Waylen Manson | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Waylen Manson

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
I had the joy of watching the Brendan Fevola show first hand in Darwin yesterday, before heading to a Cold Chisel concert ... what a beaut day!

Anyhoo, I saw a young talent the likes of which I've not witnessed for a long time. I believe Manson is 18/19 and has popped up from nowhere. Waratahs knew very little about him when he arrived so gave him a run in the seconds and he kicked 10 goasl. They promoted him to the seniors and he kicked 8.6 and took 20 marks. Yesterday, Tahs kicked it to Fev at every single chance and Manson had to play mostly CHF. Fev kicked 8 and Manson kicked 10. The kid is raw, skinny and will need some serious gym time ... but he is seriously good!

I was right a few years ago when I was providing some feedback to Greg Miller when he wanted young Kickett and Calma-Holt watched - and I told Greg to forget them and watch a young bloke called Jurrah instead, but Greg ignored me. For mine, Manson is a MUCH better prospect than Jurrah. Get him!!!!

Might be worth a rookie pick.

Wonder if he is on the radar of any other clubs??

SkillzThatKillz said:
Wonder if he is on the radar of any other clubs??
Seeing he has kicked 28 goals in 3 weeks up there you would expect so .

I heard Kevin Sheehan talking about him and he was saying that there would be serious doubts about this kid adapting to a city lifestyle but that someone is going to take the chance .

There's all the risks usually associated with kids from the bush. This lad has been playing out of Kunnunurra. The city would be a big adjustment for him. Drafting him would be a major project to take on, but the upside could be enormous. He kicked a goal yesterday where he was caught 2-on-1 in a marking contest so he just tapped it away instead of trying to mark it, beat his two opponents to the footy on the deck then casually took a bounce before slotting it on the left from 45. It was kind of breath-taking.

Will be drafted in the ND. We need to get to him before others if we are fair diunkum.

Sintiger said:
Seeing he has kicked 28 goals in 3 weeks up there you would expect so .

I heard Kevin Sheehan talking about him and he was saying that there would be serious doubts about this kid adapting to a city lifestyle but that someone is going to take the chance .
There's half the problem with taking in indigenous kids from out the back of nowhere. He'd need some serious support from a bunch of " cousins ".
We currently have no in team indigenous support network if we bring in a bushie.
His best chance of slotting into a Victorian club would be somewhere like the Dees. They've got Ozzie W, Liam J and Aaron D already at the club who would be considered elders for any new kid a long way from home.

Did he actually chase anyone yesterday? Or handball the ball? A lot of games he comes away with 15 touches all kicks. Has shots for goal everytime and burns his teammates. If he's no chance to kick a goal he doesn't bother getting involved in the play. He's a special talent but can't see him getting a game for us based on the reason's Morton couldn't get a game either.

Sintiger said:

Not really our area of expertise. Best to stay away.

At 55, he is worth a punt if still there.

I would not roll the dice with him at 15 or 26.

A top 6 side can afford to take him with their first round pick in this draft but we need to take every pick we have and stockpile players.

And Darwin footy, is really just summer local footy.

tigs2010 said:
A lot of games he comes away with 15 touches all kicks. Has shots for goal everytime and burns his teammates.

Just finished watching the 8 goal performance against the Tiwi Bombers and there were definitely a few examples of a player who isn't adhering to team structures and disciplines. In saying that, he's got a good leap and sticky fingers and a 195cm has the potential to be a difficult match-up. There were also occasions where he sprayed the ball when shooting for goal so from a technical perspective I would say his kicking needs attention. Looking a his physique, any club who picks him up will need to send him straight to the weightroom, his legs are pencil thin and will require some serious strength and conditioning work. Worth a punt but definitely not at pick 26.

bullus_hit said:
Just finished watching the 8 goal performance against the Tiwi Bombers and there were definitely a few examples of a player who isn't adhering to team structures and disciplines. In saying that, he's got a good leap and sticky fingers and a 195cm has the potential to be a difficult match-up. There were also occasions where he sprayed the ball when shooting for goal so from a technical perspective I would say his kicking needs attention. Looking a his physique, any club who picks him up will need to send him straight to the weightroom, his legs are pencil thin and will require some serious strength and conditioning work. Worth a punt but definitely not at pick 26.

Yep. His team game is non-existant. The things he does are good but he's not worth the risk of a first rounder. The 3rd quarter where he had a few options and he was well outside 50 and decided to have a ping. He just stand 15m out from goal and hopes to get a few cheapies. If he chased and harrassed he'd kick 10 most weeks.

bullus_hit said:
Looking a his physique, any club who picks him up will need to send him straight to the weightroom, his legs are pencil thin and will require some serious strength and conditioning work.

If Sheahan reckons he will struggle to adapt to city life then maybe he will also struggle with the weight room grind too as you need to be really motivated to do that.

Don't know anything about the personality/character of the boy. My observations are my only evidence.

Fwiw, I think he'd be too big a risk at pick 26 as well. I think a late pick would be a good investment and I think that he'd be more worthy of a spot on the list than a couple that we are perhaps intending to keep. Just hoping that we get to him before another club - he could be an exciting prospect.

hopper said:
Don't know anything about the personality/character of the boy. My observations are my only evidence.

Fwiw, I think he'd be too big a risk at pick 26 as well. I think a late pick would be a good investment and I think that he'd be more worthy of a spot on the list than a couple that we are perhaps intending to keep. Just hoping that we get to him before another club - he could be an exciting prospect.

No relation to Charles? ;D

How were the Chisels? Did Jimmy produce more scream than that 'jerk' BreadLoaf?