Waylen Manson | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Waylen Manson

Brodders17 said:
looks like he has another 12months to show he wants to be an AFL footballer.

It just goes to show that the interview process carries more weight than in years gone by, the other factor could have been Waylen's inability to counteract the bigger bodies in the last few games he played. With his light frame he'll need to get serious about his strength and conditioning.

Lennox Street said:
See how he goes with the NT Thunder in the Queensland comp. A couple have gotten picked up that way.

has he signed to play with Thunder? if he hasnt it will be interesting where he plays next year. his best chance at getting drafted would be to go Ade/Perth/Melb and play, but obviously that would be a huge thing, and perhaps playing for Thunder would be a good small step.

He hasn't signed with Thunder. With all the build up and ensuing letdown, it wouldn't surprise me if he winds up back in WA. But, would love to see him stay.

Would posters agree that other than all the hoo-ha about Fev, this bloke has had the most press of a player NOT to be drafted?

Storm in a teacup it seems.

Massive Tiger said:
Would posters agree that other than all the hoo-ha about Fev, this bloke has had the most press of a player NOT to be drafted?

Agree. Two All-Australians not taken in any draft should be more deserving.

A few might have wanted to pull the trigger on the young fella but just may come across as too laconic for AFL and a likely high go home factor.

bullus_hit said:
It just goes to show that the interview process carries more weight than in years gone by, the other factor could have been Waylen's inability to counteract the bigger bodies in the last few games he played. With his light frame he'll need to get serious about his strength and conditioning.

I agree on your assessment of the importance of the interview.

He has the ability to play AFL no doubt.

Massive Tiger said:

Understandable though. It has the makings of a great story, the kid from nowhere who nobody knows wandering into the AFL. They make movies about that stuff in America. None of our journos actually cover recruiting except for a month a year so have to latch onto the one cinderella story they hear of. No different to the over-the-top love affair with the J-Pod.

Now we know who is taken it will be Orren Stephenson, Leigh Williams, Lee Spurr, Tory Dickson etc getting the press. The journos will be rapt they have a dozen human interest stories to follow.

It would certainly appear that the concerns on Waylen came through and that club's were a little too worried to pull the pin just now.

If Waylen is fair dinkum he will finish the season straongly for Tahs (currently struggling after an amazing burst of early season form) and then sign up to work his guts out for the NT Thunder. It's not too late for him if he's prepared to work hard to complement the obvious assets.

toothless said:
AnyOne know what this kid is upto?

Back at home playing local footy in the Kimberley. Came down to Perth for the Landmark Country Footy Champs in June, but went straight back home. Showed a bit, but reckon he will not leave his home.

Article in the HUN saying that Manson is a participant in Fox Footys show The Recruit (from which the winner gets a rookie list with an afl club I think?)

tigertim said:
(from which the winner gets a rookie list with an afl club I think?)

I'm pretty sure it's a spot on Brisbane's rookie list IIRC.

I'm more likely to watch if Manson is going to be on. I'm interested to see what the hype was.

Tigertool said:
I'm pretty sure it's a spot on Brisbane's rookie list IIRC.

I'm more likely to watch if Manson is going to be on. I'm interested to see what the hype was.
I hope it's better than the cricket version which was pretty dull.

More genuine real life reality tv shows. Watch the select hand full of prime contestants sweat, snivel, rant n cry their way through this gruelling fascinating pre scripted high drama of you are the biggest loser, get off. Bring back the hammerheads or whatever that other pretend thing was. Bloody ludicrous that some nuffer from a *smile* tv show gets a Willie Wonka gold ticket for a spot on a club list while hundreds of up coming kids and players from various codes have to scrape and scramble through the regular system year in year out hoping to impress enough to get selected at the drafts.

TigerMasochist said:
More genuine real life reality tv shows. Watch the select hand full of prime contestants sweat, snivel, rant n cry their way through this gruelling fascinating pre scripted high drama of you are the biggest loser, get off. Bring back the hammerheads or whatever that other pretend thing was. Bloody ludicrous that some nuffer from a *smile* tv show gets a Willie Wonka gold ticket for a spot on a club list while hundreds of up coming kids and players from various codes have to scrape and scramble through the regular system year in year out hoping to impress enough to get selected at the drafts.

Er... how are the players that are on the show any less worthy of a spot on an AFL list than anyone else? There were try-outs for this.

Danog said:
Er... how are the players that are on the show any less worthy of a spot on an AFL list than anyone else? There were try-outs for this.
Regardless of " try- outs " to establish a basic football talent criteria. Why does the AFL need to open up a separate avenue of access for a privileged handfull of photogenic television personalities? The final select dozen or so will be more about their camera friendly dramatic capability than their footy. See the heartbreak as Freddy gets eliminated, the tears and angst as George tries to recover from his tweaked hammy in time to compete in the three k time trial phhhhhhht!

TigerMasochist said:
Regardless of " try- outs " to establish a basic football talent criteria. Why does the AFL need to open up a separate avenue of access for a privileged handfull of photogenic television personalities? The final select dozen or so will be more about their camera friendly dramatic capability than their footy. See the heartbreak as Freddy gets eliminated, the tears and angst as George tries to recover from his tweaked hammy in time to compete in the three k time trial phhhhhhht!

You're being cynical. I doubt that an AFL club would have signed up for this if they didn't have a guarantee that that people contesting for the rookie spot were some of the best non-AFL players going around. They probably had extensive involvement in the try-out period, as well.