Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He has been very quiet in recent times, has the chief. Very little media since the start of the season.
Head down n arse up busy workin as he should be. No need to roll him out at the moment coz even the meedjia understands that we're half crippled with injury and aren't bothering to have a crack at us.

Just on this issue, I noticed in today's Hun that the Woofers CEO Baines has suddenly crawled into the sunlight n backed the coach to protect him from the meedjia mob. Prick din't crawl out until after they'd had a ten goal win and the sun was shining bright, bet no-one would have heard a peep from him if the Woofers had lost that game to StKiddenme. Not a bloke I'd want riding shotgun for me.

Reactions: 3 users

jamo

The face of Evil
Apr 23, 2004
melbourne
I am more than happy for bakes to go home and we get a 1st rounder, I would also be happy to see Rioli go to the Suns for a 1st rounder, love them both and they have given us flags, but if they want to go, let them, and the club goes to the draft with plenty of power for a strong rebuild.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Hate to see Bakes go. Love him. But. If the touted money on offer of $1m (potentially +) are true and we are more around the $750k pa. Then an extra $1.25m to him to go home is pretty damned attractive.

Stay at Tiges? He is 26 at the moment. Are we in the window for a flag in his remaining playing days? At the moment probably not.

Go to Freo. Gets back to WA and pockets more money for his trouble. Freo are in better shape for a crack at the flag in the next 4-5 years than we are.

We have a number of picks available in the draft now. Looks like an earlyish pick on our own. Freo will have to cough up something decent for a dual premiership player who has plenty of miles left in the tank. The draft will potentially be compromised to help Tassie pretty soon. So we need to get young talent in before that happens.

Very plausible that he will be heading home. Yze has said he won’t stand in his way if he decides to go back to WA. Think the Clubs will sort something out to everyone's satisfaction if he states he wants to go.

It looks like he may get an offer he can't refuse. If that is the case then you can hardly blame Bakes if he leaves, it's a short career as a footy player. Will always be a favourite at Richmond.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
It looks like he may get an offer he can't refuse. If that is the case then you can hardly blame Bakes if he leaves, it's a short career as a footy player. Will always be a favourite at Richmond.

DS
What do you mean 'you can't blame Baker?'
Heaps of people turn down money because the environment they are currently in, ask Riewoldt, ask Dusty ask Richo.
If it wasn't for us, Baker would be milking Cows.
He owes us. Either he stays or he makes sure he picks a club that compensated us.

Reactions: 1 user

tired'lilah

Tiger Cub
Oct 23, 2023
What do you mean 'you can't blame Baker?'
Heaps of people turn down money because the environment they are currently in, ask Riewoldt, ask Dusty ask Richo.
If it wasn't for us, Baker would be milking Cows.
He owes us. Either he stays or he makes sure he picks a club that compensated us.
I think 2 things are true, saying we can't blame him for leaving for a better deal isn't the same as saying he can take a dump on the way out, he's allowed to go & chase a better deal, but you'd have every right to expect he does it in the right way

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I think 2 things are true, saying we can't blame him for leaving for a better deal isn't the same as saying he can take a dump on the way out, he's allowed to go & chase a better deal, but you'd have every right to expect he does it in the right way
He came through the Richmond Academy The Rookie draft.

grumpytiger

Tiger Matchwinner
May 6, 2007
Watching tonight - surely bakes picks the eagles. Harley Reid will be carrying the side on his back within the next 2 years, and freo are their usual mediocre selves. Trade will be interesting - do the eagles think they have enough talent to give up a top 5 pick for bakes?

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Watching tonight - surely bakes picks the eagles. Harley Reid will be carrying the side on his back within the next 2 years, and freo are their usual mediocre selves. Trade will be interesting - do the eagles think they have enough talent to give up a top 5 pick for bakes?
Yep and don't forget Matt Clarke now there.

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Can't see him leaving. Reckon he is next as skipper.

However, should he feel the need to move on for monetary reasons gagf.

Like zips pointed out, Jack turned down the dockers at our lowest ebb, Richo the same and Dusty left millions on the table.

Yeah it's going to be tough but who says we can't again?

He belongs at the Tiges.

Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Depends, they will never give up a pick under 10 for Baker.
But i won't accept our 1st pick for there's if they finish under us.
Yeo for Baker

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

tired'lilah

Tiger Cub
Oct 23, 2023
Yeo for Baker
Yeo, who's only played like 10 games in the past 3 years, with our strength & conditioning department? Better ask the eagles to throw the set of crutches he'll inevitably need. (And even if we've got a new S&C group by then, they'd be too unproven for it to be safe to deliberately bring in someone that injury prone)