US AFL Combine | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

US AFL Combine

uhuh uhuh

Ruthless and Relentless
Mar 24, 2006
Melbourne
Not sure if I am allowed to post these numbers but:

TOP NUMBERS AT USA COMBINE

Height
Mason Cox Oklahoma State University 211.4cm
Joshkerma Nicholas Alcorn State 207.6
Naofall Folahan Wagner College 205.7
Oscar Evans Northwestern State University 203.2
Josh Warren Troy University, Alabama 202.5

Absolute vertical jump
Justin Wesley University of Kansas 359cm
Joshkerma Nicholas Alcorn State 349
Naofall Folahan Wagner College 349
Mason Cox Oklahoma State University 348
Alex Osborne Loyola Marymount 344
Marvin Baynham Georgia Southern 344

20-metre sprint
Justin Wesley University of Kansas 2.81sec
Marvin Baynham Georgia Southern 2.82
Orlando Parker Wagner College 2.95
Jay Smith Ohio University 2.96
Lucas Reed University of New Mexico 2.99
Mason Cox Oklahoma State University 3.00

Agility
Marvin Baynham Georgia Southern 8.14sec
Westley Hinton Troy University, Alabama 8.18
Drew Barham Gonzaga University 8.29
Justin Wesley University of Kansas 8.33
Lucas Reed University of New Mexico 8.37

Repeat sprint
Jay Smith Ohio University 25.72sec
Lucas Reed University of New Mexico 27.26
Naofall Folahan Wagner College 27.35
Alex Osborne Loyola Marymount 27.4
Drew Barham Gongaza University 27.41
Mason Cox Oklahoma State University 27.41

Three-kilometre time trial
Drew Barham Gongaza University 10:55min
Josh Warren Troy University, Alabama 11:07
Alexander Aurrichio Columbia University 11:22
Lucas Reed University of New Mexico 11:38
Jay Smith Ohio University 11:51
Mason Cox Oklahoma State University 11:59

Mason Cox; 211cm, 348cm vertical jump, 20m in 3 seconds and 11.59 3 km time trial. I wonder how current AFL rucks compare?

It definitely has merit for unearthing a ruckman. They only need to be able to mark and handball.

evo said:
It definitely has merit for unearthing a ruckman. They only need to be able to mark and handball.
Apparently not.....

I've seen this on ESPN (mostly Afro-Americans) and giggled, coz I'm not sure how (or why) the Yanks would want to get into AFL to be honest.

Still, it would be great to see them give it a go.

tigertim said:
Apparently not.....

I bet some of these prospects could mark better than Hampster, innit.

it wouldnt be a bad idea to target tall college wide receivers who were interested in AFL. They have great hands.

TigerForce said:
I've seen this on ESPN (mostly Afro-Americans) and giggled, coz I'm not sure how (or why) the Yanks would want to get into AFL to be honest.

Still, it would be great to see them give it a go.

Its an opportunity for guys who didnt quite make the NFL/NBA to still become proffessional sportsmen. I can definitely see why they d be interested.

evo said:
it wouldnt be a bad idea to target tall college wide receivers who were interested in AFL. They have great hands.

But, can they bounce the ball? ;D

evo said:
Its an opportunity for guys who didnt quite make the NFL/NBA to still become proffessional sportsmen. I can definitely see why they d be interested.

There are lower leagues, and besides the immigration red tape, there wouldn't be much money with us compared to what the Yanks get. I think Arena Football League still pays well.

We've only got 18 teams in 1 division....and no time outs clevo. ;D

There was only a handful of clubs represented at the US combine. Richmond was one of them.

Not many options for a college athlete if they don't get drafted. The athleticism of most college athletes is unbelievable. Untapped market imo.

Canadian Mike Pyke is doing well at the Swans but he's a rugby convert which is a closer version of our game compared to gridiron (same as Kieren Jack who grew up from a rugby family). K Hunt and Izzy F showed they've got a bit of natural skill.

