Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Once you've proven yourself (or not) at Bakes age, it is completely irrelevant where they were drafted.

It is what he is worth to us now that matters. Not where taken.
Exactly. This isn't an investment property that you're selling at a massive gain ....and happy days thereafter. Its a current value exercise. i.e. we've got a 26 year old leader at the peak of his powers, a guy that busts a gut every week, sets an example etc. and is one of our best players. Its about what we get in return for losing that RIGHT NOW, especially as we try to rebuild with younger players that need a bit of support and leadership over the next 5 years. We don't really have anyone else quite like Baker. The past means bugger all.

If 5 x $1m is true, then that's early 1st round draft pick territory for mine so maybe we get the comensurate value and I could maybe live with it. But who's to say that'll even work out for us ? Known quantity v unknown. You've got every man and his dog right now saying that the Draft doesnt really work where re-buiding is concerned.

It's a robbing Peter to pay Paul situation a bit for mine.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Exactly. This isn't an investment property that you're selling at a massive gain ....and happy days. Its a current value exercise. i.e. we've got a 26 year old leader at the peak of his powers, a guy that busts a gut every week, sets an example etc. and is one of our best players. Its about what we get in return for losing that RIGHT NOW, especially as we try to rebuild with younger players that need a bit of support and leadership over the next 5 years. The past means f all.

If 5 x $1m is true, then that's early 1st round draft pick territory for mine so maybe we get the comensurate value and I could maybe live with it. But who's to say that'll work out for us ? Known quantity v unknown. You've got every man and his dog right now saying that the Draft doesnt really work where re-buiding is concerned.

Yeah if those numbers are true, which you would assume would be from West Coast as I doubt Freo would have room in their cap to pay someone $1m / year unless they let someone high paid leave, then you would be expecting a very high price for him.

It would be difficult to get compensated by West Coast for him though as I doubt they would just give us Pick 1. Maybe if they are Pick 1 and we are Pick 4 or 5, maybe we get an upgrade and their 2nd or something like that. So we end up with Pick 1 and give them Pick 4 but also get the 1st pick of night 2 of the draft.

Whats Finn O'Sullivan like? Is he a clone of his cousin Sam Walsh? If so I'd probably do it for the known quality you are getting.

Ultimately if we chooses to go there, then we will make it work, its just more difficult to be compensated adequately by them.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah if those numbers are true, which you would assume would be from West Coast as I doubt Freo would have room in their cap to pay someone $1m / year unless they let someone high paid leave, then you would be expecting a very high price for him.

It would be difficult to get compensated by West Coast for him though as I doubt they would just give us Pick 1. Maybe if they are Pick 1 and we are Pick 4 or 5, maybe we get an upgrade and their 2nd or something like that. So we end up with Pick 1 and give them Pick 4 but also get the 1st pick of night 2 of the draft.

Whats Finn O'Sullivan like? Is he a clone of his cousin Sam Walsh? If so I'd probably do it for the known quality you are getting.

Ultimately if we chooses to go there, then we will make it work, its just more difficult to be compensated adequately by them.
That's what I was thinking as well. It'd have to be something along those lines. Welcome Jagga Smith if that's the case.

O'Sullivan looks good to me. He's top 4 for mine and might end up number 1 himself yet.

Whatever, Baker is abslutely no less than a top 5-6 pick for mine, esp if 5 x $1m is correct.

Reactions: 3 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Must pay overs.

Players averaging 20+ disposals & 1+ goal this season (minimum 2 games played):
Isaac Heeney
Marcus Bontempelli
Connor Rozee
Errol Gulden
Sam Clohesy
Josh Kelly
Jason Horne-Francis
Liam Baker
Chad Warner
Jacob Hopper

Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
That's what I was thinking as well. It'd have to be something along those lines. Welcome Jagga Smith if that's the case.

O'Sullivan looks good to me. He's top 4 for mine and might end up number 1 himself yet.

Whatever, Baker is abslutely no less than a top 5-6 pick for mine, esp if 5 x $1m is correct.

Geez this would be nice if we could swing it. I MIGHT even shut up about Bolton if we nabbed a top fiver.

But I probably won’t

• Haha

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Would be nice if it's Wet Cokes first to go alongside our first this year. We'd probably have to fudge them a bit of shrapnel to go along with Bakes but 2 top five picks would be a very nice way to commence the resurrection.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

100% they would have to put up the Number 1 pick. Is Baker worth a number 1 pick in isolation? No way. But if West Coast are offering crazy money then the compensation needs to match.

As MrP says, it would be a swap of very early picks and then some later picks.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
100% they would have to put up the Number 1 pick. Is Baker worth a number 1 pick in isolation? No way. But if West Coast are offering crazy money then the compensation needs to match.

As MrP says, it would be a swap of very early picks and then some later picks.
Not if the AFL steps in….

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not if the AFL steps in….

The AFL can't step in unless they think a trade is massively out of order (which is why they need to approve all trades). If WC are willing to pay him $1m a season, they would struggle to argue that he isn't worth a very high pick in that instance

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Exactly. This isn't an investment property that you're selling at a massive gain ....and happy days thereafter. Its a current value exercise. i.e. we've got a 26 year old leader at the peak of his powers, a guy that busts a gut every week, sets an example etc. and is one of our best players. Its about what we get in return for losing that RIGHT NOW, especially as we try to rebuild with younger players that need a bit of support and leadership over the next 5 years. We don't really have anyone else quite like Baker. The past means bugger all.

If 5 x $1m is true, then that's early 1st round draft pick territory for mine so maybe we get the comensurate value and I could maybe live with it. But who's to say that'll even work out for us ? Known quantity v unknown. You've got every man and his dog right now saying that the Draft doesnt really work where re-buiding is concerned.

Would you pay him 5 x $1m to keep him?

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
The AFL can't step in unless they think a trade is massively out of order (which is why they need to approve all trades). If WC are willing to pay him $1m a season, they would struggle to argue that he isn't worth a very high pick in that instance
Exactly. They cant intervene unless there is a stalemate.

But on that sort of money, how can WCE argue the trade.

BTW I love Bakes but that is crazy money for him. He aint worth that. Nor is he worth a top 5 pick.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Not all picks 1s are equal. There are no Harley Reids or Horne-Francises in this draft (or Jed Walterses for that matter).

West Coast might bank on improving next year with Bakes and another year into their young'uns, and maybe we get a pick around 6 next year.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The AFL steps in when clubs can’t agree. WCE are every chance to leverage off the AFL’s hatred of us.

• Angry

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Not all picks 1s are equal. There are no Harley Reids or Horne-Francises in this draft (or Jed Walterses for that matter).

West Coast might bank on improving next year with Bakes and another year into their young'uns, and maybe we get a pick around 6 next year.
That might support my theory that this Draft isn’t all that good, really.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
That might support my theory that this Draft isn’t all that good, really.
Yeah, I don't think it has the very top quality. No Reid, Walters, JHF, or even Callahan or Cadman. I do like O'Sullivan though. We should try to move a pick or two into next year, and if a first-rounder is on the table for Bakes, ask for it in 2025.

But it's early. Common wisdom was last year's wasn't much good, but it's turning out to be pretty decent. Would Riley Sanders go pick 1 this year?