Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Liam Baker has gawn up about eight rungs in the batting order this year.

We don't talk about whether Jayden Short should play #2 mid. Or Daniel Rioli. That would be silly.

And we didn't think we'd be playing Baker there but here we are.

Baker has been prolifically shithouse with the ball for a fortnight. This is very good.

We know why. Promoted far too high far too quickly. Good. Challenged.

No tank yet so fatigue. Good. Challenged.

Oh, and hopeless in the first half but lifting as the game wears on. Wants to win. Lifts.

Keeps going. Keeps failing. Love.

Reactions: 5 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I have often posted about the mythic *smile* of Jack Higgins but Liam Baker's *smile* is a statue. He literally has Tyrone Vickery for a *smile*.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Like it Haz, but I would send him back and offload Astbury.

This is because Grimes will be forced to play a man with Astbury out which leaves Vlastuin and Bakes to run intercept.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I have often posted about the mythic *smile* of Jack Higgins but Liam Baker's *smile* is a statue. He literally has Tyrone Vickery for a *smile*.

It’s the balls, Jack. They’re so big that finding his *smile* is like looking at a senescent orangutan in the face.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Maybe we can use it to man the mark, then Bakes can fill the hole with the rest of his body.

• Haha

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Like it Haz, but I would send him back and offload Astbury.

This is because Grimes will be forced to play a man with Astbury out which leaves Vlastuin and Bakes to run intercept.

Agree with these calls

Baker stepped up to address our issue of missing personnel - and gave it a good shot - especially against GWS. But with one or two coming back it’s quite OK to have him go back where he’s performed consistently and well for quite a while now

And Dave - despite the 3 flags and all - might now have to make way for now for the purposes of overall team balance. I also reckon we want a settled backline and a backup for Nank (and it’d be CCJ for me) something has to give.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Agree with these calls

Baker stepped up to address our issue of missing personnel - and gave it a good shot - especially against GWS. But with one or two coming back it’s quite OK to have him go back where he’s performed consistently and well for quite a while now

And Dave - despite the 3 flags and all - might now have to make way for now for the purposes of overall team balance. I also reckon we want a settled backline and a backup for Nank (and it’d be CCJ for me) something has to give.
I agree Astbury's form as a KPD has been a concern; he has dropped away where he used to be so solid. However, maybe people are not evaluating whether his slide has coincided with being flung into the ruck because Dimma and SC refuse to play a 2nd ruck. Even though we were travelling very well in doing so when Soldo was up and about.
Dave is still our tallest defender in an undersized backline where there is no-one near 200cm to play on the monster KPFs. Dave is our biggest at 196cm and a highly capable defender when at his best.

Play Chol or CCJ and leave Balta and DTLD back; stop destabilizing our BL structure (although giving Noah a burst in the middle can be used as a tactical shock weapon when needed). This gives our jaundiced FL a new look too. I have real doubts that an aging JR8 can play 4 full Qs any more.
Might see Dave get back to his best.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Maybe its me, but I really don't get all the graphic descriptions of the players' genitalia. I understand it's a metaphor but even so.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I would change up the structure a little, out would be one of Rioli or Castagna and in CCJ.

Baker back to defence but roaming around a bit and maybe the occasional rotation into the middle.

Balta, Grimes and Astbury solid in defence with Vlastuin and Broad intercepting and/or taking on the next forward. I think a lot of Astbury's issues have come from clean opposition delivery forward from not only losing clearances but not ensuring opposition clearances are pressured.

DS

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I would change up the structure a little, out would be one of Rioli or Castagna and in CCJ.

Baker back to defence but roaming around a bit and maybe the occasional rotation into the middle.

Balta, Grimes and Astbury solid in defence with Vlastuin and Broad intercepting and/or taking on the next forward. I think a lot of Astbury's issues have come from clean opposition delivery forward from not only losing clearances but not ensuring opposition clearances are pressured.

DS
If we play those 5 down back, plus Baker, it only leaves room for 1 of Short or Houli.
I dont think we will see Baker go back in the near future, unless there are injuries, or more bad form.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If we play those 5 down back, plus Baker, it only leaves room for 1 of Short or Houli.
I don't think we will see Baker go back in the near future, unless there are injuries, or more bad form.

Fair point, maybe Baker rotates forward a bit. Hard to fit them all in but I seem to recall we have managed in the past.

DS

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Loved him in the guts when we needed him but our defence looks much better when Bakes is back there.

Reactions: 1 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Stepped up when we were looking shaky.

Gonna give the Jack Dyer a massive shake this year and deservedly so

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Dimmas go to man. Should start back though and be used mid forward if required.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I dont think we will see Baker go back in the near future, unless there are injuries, or more bad form.
yep, again i was right. it took over a half of football for Baker to return to the backline.
now i reckon he should stay there, at least as long as we have most of our regular mids- and Bolton and Dusty to rotate up forward.