Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah, I don't think it has the very top quality. No Reid, Walters, JHF, or even Callahan or Cadman. I do like O'Sullivan though. We should try to move a pick or two into next year, and if a first-rounder is on the table for Bakes, ask for it in 2025.

But it's early. Common wisdom was last year's wasn't much good, but it's turning out to be pretty decent. Would Riley Sanders go pick 1 this year?
Fair calls on all fronts there I think. O'Sullivan looks good. Smith is interesting. I see gaps in many others that may or may not resolve themselves. Too early just yet. Sanders would go close, yes.

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
His done well for a rookie pick.
Being around guys like, Cotchin, Martin, Lambert and Sheds would helped him a lot to develop. 2x premiership player.
Can’t blame him for cashing in.

Reactions: 1 user

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
As others have said pick 1 does not have a particular value. This year it is not the value of a Reid, or a Horne Francis.
So the question becomes is a 26 year old Baker equal to the value of our possible no 1 choice, Jagga Smith.
Don’t know enough to have an answer but
equally I don’t think there is any evidence to suggest that such a trade would be unfairly tipped in our favour.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
If West Coast have pick 1 in the main draft they will also have pick 1 in the pre-season draft

So if we try to be too hard in negotiations then they could walk baker to the pre-season draft and we get 2/5ths of nothing

Reactions: 4 users

Webbie26

Tiger Rookie
May 17, 2023
If West Coast have pick 1 in the main draft they will also have pick 1 in the pre-season draft

So if we try to be too hard in negotiations then they could walk baker to the pre-season draft and we get 2/5ths of nothing
Never happen baker is a richmond man and would never do that to the club!!!!

Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The AFL can't step in unless they think a trade is massively out of order (which is why they need to approve all trades). If WC are willing to pay him $1m a season, they would struggle to argue that he isn't worth a very high pick in that instance

Since when have the AFL needed to put up an argument to do whatever the hell takes their fancy at the time?

DS

Reactions: 5 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Just signed a 9 year deal.
He is a good player but he isn't a Riewoldt Dusty Edwards or Grimes
No big deal as long we get looked after.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Exactly. They cant intervene unless there is a stalemate.

But on that sort of money, how can WCE argue the trade.

BTW I love Bakes but that is crazy money for him. He aint worth that. Nor is he worth a top 5 pick.
Agree

Looking forward to being the Bandidos for once

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If he was a Richmond man he will stay

I think in most cases I'd agree and he probably needs to get to be in an overpaid situation to leave. $5m over 5 years at West Coast would be hard to turn down. In all reality our offer is probably $700-$750k for those 5 years. Would you be able to turn down the best part of $1m after tax over 5 years more? I'm not sure I could. That would completely ensure that his future is sorted and he'd be setup for life, to live a very comfortable life at that too.

Reactions: 4 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
I think in most cases I'd agree and he probably needs to get to be in an overpaid situation to leave. $5m over 5 years at West Coast would be hard to turn down. In all reality our offer is probably $700-$750k for those 5 years. Would you be able to turn down the best part of $1m after tax over 5 years more? I'm not sure I could. That would completely ensure that his future is sorted and he'd be setup for life, to live a very comfortable life at that too.
100% true , but I’d be shocked if anyone would be offering him 1mil , I get your point though 👍

Feeling Tigerish

Tiger Champion
Apr 11, 2009
Have to feel for Yze in his first season. Team blown to pieces by injury and constant chatter about players leaving.
Not to mention the ceo leaving as well as the head recruiter. The poor bloke has been given the wheel of a sinking ship

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
If Bakes goes, I’d be trying to get everything we can out of this draft. We’d be likely to have at least 2 top 10 picks (I can’t see us finishing higher than 15). The player exodus and the injury epidemic will affect next years results (not to mention the AFL’s inexplicable vendetta against the club) and we’ll get at least one more high draft pick (could even be top 5) at the end of 2025. I hope Yze knows how to develop players, because he’s going to have a lot of kids to work with, if we can keep them on the park.

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
I just want him to play great this season. if he stays it's a bonus if he goes then we need very good picks, swaps.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
If the figures of 1 million dollars a year for five years are correct you couldn't really blame Bakes for going. That's the type of money we are paying Shai. Mind you we should get a decent pick back although him being out of contract doesn't help.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Not to mention the ceo leaving as well as the head recruiter. The poor bloke has been given the wheel of a sinking ship
Way to test his mettle. Tough gig being an afl coach. Adversity tests the best of people. Will it strengthen his resolve?
You cant ask players to do the hard yards if you don't have it in you to do the same.

I believe whatever is thrown his way he will handle it and just get on with the job. Coach’s can’t bemoan what they’ve got no control over.
As long as he has board support and the member/supporter base are realistic to know where we are.
No false dawns. Just deal with the cards we’re dealt and do the best we can