Water threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Water threads [Merged]

Re: Melbourne's Water Update

Seems the tasmanian idea now has some legs.Will the politicians, in the words of Sir humphrey appleby be brave and courageous ,and embrace the idea

barty boy said:
Arent Melbournes catchment areas ,logging free?

You'd think so, but judging by the content of recent local papers and the following website:

http://www.vicrainforest.org/Melbwater.php

I read the link,and this astounds me,for I've always been led to believe that our catchment areas are indeed logging free..............Well you learn something new every day

Thought this was an interesting article.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/07/18/2308190.htm?section=world

If a 700km gas pipeline to Port Moresby can be built, why not a water pipeline from Tasmania to Victoria?

Phantom said:

If a 700km gas pipeline to Port Moresby can be built, why not a water pipeline from Tasmania to Victoria?

That would require cooperation between the states and the political willpower to act in the best interests of the citizens of this great nation. Just like building a new dam.

Of course, those who say new dams aren't the answer might like to have a moment to think about the crap we would be in now if the Thompsom had never been built.

Phantom said:

Probably cos we cant rip off the Tasmanians with pricing for the water unlike the gas pipeline.

craig said:
Probably cos we cant rip off the Tasmanians with pricing for the water unlike the gas pipeline.

That would be a massive part of it.

What price is fair for Victorian consumers that makes it cost effective compared to desal and recycling?

What price should Tasmanian taxpayers be entitled to extract from Victoria, given they are our poorest state and their water is an in demand commodity?

What happens if drought demands mean priorities are protecting Tasmanian water consumers and their valuable hydro power assets? Can Victoria act without supply guanantees under this circumstance?

Extremely worrying.

One month into our 4 month rainy season and we just don't seem to be lifting.

http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/water/weekly_water_update/zoom_graph.asp

We ignore Tasmania's offerings.

We're still only in the planning stages of the recycling centre......

Get off your arse Brumby!  :mad:

Absolutely must have official stage 4 introduced in the next month or so!...Should be a higher restriction come dry season...some people just don't get it!
Luckily the family property appears to have scored just enough to get us through this year...we finally fell within the belt....

Well, here we are nearing the end of September.

Just to maintain ourselves at this last year's levels we needed to be up at 40%.

We didn't even reach 35%, we've now plateaued at 34.4%.

This means that by June 2009 we will be down to around 25%.

It's a disaster.

We're now 2 years down the track from when the State government were announcing big plans for water recycling, new pipelines, etc, and it has all added up to talk only.

This is more than just very disappointing.

C'mon Phantom give them credit...they're addressing the problem by building a billion dollar pipeline to take water that doesn't exist from the Goulburn River. Doesn't matter that they turn the food bowl into a dust bowl as long as a few more dunnies can be flushed in Melbourne.

rosy23 said:
C'mon Phantom give them credit...they're addressing the problem by building a billion dollar pipeline to take water that doesn't exist from the Goulburn River. Doesn't matter that they turn the food bowl into a dust bowl as long as a few more dunnies can be flushed in Melbourne.

Yes, I agree, they seem to talking about the worst alternative. ie Not creating any new usable water.

Tell me when they start working on it, rather than talking about it.

Phantom said:
Yes, I agree, they seem to talking about the worst alternative. ie Not creating any new usable water.

People will kick out any govt that tries to get "poo water" up.

Just look at the storm that occured in Toowoomba. They had 2-3 buckets left in the dam, and the voters STILL voted against it.

This debate drives me batty because everyone knows what method they are against, but few people are actually saying "I want this", unless there is virtually no impact upon them.

Phantom said:

They've commenced work on the "Sugarloaf" N/S pipeline already.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tiger74 said:
People will kick out any govt that tries to get "poo water" up.

Just look at the storm that occured in Toowoomba. They had 2-3 buckets left in the dam, and the voters STILL voted against it.

This debate drives me batty because everyone knows what method they are against, but few people are actually saying "I want this", unless there is virtually no impact upon them.
The most sensible and sustainable ideas are the pipeline from Tasmania and really subsidisng houshold water tanks.

'Poo-water' recycling is also fine as far as I'm concerned.

Labor governments are notorious ditherers abd Brumby seems to be out dithering the lot of 'em.

evo said:
The most sensible and sustainable ideas are the pipeline from Tasmania and really subsidisng houshold water tanks.

I'd agree.

The 'Poo-water' could be quite easily used for industrial purposes.

Phantom said:
I'd agree.

The 'Poo-water' could be quite easily used for industrial purposes.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of the average voter Phantom.

They proposed recycling water at Eastern, pumping it to the power stations, and diverting the drinking water they currently use for city use. Latrobe Valley voters we up in arms because they wanted access to the clean water 100%, AND they wanted to know why they had to accept poo water when Melbourne doesn't. The only serious argument against it I heard is apparently poo water is too clean, and it was going to have to be altered somewhat so as to not damage the equipment at the power plants (don't know the details, just remember hearing R&D was needed).

As for industry, the idiots don't like that too:

1) you want to water my crops with poo water - why don't we just completely contaminate our food (this was a serious argument against it being used on crops - I don't think they have any idea what many fertilizers are made of)

2) you want to use poo water in factories - thin end of the wedge, its a covert means to get public drinking water converted.

I know some of the water recycled at Werribee and Carrum is used locally by industry (and Sandhurst off memory), so it is already being used, just not on a serious scale. I am a big supporter of this, and nearly break my steering wheel when I hear the people advocating bans on it.

I do remember laughing though when someone rang up the radio during the debate on this issue, and asked how the anti-recycling peoples had successfully stopped possums and kangaroos pooing in catchment areas to avoid similar contamination :hihi

evo said:

Labor governments are notorious ditherers abd Brumby seems to be out dithering the lot of 'em.
Well put Evo! Don't forget the great line from Bill Shorten (I think) that went something like... "In the 40's and 50's politicians did things for the benefit of the community, now it seems politicians do things to be seen to be doing things and the bigger the better." Whilst that was far from word-for-word IMO his sentiment is 100% on the money, with very few exceptions.

ok we are now almost half way through spring and things are looking grim for melbourne as far as water supply goes.
when will go to the next level of water restrictions?