Water threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Water threads [Merged]

Re: Melbourne's Water Reserves

If we all stop showering now TF, my boy has volunteered to take the lead ;D

He has aquired a fear of showering, oh and cleaning teeth

That should be worth a few thousand megalitres

TC said:
He has aquired a fear of showering, oh and cleaning teeth

That should be worth a few thousand megalitres

Considering our big bodies, I think adults need to shower more than kids do especially when walking into the public. You can't smell BO from kids.

I think this whole matter is a load of garbage and the government is just overstating the actual figure of 52% in the reserves as they are just restricting the public from using it.

Well this winter is turning into a disaster...

Melbournes Water Supply is at 47.1% and actually dropping when it should be going up..

Goulburn murray Water supplies dropped 1% to 36%...
Lake eildon has risen from 22% at the end of the irrigation season to a whopping 23%!!

I know its still possible there could be some good rain over spring to make things a bit better but if it doesn't
happen we would be have to be close to being in as bad shape water supply wise as we ever have been.

Any of the country people here who probably take more notice of water levels etc , how does this compare
to other times in the past???

Those bloody high pressure systems just won't head north....

Yeah...makes me want to head to Tully.....QLD....Why?
Their average rainfall is....4.27 metres per year....
(thats a staggering 160 inches plus of rain in the old speakv per annum!

Now i put it to yas...Melbourne get only 6oo odd millimetres per year.....

If Melbourne got Tully,s rainfall,what would be the drawbacks?

Inner melbourne resembling Vienna?

Permanent wet weather footy?

It would fill the bloody dams thats for sure....... ;D ;D ;D :hihi :hihi :hihi

Ah yes, I remember this thread.

Well, MB, we never quite got up to your 99%.

Here's a link to Melbourne's current reserves.
http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/water/weekly_water_update/weekly_water_update.asp

As you can see, we are trending toward our worst ever water levels.
Yet both sides of the state govt offer nothing.

Wonder what property values will be worth when the city runs out of water?

outcast said:
Any of the country people here who probably take more notice of water levels etc , how does this compare
to other times in the past???

At the moment Eildon Weir is holding 777622Ml compared to 1,118,581Ml last year.

Goulburn irrigator's allocations have been cut to just 7% as well as the season being cut short by 6 weeks. If it doesn't rain (there's bugger all snow to feed the streams this year) it will have a huge impact on the community.

Eppalock is only 4% capacity and I'm not sure if it's actually happening yet or not but water from Eildon is to be pumped to Bendigo for town usage.

This N/E area has been declared a drought area for approx 2 years now. The classification expired a month or so ago but was immediately re-declared.

It's so dry here I can walk in the paddock in socks and not get them wet.

We built a new dam a couple of months ago and it has a bit of a puddle in the bottom. There are pairs of wood ducks and mountain ducks and magpies and galahs around the banks. I'm pretty sure they don't mate in periods of drought so I hope it's nature's way of letting us know there's rain to look forward to. Then again that might be wishful thinking. The ants aren't moving much yet.

That's the key to Melbourne's plight.

Melbourne's reserves usually refill with the thaw of the snows around the Thompson. This season there has been NO snow. There will be NO replenishment, and yet the state govt does NOTHING!

Come the new year, there are going to be alot of Melbournians in a panic.

I suppose we'll just have to get used to the way our country cousins persevere with limited water.

Phantom said:

Melbourne's reserves usually refill with the thaw of the snows around the Thompson. This season there has been NO snow. There will be NO replenishment, and yet the state govt does NOTHING!

I suppose we'll just have to get used to the way our country cousins persevere with limited water.

What do you suggest the guvmint should do?
Not that Mr B will do anything

The thing I don't get is Lake Mokoan is 29% full and they want to drain it. Surely they'll put it off until water isn't so scarce. It's a shallow lake that covers a lot of area, and evaporation would be high, but I'd hope they could build a wall to increase depth while reducing surface area rather than draining it altogether.

Michael said:
Phantom said:

I'd be:
1. going back to the 2003 restrictions now.
2. putting in place plans to desalinating sea water, as they do in the Middle East.
3. planning the infrastructure for using a dual recycled/fresh water system.

Remember, today begins the first day until the future.

Michael said:
Phantom said:

yes he will. Won't he look into it? ;)

Legends of 1980 said:
Michael said:

yes he will. Won't he look into it? ;)

He already has. There is nowhere else where we can build a reservoir, no other river in Victoria we can use to boost Melb's water supply...heard John Thwaites talking about it a couple of weeks ago.
Don't you think it's time we stopped looking to governments to "put things right" and started taking responsiblity for our own wasteful ways?

