Water threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Water threads [Merged]

Re: Melbourne's Water Reserves

When the nation of Israel was first founded, they did amazingly breakthough stuff in desalinisation and drip irrigation - both of which should go arm-in-arm.

They grow food where once nothing grew. The Israelis, along with the Dutch [I think it is], grow and sell worldwide to the florist industry more Australian native plants than what are actually growing in Australia. In fact many of our native flowers used in floral arrangements out here come from places like Israel. Makes you think, doesn't it?

I remember from the time I was growing up, Melbourne water authorities actually fined you for installing a tank - seems they preferred to see it run down the gutters. I also recall making a special trip from Woods Point down to Walhalla because the Vic government announced work commencing on the Thompson dam [which was going to cure Melbourne's water problems for the next 100 years or so] and the road [?] would no longer exist. In fact, I have a pet rock, Fred, in the kitchen which was rescued from the Thompson.

I concede that Melbourne is probably already in a desperate situation re water and the years of drought have not helped. I don't see, though, that it is the Brack's government that is responsible for Melbourne's limited supply of water.

Living in a rural area, I seethe at times when I catch glimpses of the wasteful attitude Melburnians have toward water. It is our most precious commodity, yet Melburnians - and probably most city-dwellers - treat it as an unlimited resource.

Perhaps, a lot of people need to be severely rationed before they fully understand just how dry is this country of ours. Forget about washing the car, forget about hosing down the driveway or the front footpath, forget about the lawns, forget about wasteful long showers.

Considering how long some knowledge has been available to us, I still can't believe how little solar and wind power are utilised, that's without even touching on other things like wave power - all non-polluting methods of producing power.

Population growth, extended period of drought and basic mismanagement/wastage. There is no simple build more dams approach... The biggest gain is personnal discipline, the amount of people hosing driveways and overwatering gardens is staggering.
I am in complete agreement that permanent stage 2 restrictions should be immediatley sanctioned.
The amount of family and friends I have who are paying through the nose trucking in water and feed for their livestock is quite amazing, and then people get on their soapbox about govt assistance because the farmers haven't "planned" better!
Time to come down hard on water wasters at all levels.....especially the old girl in number 14 who has a very clean driveway :-X

eight ace said:
WA doesn't have one but is planning one.

Heard this too eights and aces.
It was estimated to cost a heap to make any desalinated water that was fit to drink
So price made it prohibitive.
Then they couldnt work out what to do with the residual extra salty water.
Their idea was to pump the high salt water back into the ocean.
Someone suggested that this may kill a few things.
Hence, they shelved the idea

I am almost certain the desalination plant is still on foot, Michael. It was being referred to in the media as late as last Friday, and forms a central plank of the Gallop government's water strategy. There certainly have been environmental concerns, but these have been largely ignored by the government in favour of what it sees as the bigger issue. The plant itself is going to be built at Kwinana.

eight ace said:
I am almost certain the desalination plant is still on foot, Michael. It was being referred to in the media as late as last Friday, and forms a central plank of the Gallop government's water strategy. There certainly have been environmental concerns, but these have been largely ignored by the government in favour of what it sees as the bigger issue. The plant itself is going to be built at Kwinana.

Thanks 8Ace
Is this good or bad news?
Any word on what the plan to do with the very saline residue?

Don't know the details, but I could find out if you are interested. I haven't informed myself greatly on the water issue generally. We havehad a number of years of low rainfall here and the dams are at very low levels. Rainfall in June was quite high, but then we had the lowest July rainfall since the 1850s. One proposal was to build a dam in the north-west and pipe the water to Perth, but that was pisscanned.

We have to realise that water is valuable. Have to completely change how we use it, pay for it, store it, everything. De-salination plants is the wrong approach. Very expensive and energy intensive, and instills an apathetic, more of the same, beleif that technology/ government/ business will solve everything.

As others have said, wise-use, tanks, grey water onto the garden, treated sewerage onto farmland, water recycling. Problem is that people are slow or unwilling to change unless they have to. And you'll always get a vocal bunch who don't think they should ever have to change and that more dams or desalination plants will solve it and hang the economic or environmental cost.

Shat me right off watching the news last night. The Queensland government has just brought in new building codes that promote wise water use. All very minimal stuff, tanks, dual flush dunnies etc. Builders are opposed because it "takes away consumer choice". What choice, the choice to waste water and stuff up the environment? Sheeeesh.

eight ace said:
Don't know the details, but I could find out if you are interested. I haven't informed myself greatly on the water issue generally. We havehad a number of years of low rainfall here and the dams are at very low levels. Rainfall in June was quite high, but then we had the lowest July rainfall since the 1850s. One proposal was to build a dam in the north-west and pipe the water to Perth, but that was p!sscanned.

Just googled Kwinana & desalination
Quite a few hits resulted.
$387M to build and $25M a year to run
Produces 45 gigalitres a year

The rains is thumping down outside at the moment so we no longer need water restrictions.Reserves are now full & restrictions not required so everything is okay.Thread finished.

mb64 said:
The rains is thumping down outside at the moment so we no longer need water restrictions.Reserves are now full & restrictions not required so everything is okay.Thread finished.

This post sounds a bit like the Richmond surety of beating Carlton...................... :hihi

TigerForce said:
mb64 said:

This post sounds a bit like the Richmond surety of beating Carlton...................... :hihi
I'II pay that one TF.Very good.

After our massive rainfalls of last week our water reserves have rocketed from 52.1 to a massive 52.4. Obviously building a water reserve is a harder job than building %age in a football match.

Seems Melbourne's Water Reserves are still a subject of concern.

BTW: It should be raining very heavily this afternoon.

More rain today & the reserves are now up to 99.5%.This is a great result for all you water lovers.

Yay we can ski at Bonnie Doon again??

Last time I went past it resembled a desert

Stopped at the pub for a few ales to keep local economy going

Yes, after that large dose of rain our reserves have rocketed up to 52.5%

What this is telling us, and I've worked this out before, is that for each really good day of rain, our reserves go up by 0.1%.

Now if Melbourne is to be safe, it needs to finish at the end of the rainy season, Nov/Dec, with a 60% reserve.

So if each day is worth 0.1%, then we need another 75 days of rain between now and when the dry spell hits.

Considering we have about 120 days till the end of the year, it will need to rain at least 2 of every 3 days until the end of the year.

The good news is that most meteorological events seem to be occurring, this year, a month late, so we may get a wet Christmas, and we may get the necessary rainfall.

The bad news is:
Ah well, there goes the cricket season.

Checked again after some rain & reserves are now up to 99.6%.This is great news Phantom.

Phantom said:
Yes, after that large dose of rain our reserves have rocketed up to 52.5%

What this is telling us, and I've worked this out before, is that for each really good day of rain, our reserves go up by 0.1%.

Now if Melbourne is to be safe, it needs to finish at the end of the rainy season, Nov/Dec, with a 60% reserve.

So if each day is worth 0.1%, then we need another 75 days of rain between now and when the dry spell hits.

Considering we have about 120 days till the end of the year, it will need to rain at least 2 of every 3 days until the end of the year.

The good news is that most meteorological events seem to be occurring, this year, a month late, so we may get a wet Christmas, and we may get the necessary rainfall.

The bad news is:
Ah well, there goes the cricket season.

Great news !!! Our water reserves will be 100 % full..................................................................by 2034 ::)