Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Hugo Ralphsmith

Agree with the consensus. Pleasantly surprised by his output but he looks like an AFL winger. Even handling the physical stuff well which I couldn't see coming.

Future piece of the puzzle sorted. Now just need Banks to show the same

Reactions: 5 users
Sometimes these kids just need to be given an opportunity.

For all the great things Hardwick did the last few years he was reluctant to play this kids.

Reactions: 9 users
Watched the replay. I was impressed on the night but the replay really highlighted his work rate and discipline. His running looks strong, If he can keep this up we have found a wingman.

Reactions: 2 users
Hugo is common thread with most of our 3rd and 4th year cubs , they are getting chances , improving, however I’m not to sure any are locked in 100 gamers and are going to be good enough to form the nucleus of our next Premiership side , this season and the off season at Punt rd is massive for us

Reactions: 2 users
Body lining the ball.
Repeat efforts.
Getting to the contest regularly and sometimes leading to outnumbers.
Just way less clangers is the main thing. Stuffing up a turnover play just kills you on the rebound and he has seemingly eradicated this element and because of that must be building massively in confidence.

Im probably his biggest supporter since he was drafted and good to see he is now starting to get his game upto the level and getting harder at the contest.

Still a baby with 38 games and 22 years old

Reactions: 3 users
Sometimes these kids just need to be given an opportunity.

For all the great things Hardwick did the last few years he was reluctant to play this kids.
Ralphsmith had played 32 games before this year. He was given plenty of opportunities under Hardwick.

Reactions: 1 user
Hugo Joins KaneMac , LeFau and Miller as our positives for this season. I’m finally glad people are taking away the soft stigma that was associated with his game. He’s shown some courage this year putting his body on the line for his teammates. I wish a few more could show his courage and run just as hard. Definitely a keeper long term now that he’s got this belief he belongs and can play at the level.

Reactions: 3 users
Love to see it

Think it was only Sinners and I on Ralphsmith Island for a while there

Good replacement for KMac ultimately.

He had 9 possessions last week. He's no longer terrible but I'm still not sold on him as a starting 22 player.
Same, I'm no longer nervous about him getitng the ball but he needs to get involved more.

But not consistently.
So this. Let's be honest, we could have given Hugo 20 games from K-Mac the last two years and had a much better idea of where hs is after 50 games.

That's Hardwicks flaw, he never tried to integrate the kids into the 18-22 spots. He would rather play veterans. Unless a kid could straight replace a vet's output on that given day, he wouldn't play them.

Reactions: 1 users
I love his gut running ,it's at afl levels.

18 against Bulldogs, 9 against Brisbane and 17 against Essendon

Has averaged 14.8 in 6 games this year. McIntosh has averaged 14.65 over 178 games

EDIT - was replying to Jokershoppe's comment but the comment has changed

Same, I'm no longer nervous about him getitng the ball but he needs to get involved more.

So this. Let's be honest, we could have given Hugo 20 games from K-Mac the last two years and had a much better idea of where hs is after 50 games.

That's Hardwicks flaw, he never tried to integrate the kids into the 18-22 spots. He would rather play veterans. Unless a kid could straight replace a vet's output on that given day, he wouldn't play them.
Just not true at all.

Hardwick would readily give games to a young players he liked and thought had AFL traits. He’d also practically shun those he didn’t care for. In vast majority of cases he was bang on, the players he rated generally turned out well and those he didn’t were discarded.

Hardwick is an excellent judge of young talent and has only been proven more right this year by the performances of some of our recent draftees.

Also Ralphsmith has played multiple stretches of 7 games in a row in past seasons.

Reactions: 4 users