Welcome Derek Eggmolesse Smith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Derek Eggmolesse Smith

Sad for the lad, but he got given another chance ahead of others and didn't take it.

Also got a senior game against the Swans in Rnd 3 but had a mare from memory and was promptly dropped for the Kochies.

Tigers gave him plenty of opportunities but he did not improve on his deficiencies or improve the necessary hardness and intensity in his game that was questionable and they are non negotiable s at the RFC, that is why he was delisted last year but given one last shot to show improvement by getting the rookie life line.

He had a great opportunity to make a statement this year along with Naish with the injuries but they couldn't grasp them.

Mansell, Hugo and Parker to a lesser extent did.
Did he? Did the club. Got one 2021 game - must have been solely responsible for that poor defeat. Maybe Egg and Naish lack the hardness and intensity? Yet not sure VFL is soft; yet both succeed there. And both very good kicks, a premium skill in the game under these new rules.

I still doubt that we are prepared to give young guys enough opportunities - without expecting them to perform at high level immediately. I think both these guys might make it elsewhere, Egg more so. It's odd to me that we won't play youngsters for a series of games.

Think we expect too much too soon. Hugo I definitely value. Not sure Mansell and Parker are a long-term answer: pretty average disposal.

Reactions: 1 user
As others have said Egg was certainly a beautiful kick of the ball & did extremely well to win a spot back on the rookie list.
Hindsight says it was the wrong decision by the club to re-rookie him & we will no doubt learn from that.
Reality is not too many of those who've been cut only to be reinstated have made amends & justified the decision.

Dekka had many elements to make the grade.
Skills good, maybe not so great defensively but probably his biggest hurdle from reports is that he's struggled with the professional demands of AFL footy.
Yet another covid interrupted football season wouldn't have helped with his preparation, it would be a struggle for many of those at the lower levels.
Thanks Derek & good luck going forward.

Reactions: 9 users
Did he? Did the club. Got one 2021 game - must have been solely responsible for that poor defeat. Maybe Egg and Naish lack the hardness and intensity? Yet not sure VFL is soft; yet both succeed there. And both very good kicks, a premium skill in the game under these new rules.

I still doubt that we are prepared to give young guys enough opportunities - without expecting them to perform at high level immediately. I think both these guys might make it elsewhere, Egg more so. It's odd to me that we won't play youngsters for a series of games.

Think we expect too much too soon. Hugo I definitely value. Not sure Mansell and Parker are a long-term answer: pretty average disposal.
I reckon the game is 30% slower in the VFL. Thats the differance

I reckon the game is 30% slower in the VFL. Thats the differance
Yep, pressure is on you much quicker and the tackling is harder and better. Egg knew his kicking was his strength but never adjusted to hand-balling more when tried at AFL. You often just have to off-load the ball fast.

Just one of a number of players on our list who have talent but for whatever reason are unable to showcase it at the highest level. We just cannot afford to carry these types so the club needs to be ruthless

Good luck to the kid , if he works hard he could either get himself another opportunity or make a decent living from the game.

What did they learn about Eggs this season that they didn’t know last season?
Strange selection.
Wasted selection.
I’d be quessing they were looking at back up for Houli, his kicking of half back would have been something Dimma would have liked to use , also they probably didn’t expect Nigel to come on as quick as he did and then they had the added bonuses of DRioli and Syd getting back

our soufflé didnt rise twice,

after its superb golden peaks on Metricon against LOLNorf.

oh well, all the best eggs

When a guy has muppet arms and a soft belly after 5 years as a pro you have to question their absolute dedication. Add to it a complete lack of desire for the physical and you've got your soft-boiled eggs.

Reactions: 3 users
When a guy has muppet arms and a soft belly after 5 years as a pro you have to question their absolute dedication. Add to it a complete lack of desire for the physical and you've got your soft-boiled eggs.

I had a similar thought looking at a recent picture of Naishy.

4 years, half a million bucks and 2 COVID years with nothing to do but bicep curls,

and he's got arms like a rhythm guitarist.

I don't get it

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

I think both Mansell & Parker will be around for a quite a long time. Mansell will benefit with a full pre season under his belt & is only 21. Like Parker's tough attitude & will be a handy player if our ranks thin out due to injuries.

I had a similar thought looking at a recent picture of Naishy.

4 years, half a million bucks and 2 COVID years with nothing to do but bicep curls,

and he's got arms like a rhythm guitarist.

I don't get it
Muppet Arms :))

Last edited:
Harsh but true Dr Jazz.