Water threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Water threads [Merged]

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
I'm with you brother.

Expecting a man to sip beers in less than armpit-deep water is just un Australian.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
TIGEREXTRA said:
....Was about to set it up and then thought I better check the local council website becasue it is going to tale a bit of water.

I was shocked to read that you need a permit and also pool fencing for any pool or spa with a water depth of 30cm or more.

What the?

30 cm!!!

This is crap! Now I am to worried to set up incase a neighbour dobs me in.

Several years ago I was riding my horse and saw a largish in diameter, but not height, swimming pool near the back door of a house in town. I came home and said that it looked like an accident waiting to happen. Not long after I got one of those late night calls that you dread. A friend's toddler had slipped away unnoticed and he was found minutes later drowned in the pool even though it hardly had any water in it. It was the most horrible experience and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I know the council regulations seem a pain but please make sure either the pool is access proof for little kids or empty it out when it's not being used. Tragedy can happen in seconds.

On the subject of pools we've got an 11x6x2 metre sludge pit in the ground here. All this hot weather and we haven't had the water to fill and maintain it for the last couple of years. Think we'll have to get a new water tank just for the pool and hope we get some rain for it to fill. Otherwise we might as well just fill the pool in. That would be very sad but it's depressing to see the eyesore it is at the moment.

Thankfully we got rain at the right time, just as we were about to buy water, and our tank is holding out ok and there is water in the dams. The springs in the creek which have never dried up on our property in living memory are looking very sorry. We don't use the water to protect them but further down stream people drain the creek dry every year. Also more and more bores going in unfortunately seems to be taking a toll on the springs. That's a price that's paid for the recent influx of orchards and vineyards in an area that doesn't have the rainfall required to run them.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Rudd should have put the $10b handout into setting up long-term sustainable water infrastructure such as the Ord river scheme.
The money is put to good use and building something sorely needed, instead of "pokie money" and plasma tvs. Gone in a blink.

10 bloody billion $$$ wasted!! What a bunch of dills.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
willo said:
Rudd should have put the $10b handout into setting up long-term sustainable water infrastructure such as the Ord river scheme.
The money is put to good use and building something sorely needed, instead of "pokie money" and plasma tvs. Gone in a blink.

10 bloody billion $$$ wasted!! What a bunch of dills.

Actually the infrastructure debate is a good one. Too often people say "put it in infrastructure", but its been shown most of that money goes in materials and land, so its not always the best way to stimulate growth in the economy. Even ones that are beneficial to economic growth (like the Snowy) are beneficial in the long term only, not the short/mid term boost often needed.

That being said, for the Ord I thought the WA Govt were doing some channel or pipeline from the Ord down to Perth (I remember reading an announcement a couple of years ago). Outside the WA side of things now, but has that been derailed?

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
As long as ordinary householders are doing their part, everything is ok ::)

Is there a problem using recycled water for this?

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25004641-2862,00.html

Royal Melbourne Golf Club given exemption to water restrictions
Megan McNaught

February 04, 2009 12:00am
MILLIONS of litres of drinking water will flow on to an exclusive golf course to prepare it for a competition almost three years away.

The Royal Melbourne Golf Club in Black Rock has an exemption to use an extra 70 megalitres before the President's Cup in November 2011.

As Melburnians struggle to cope with stage 3a water restrictions, the club is directing the equivalent of the annual use of 466 households on to its greens and fairways.

The exemption began on January 16 and will not be reassessed until December 31, allowing club members to benefit in the meantime.

RMGC chief executive Paul Rak said the extra water was needed to ensure the course was a high enough standard for such a prestige international event.

He said the club had spent $2.4 million reducing its usage from 106 to 30 megalitres in the past four years but the savings had come at a cost.

"The standard of the course has gone backwards in the last couple of years, and now we need some help," Mr Rak said.

But Australian Water Association president Tom Mollenkopf said it was a bitter pill to swallow for those who were doing it tough sticking to tight restrictions.

"If it was going to the local bowls club or to other ordinary citizens, then I guess I could be more sympathetic," Mr Mollenkopf said.

"The decision as to whether this is a worthy use of water probably depends on whether you are a golf lover or not."

South East Water spokesman Murray Goddard said the club had to meet assessment requirements before the exemption was approved.

"We look at water saving measures they have done as well as their total water usage, and they have made significant measures to save water," Mr Goddard said.

"There are provisions in the drought response plan to ensure we can support events that will put Melbourne into the national or international spotlight."

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Tiger74 said:
Actually the infrastructure debate is a good one. Too often people say "put it in infrastructure", but its been shown most of that money goes in materials and land, so its not always the best way to stimulate growth in the economy. Even ones that are beneficial to economic growth (like the Snowy) are beneficial in the long term only, not the short/mid term boost often needed.

That being said, for the Ord I thought the WA Govt were doing some channel or pipeline from the Ord down to Perth (I remember reading an announcement a couple of years ago). Outside the WA side of things now, but has that been derailed?

It depends on why the infrastructure is being proposed.

Infrastructure such as the Ord and the sometimes quietly mentioned pipeline from northern Australia to NSW or Victoria is very likely to be required sometime in the future. Putting them off because short to medium term benefits are relatively poor is a false economy. Putting these schemes off is likely to cost us in the future when it comes down to the crunch.

If everything was subjected to short and medium term forecasts, nothing would get done. No Snowy mountains scheme, no city loop rail tunnel, no Thompson dam (where would Melbourne be without that?), no West gate bridge, no Sydney Harbour bridge, the list goes on...................feel free to add to the list.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
1eyedtiger said:
It depends on why the infrastructure is being proposed.

Infrastructure such as the Ord and the sometimes quietly mentioned pipeline from northern Australia to NSW or Victoria is very likely to be required sometime in the future. Putting them off because short to medium term benefits are relatively poor is a false economy. Putting these schemes off is likely to cost us in the future when it comes down to the crunch.

If everything was subjected to short and medium term forecasts, nothing would get done. No Snowy mountains scheme, no city loop rail tunnel, no Thompson dam (where would Melbourne be without that?), no West gate bridge, no Sydney Harbour bridge, the list goes on...................feel free to add to the list.

You missed the point completely. Some are saying infrastructure is the silver bullet for IMMEDIATE economic growth. I was simply pointing out that most major infrastructure when studied properly only generates a greater benefit in the long term. This is because most of the benefit goes to land and materials, so you are not getting the economic multiplier you do with other expenses.

If short term growth is not your priority, I agree 100% that the ideas you have proposed are worthy (and several I am a big fan of). If however short term growth is the priority, other options may be better.

Things like the channel deepening may be an example. Only a short time to have commercially active, and able to provide an immediate economic benefit pretty quickly (through allowing larger ships into the port fully laden, thus helping reduce freight rates and make our exports more competitive).