I've heard Eric Wallace is struggling to cope at Norf and I think if you don't have the natural skill to play Aussie Rules from childhood, it becomes harder to adapt.

TigerForce said:
Canadian Mike Pyke is doing well at the Swans but he's a rugby convert which is a closer version of our game compared to gridiron (same as Kieren Jack who grew up from a rugby family). K Hunt and Izzy F showed they've got a bit of natural skill.

I've heard Eric Wallace is struggling to cope at Norf and I think if you don't have the natural skill to play Aussie Rules from childhood, it becomes harder to adapt.
There was a report on the weekend from Sandringham that the Saints American import Jason Holmes is doing very well. Just read a story on a certain website that Mason Cox is heading to Australia after his impressive camp showing. Saw a pic of him, string bean white guy. I had a mental picture of an African American.

tigertim said:
There was a report on the weekend from Sandringham that the Saints American import Jason Holmes is doing very well. Just read a story on a certain website that Mason Cox is heading to Australia after his impressive camp showing. Saw a pic of him, string bean white guy. I had a mental picture of an African American.

Good luck to the kid from Oklahoma... I'd rather go for the NBA draft to be honest. Who'd wanna play here....oh well. Interesting times.

TigerForce said:

It's by no means a guarantee but if the AFL can start tapping in to the bigger division 1 college talent then I believe there's a definite upside.

Eric Wallace bounced around 3 different colleges during his 5 years of college eligibility. Started at Ohio State then DePaul and finished at Seattle University. Ohio State is a big time school but he definitely started a downward trend from there ending up at Seattle. And now he's at North so the slide continues. I'm sure there were reasons but it's not usual to play for 3 different 4 year colleges. Usually means there's a problem whether it be attitude, ability or an inability to meet the required standards in the classroom.

Andre Holmes from the Saints also isn't from a big time college program. Started at Mississippi Valley State and then transferred to Morehead State. The interesting thing with him is that he has a brother in the NFL so there is obviously some athletic ability in the family.

It's a matter of opinion but there are a couple of good schools listed in the combine results at the start of this thread. Oklahoma State and Kansas probably the biggest. But still a lot of middle of the rung schools - Troy, New Mexico, Georgia Southern, Alcorn, Wagner, Northwestern State, Gonzaga etc. If the AFL can find a way to tap in to the types of schools in the SEC, Pac-12, Big-12 etc. that will increase the likelihood of success.

Using the NFL as an example most, if not all, of the schools I've listed as lower rung schools have or have had players in the NFL but they are a lot more rare than a lot of the big name schools e.g. LSU, Alabama, Miami, Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Nebraska, Texas, Oklahoma etc. The standards and calibre of athlete at these schools is outstanding and the chance of success greater rather than tapping in to schools like Colombia University.

Big Country said:
It's by no means a guarantee but if the AFL can start tapping in to the bigger division 1 college talent then I believe there's a definite upside.

Eric Wallace bounced around 3 different colleges during his 5 years of college eligibility. Started at Ohio State then DePaul and finished at Seattle University. Ohio State is a big time school but he definitely started a downward trend from there ending up at Seattle.

The Buckeyes are equivalent to Essendon by color and by ego.....over-rated, big-headed show-offs. ;D

Not sure why talls are a target for AFL clubs as the NBA would be first in line to grab them. The better ones for AFL teams to look for would be midfield/flanker types with pace and (exceptional) skill.

TigerForce said:
Not sure why talls are a target for AFL clubs as the NBA would be first in line to grab them. The better ones for AFL teams to look for would be midfield/flanker types with pace and (exceptional) skill.

I suspect the attraction is that the college age kids in the US that are 200+ cm have been in the gym for a number of years already. All that is left is to teach them how to play AFL. :help

I think you are right it's the midfield types with strength, speed and great athletic ability where the real upside could be. There's plenty of kids in the US that meet that criteria.

Looking at K.Hunt as an example, I think it's best to find a potential ruckman rather than a mid. Think Chief Bromden from One who flew over the cuckoos nest