multiple columns and rows is a design mess. Very confusing, could have been done a lot better. I wrote a comment on the ballot about this, FFS design the ballot paper better.

We'll see what happens. I reckon a fair number of the ALP members who won last time in seats they really didn't think they would win, will bow out without much comment. I don't think any ALP candidate seriously thought they would be the member for Hawthorn in the first place.

If the ALP don't lose seats after the ridiculous thumping they gave the Tories last time then the Libs are in very deep sh!t. You don't win a huge majority and expect to keep it the following election. Given the situation over the last couple of years it would be beyond a miracle if the incumbent government doesn't lose seats.

The more interesting aspect will be the proportion of first preference votes in the legislative assembly which go to the ALP, LIbs and Nats. Last time this was 79%: 42.9% ALP, 30.4% Lib and 4.8% Nat. The Greens got 10.7%. Just as an aside, with half the votes of the Greens, the Nats got twice as many seats last time - 6 to 3.

Expecting a majority ALP government with a reduced majority. They will lose some to the Greens and the Libs will pick up a few seats. I also reckon the primary vote for the majors will drop again, more in line with the Federal results where the total of ALP/Lib/Nat was below 70%.

DS

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Went to vote this arvo, had to move polling booths because of the queue, managed to find a quieter booth.

I have to say that the ballot paper for the upper house with multiple columns and rows is a design mess. Very confusing, could have been done a lot better. I wrote a comment on the ballot about this, FFS design the ballot paper better.
Really? You put a "1" in a box above the line or minimum "1-5" in boxes below the line. Can't see it being much simpler than that.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Really? You put a "1" in a box above the line or minimum "1-5" in boxes below the line. Can't see it being much simpler than that.

Agree, it is simple, but that doesn't change the fact that the layout is atrocious. I used to do graphic design and that was a dog's brekkie.

DS

• Haha

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Would be handy if the tv coverages told who the sitting member or party is on the graphics.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
What a disgrace Sky are for having that despot loser Tim Smith on their coverage.

He just called the greens anti semetic, vermin, grubs, a blight. The guy’s eyes roll around in his head as he tries to piece together one puffy, big mouth, stupid comment after another.

Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
What a disgrace Sky are for having that despot loser Tim Smith on their coverage.

He just called the greens anti semetic, vermin, grubs, a blight. The guy’s eyes roll around in his head as he tries to piece together one puffy, big mouth, stupid comment after another.

He's a *smile*'s *smile*.

Reactions: 1 users