Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

Just not true at all.

Hardwick would readily give games to a young players he liked and thought had AFL traits. He’d also practically shun those he didn’t care for. In vast majority of cases he was bang on, the players he rated generally turned out well and those he didn’t were discarded.

Hardwick is an excellent judge of young talent and has only been proven more right this year by the performances of some of our recent draftees.

Also Ralphsmith has played multiple stretches of 7 games in a row in past seasons.
It's really easy to pluck out kids that have AFL traits, it's the coach's challenge to turn them into AFL players , not every player you have on the list has the talent right away. We milk the old guys for everything when youngsters could perform the same role.

Reactions: 1 user
Just not true at all.

Hardwick would readily give games to a young players he liked and thought had AFL traits. He’d also practically shun those he didn’t care for. In vast majority of cases he was bang on, the players he rated generally turned out well and those he didn’t were discarded.

Hardwick is an excellent judge of young talent and has only been proven more right this year by the performances of some of our recent draftees.

Also Ralphsmith has played multiple stretches of 7 games in a row in past seasons.
I think he might ultimately be proven right on Hugo too.
We're 2nd last, have won 1 game & have a truckload of injuries.

Just not true at all.

I'm noticing Ooze get closer to the kids more than Dimma ever did. Dimma looked too formal. It's not a coincidence we see Hugo and Mozza show signs of progression in Ooze's 1st year. Dimma only showed thought for Mansell (remember that shouting at the oppo - Williamstown? player in a 2nds match last season or 2022) and I still don't see much progression in Mansell.

Reactions: 2 users
I never wrote him off, but I had concerns that have lessened after saturday. I never had concerns about his appetite for the contest though, just his ability.

(Same as some criticism on here of Dow as soft, he may not make it, but he's not soft).

He had 9 possessions last week. He's no longer terrible but I'm still not sold on him as a starting 22 player.
Yep, he was one of a whole bunch of players that got a huge flogging. Also good to see that he n his bunch of team mates dusted themselves off n had a red hot crack against Essendrugs. Simply the standard of effort that all fans want to see every week regardless of who we're playing against. We all know that injuries and transitioning through the list makes it extremely difficult to win n we can accept that fact if the team cracks in. It's unacceptable to have to sit n watch as the team collectively bares their arses for a reaming because it's all to hard to fight.

Hugo Joins KaneMac , LeFau and Miller as our positives for this season. I’m finally glad people are taking away the soft stigma that was associated with his game. He’s shown some courage this year putting his body on the line for his teammates. I wish a few more could show his courage and run just as hard. Definitely a keeper long term now that he’s got this belief he belongs and can play at the level.
Add Browny and Maurice Minor to that list.

• Love
He’s improving.
He’s finding himself
I’m sticking.
I think Yze will nurture these young guys.

Reactions: 8 users
I liked his game and is improving week by week. Think he can make the wing his own. Provides good run and carry, and gets back to help the backline out.
He also has good hands.

Yze has provided the hard-running Ralphsmith with the opportunity to play on a wing, and the 22-year-old has responded in fine fashion.

So far this season, Ralphsmith is averaging an AFL career-high 14.8 disposals, 4.8 contested possessions, 4.7 marks, 2.2 tackles, 2.2 inside-50s, 1.5 rebound-50s, 3.3 score involvements and 290.5 metres gained per match.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
He's improved from a low base in his 5th year. He's still below average in most areas.
It's not a breakthrough season.
The key question for me is now much improvement is left & whether we can do better elsewhere.
But am happy to keep playing him given our current predicament & see if the trajectory improves any further.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
Just not true at all.

Said in an interview tonight that this is the first time he’s played 4 consecutive matches where he hasn’t been the sub at least once.

He looked like he’d filled out a bit. Bit more muscle, fuller face.
That is the ingredient for success as more muscle engineers the body to break tackles . Just look at Dusty Vlas Broad Grimes KMac Jack all hard muscle types who deliver week after week.

He was very good tonight again. Made 1 poor choice in the 2nd half with ball in hand when he went long to Lefau, when he had a free man on a shorter lead, but overall was very good IMO. Has taken huge steps this season.

Reactions: 9 users
Improving his running game but his one on one contesting especially his tacking and closed contest work is still ordinary.

• Wow
On an upwards trajectory overall. Hard running, not afraid to get stuck in or find the ball. OK. he made a few errors on distribution but has come a long way from last season

Just not true at all.

Sorry mate there's a fair bit to unpack here. He gave games to those he liked and shunned others. How are we to know the ones he shunned couldn't be developed? He's been proven right that some of our recruits are no good. Are you talking about the ones that are only getting consistent game time now? I feel you're having a circular argument.

I never wrote him off, but I had concerns that have lessened after saturday. I never had concerns about his appetite for the contest though, just his ability.

(Same as some criticism on here of Dow as soft, he may not make it, but he's not soft).
Totally agree on Dow, definatly goes in hard, if could put on a few more pounds and muscle on, I think he would be a lot better and a do remember a skinny kid call Edwards that copped a fair bit on here back in the day