Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Hugo's still developing and is rushed with his disposal, but when he sees a gap he's able to split the guts of the ground open with his run. With his speed and stamina, the wing will be his spot one, as well as whenever Marlion is suspended for scaring the maggots.

Dimma looks to strengths rather than weaknesses. Hugo's still developing but with a trajectory that's looking sharper than K-Mac's after he was first drafted. Kingsley's seeing this too.
Marlion is 31 next year. Kaps 29 I think.

Makes Hugo even more important.

Reactions: 4 users

Juffaricho

"Pressure wins Premierships"
Oct 26, 2007
Backup ruck is way more important to a premiership squad than back-up wing/half back. There are also lots more of this type available in the draft and trade market. So, you want to be sure you have an elite one if you decide to keep him in a situation like this.... assuming he is actually wanted by GWS.

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Banks on one wing and Hugo on the other. As Red just said our two current wingers are getting to the back end of their careers.
I just wonder if Banks and Hugo are tough enough to fill the roles of Marlion and Kmac. They have the speed and stamina but still need to learn the hardness to go with being a good wing. That said they both are, in my opinion, fine prospects that we can't afford to lose

Reactions: 1 users

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007
Who’s to say ‘roles’ won’t change. We effectively created the hard running, defensive wingman in 2017 with Bellis and Kmac. Marlion was an upgrade. Game plans/styles will evolve again and create opportunities for different types.

Reactions: 3 users

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
I just wonder if Banks and Hugo are tough enough to fill the roles of Marlion and Kmac. They have the speed and stamina but still need to learn the hardness to go with being a good wing. That said they both are, in my opinion, fine prospects that we can't afford to lose
No doubt KMac and Marlion are two tough Hombres. But I reckon the courage and fitness these two show to run back and help the defence and get in front of charging gorillas is more important than crunching opposition players (even though that's more fun to watch). Can Hugo and Banks or Short or anyone else do this...don't know yet. Two examples of less "tough" guys being good wingers are from the last two premiers. Ed Langdon and Isaac Smith.

I'd be telling Hugo to try to become Isaac Smith...no great task...just become a 4 time premiership player and Norm Smith medallist!

Reactions: 6 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Very, very different players.

Pickett and KMac are essentially defensive weapons on the wing. They cover space, provide numbers at the contest etc. Ralphsmith and Banks would be offensive weapons on the wing if they were to make it. Banks in particular is a classy mover with very good skills and you’d want to get the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We've got a young fella named Banks who may go past him pretty quickly.
Banks is a year or two behind Raaalph n we do have two wings. Fooosh 31 n Flappers 29, just looking to have ready to go new models nicely run in n seamlessly changed over.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
IMHO Banks will be a gun. Has exciting attributes at such a young age and is very composed. Hugo on the other hand is a bit of headless chook and most times seems to *smile* the bed when under any pressure. Dont see it with Hugo. Yes he can run and is decent for a goal but not much else. More than happy to use hin as trade bait. Clarke is also better skilled and composed and could easily convert to s wing

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Also dont compare Hugo to Isaac Smith. Smith was a highly skilled running machine. Bloke used to glide around the ground. Loved watching him play even though he would carve us up

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Also dont compare Hugo to Isaac Smith. Smith was a highly skilled running machine. Bloke used to glide around the ground. Loved watching him play even though he would carve us up

I think Redford said it, Hugo has elite sprint times and elite distance times. That's what Issac Smith had. And like Hugo, early on Smith struggled with decision-making. Smith was instructed to run as far and fast as he can they just go long, and everyone in the team knew what he was going to do.

I don't think the Smith calls are silly, he can play that role. Can he be that good? That's the question. But he fits the role's parameters.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Man if Hugo turns into a 4 time premiership player with us I would be a very contented man

Reactions: 1 users