Anduril said:
He already has. There is nowhere else where we can build a reservoir, no other river in Victoria we can use to boost Melb's water supply...heard John Thwaites talking about it a couple of weeks ago.
Don't you think it's time we stopped looking to governments to "put things right" and started taking responsiblity for our own wasteful ways?

The problem is far deeper than Melbourne's water supply.  Did they mention Lake Mokoan?   Barren Box Swamp in N.S.W. was a similar shallow lake a lot considered an eyesore, same as Mokoan.  It had a levee built on it splitting it into a wetland as well as a more efficient water storage area.  The levee reduced the area of the swamp used to store water by 70%, cutting evaporation loss from 42,400 megalitres to 12,000 megalitres.  That's extra water being handed over to revive the Snowy River's flows.  There is also a resulting 1650 wetlands area that's attracting 1000's of birds.

I don't know if it's practial to do a similar thing to Mokoan but I hope they at least look into it before draining it completely.  I can't see them claiming land to build new weirs so I hope they hang on to what they already have if it can help the situation in any way.

I disagree with your comment about the government Anduril.  We should all be responsible for sure but the situation is a bit dire to think that putting ina  tank and not watering the lawns or hosing paths is a long term solution.

With increasing water requirements and decreasing rainfall we'll be in deep dogpoop if the govt don't look closely into solutions for the future.  We need them to find a solution bigtime.  I'd like to know how much consideration is given to future water supply when issuing planning permits for all the new estates springing up everywhere.

I also think we need the govt to educate people.  There's a lot of ignorance in regard to water.  Those who turn a tap on and out it comes can live in ignorant bliss of how devastating water shortage can be.  They need to be educated about ways they can help, whether through Federal, State, Local Governments or whatever.

Everyone needs to work together and do their bit. 

Planting trees is a simple way to help long term.  Out of interest does anyone here plant trees?  I love planting trees but unfortunately it's too dry here to make it worthwhile at the moment.  Hopefully it will rain soon so we can get a heap in.

Wasn't implying that governments shouldn't be doing anything or that putting in a tank etc is the solution, I just think it shouldn't be left up to govt alone. As for re education, that's been happening for quite some time here in Melbourne, ads on TV and in papers, initiatives in schools etc.etc.

Maybe I took your question "Don't you think it's time we stopped looking to governments to "put things right" and started taking responsiblity for our own wasteful ways?" too literally but I'm certainly saying my prayers that the governments are looking for solutions.

From time to time the prospect of building a pipeline from the area around Lake Argyle, North West Australia is mentioned as an alternative source. Has that been suggested lately? I've never been sure how viable it is vis a vis oil pipelines but there there is plenty of water up there with heavy rainfall.

It may sound bold but hey, when you have no water it may not be bold enough.

I'd be interested in the breakdown of water usage in Melbourne. How much is consumed by domestic use, industrial use etc. The ads in the media are all about saving water in the household, but what about other areas?

I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't watered my garden since March, apart from a couple of new plants. I've never been one for watering a lot anyway, and I've not really lost many plants, though the grass goes brown. Our average rainfall is around 300mm a year, less than the eastern side of Melbourne.

Weekly water update [Merged]

Are Melbournians mistakenly being given the impression that our city is bearing through the water shortage?

Our "Clayton" level 4 restrictions, and being told that we are maintaining ourselves close to 30%, now down to 28.8%, is clearly a misrepresentation.
A closer look at our reserves tells us of a larger danger.

Sorry about the formatting, but:
http://www.melbournewater.com.au/content/water/weekly_water_update/weekly_water_update.asp?bhcp=1
Water storage data
Reservoir Capacity(at Full Supply) Volume ( ML ) % Full
Thomson 1,068,000 185,499 17.4
Upper Yarra 200,000 82,759 41.4
O'Shannassy 3,000 1,758 58.6
Maroondah 22,000 7,636 34.7
Sugarloaf 96,000 21,896 22.8
Yan Yean 30,000 4,746 15.8
Greenvale 27,000 18,950 70.2
Silvan 40,000 34,631 86.6
Cardinia 287,000 152,046 53.0
Total 1,773,000 509,921 28.8

Yes, the Thompson, that supplies the bulk of Melbourne's water is sourced is in fact at 17.4%. When it falls to around 10%, because of health & water quality reasons, it will be shut off. Therefore 100,000 of the 509,000 reserve that we have is, in fact, unusable. That goes for the other reservoirs as well.

The point is that our real reserve is around 300,000 litres, not the listed 500,000, which calculates out to about 16-17%

And we're still on "Clayton" Level 4 restrictions & Bracksy is telling everyone that it's all ok and that he doesn't need to do any deals with the Federal government over the water supply.

Bracksy, you're standing naked, and it's an ugly sight.