Welcome Liam Baker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Liam Baker

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
SCOOP said:
Do I think we have too many small forwards? Probably.

Did we just win a flag based on small forward pressure? Probably.

So I’ll shut up and go with it. But I do have a crazy theory that I’m putting out there. The small pressure forward is about to becoming the ruck trade scenario that some clubs cashed in on. Remember when Cameron Wood got pick 14? If the game keeps getting faster and more pressure based, we will be in surplus for the next three years and able to trade out smalls for sneaky second and third round picks. Maybe we are ahead of the curve on this.

But I’m not fussed with the pick, good luck to the lad. Club has huge credits in the bank so no point getting riled up.
I like the point you make & that is up to us if it is correct or not, If we are contending again next yr with the same style Clubs will be clammering for small fwd types which is where the theory comes in. Our drafting seems to indicate that as far as that style of play is concerned, this yr is only the beginning. Next season it may still even be our "POD". which if that is how it turns out we must cash in on it.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
I wonder what Btoz thinks about this pick.

You rang? 8- 8- 8-
We won :cupgold with midgets. Bring on the midgets I say lets go back to back :cupgold with midgets everywhere :)

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
btoz_01 said:
You rang? 8- 8- 8-
We won :cupgold with midgets. Bring on the midgets I say lets go back to back :cupgold with midgets everywhere :)
So what your saying is that the Prestia trade was a good move? ;)

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Jonesracing82 said:
So what your saying is that the Prestia trade was a good move? ;)

Let me clarify....Our midget stood tall in the finals & we won :cupgold Its :happy :happy :happy :happy :gotigers

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
tigerlove said:
It's fine to stock up on midgets but we do have to remember that our smaller forwards this year who played any decent amount of time consisted of Lambert 178cm, Rioli 179cm, Castagna 181, Butler 182, Caddy 186cm, Martin 187cm, Townsend 187cm. The up and coming fleet - who really haven't proven themselves at AFL level yet or are new - are Stengle 171cm, Bolton 175, Higgins 178 and now Baker 173(?), so we're looking at quite a significant height difference in the new crop. I'm not really sure Baker was the right selection for us. I wouldn't have minded a bit taller outside player with speed as that's one area I think we can improve.

naish will be developed for that role, menadue should be ready to cash in as would markov or short if called up. that said i too am a bit surprised he fitted our needs however ill also go with the point made that they are becoming a commodity and we will likely be able to trade out and get r2 selections in return which is a great position to be in

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
You know we have two many mosquito forwards when we pack out the seniors, pack out the vfl side and we still have mosquito forwards left over who can't get time in their position.

Which is the case now. Anyone who doesn't have the speed/endurance to get to the contests will have a hard time getting a vfl forward spot let alone a run in the ones.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
btoz_01 said:
You rang? 8- 8- 8-

Yep. We're rolling the dice.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Brettstigers said:
You know we have two many mosquito forwards when we pack out the seniors, pack out the vfl side and we still have mosquito forwards left over who can't get time in their position.

Which is the case now. Anyone who doesn't have the speed/endurance to get to the contests will have a hard time getting a vfl forward spot let alone a run in the ones.

I can see some moving down back a la Short. Baker a candidate for this imo.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Ok I’ve watched the highlights and he moves like Sam Mitchell. I still don’t know if he is a right or left footer. I hope he turns out like Mitchell.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The Mole said:
Ok I’ve watched the highlights and he moves like Sam Mitchell. I still don’t know if he is a right or left footer. I hope he turns out like Mitchell.
I think he’s a natural left footer.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I wonder if the drafting of more midgets is a response to the possibility of our hunger dropping off.

If you look at our team, the likes of Rance, Cotchin, Martin, Reiwoldt, Vlastuin, Grimes etc etc will simply die for the team on any given week.

If the smalls drop their pressure by even just a few percent, then this is the one area tat could see our game plan slide a little.

By having selection pressure maybe we can alleviate that possibility somewhat.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
frickenel said:
I wonder if the drafting of more midgets is a response to the possibility of our hunger dropping off.

If you look at our team, the likes of Rance, Cotchin, Martin, Reiwoldt, Vlastuin, Grimes etc etc will simply die for the team on any given week.

If the smalls drop their pressure by even just a few percent, then this is the one area tat could see our game plan slide a little.

By having selection pressure maybe we can alleviate that possibility somewhat.

It’s a good point. The footy department have created the pressure from within the club to be the driving force to keep the pressure up on the ground.

Doesn’t matter what opponents do, if we keep the same game plan and the competition for spots in the forward line goes up, theoretically the actually pressure applied on game day will go up or at the very least stay the same. Wipe out any premiership hangover in the one area we already have a market advantage on.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I don't believe the club has drafted all these 'small' players as just fowards

Bolton,Rioli,Butler,Higgins will all be eventually rotated through the midfield/Wing/HB

Im thinking we will be taking this 'pressure' gameplan to another level in the next 2 years where we could have 10-12 players rotating mid/fwds all putting pressure on midfield and foward positions - Almost like a wave of midgets running everywhere with no other teams knowing where they will be the next minute

Mosquito Fleet to the Max

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
turk-d-tiger said:
I don't believe the club has drafted all these 'small' players as just fowards

Bolton,Rioli,Butler,Higgins will all be eventually rotated through the midfield/Wing/HB

Im thinking we will be taking this 'pressure' gameplan to another level in the next 2 years where we could have 10-12 players rotating mid/fwds all putting pressure on midfield and foward positions - Almost like a wave of midgets running everywhere with no other teams knowing where they will be the next minute

Mosquito Fleet to the Max

If this is true and it might be, who does it push out? Grigg? McIntosh? Ellis? The midgets have to replace somebody.

I hate to say it but Leysy has spoke about Bolton off half back and I don’t mind it. One of the few things I liked about GWS was watching Zac Williams and Nathan Wilson launch attack after attack. We lack that a bit. If Bolton can do that, I’m all for it. May give Baker a shot.

E

easy_tiger

SCOOP said:
One of the few things I liked about GWS was watching Zac Williams and Nathan Wilson laugh attack after attack. We lack that a bit.

are you saying we should be drafting funny blokes for the back flanks Scoop ?

Blind Turn

Tiger Superstar
Mar 19, 2014
SCOOP said:
If this is true and it might be, who does it push out? Grigg? McIntosh? Ellis? The midgets have to replace somebody.

I hate to say it but Leysy has spoke about Bolton off half back and I don’t mind it. One of the few things I liked about GWS was watching Zac Williams and Nathan Wilson launch attack after attack. We lack that a bit. If Bolton can do that, I’m all for it. May give Baker a shot.

Didn't enjoy Houli off HBF? Thought he had those two covered #almostnormy

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Blind Turn said:
Didn't enjoy Houli off HBF? Thought he had those two covered #almostnormy

I’ve been down with Bash since Day 1. But his beard isn’t getting any shorter. Need a replacement.

Need a weapon like Wilson & Williams coming through the ranks.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I think we have the structure correct and are extremely lucky that we have a few players that allow us to implement this game style

Backs - Whilst we can control how we structure up foward and its upto the opposition to defend with their players we dont get that luxury for our defence and we 'HAVE' to structure according to their foward structure and player. This is where we are extremely lucky to have Rance,Astbury,Grimes as our tall defenders that can play on the opposition talls and Vlastuin to negate the small whilst also intercepting marks

We were extremely lucky with injuries last season but could easily have 8-10 players on our injury list and this is where these players allow us not to be derailed whilst at the same time putting pressure on the players in the seniors to perform and not be complacent

I can see a few being retired in 2 years time like Houli,Grigg as well as Miles & Lloyd leaving. Townsend i also see as being a stop gap player and will eventually be over taken by Moore/Balta/Miller but will fight like buggery before he gives it up and the player taking his spot will need to see what Towno does and have to do it better.

We will also have players in the next 2 years also asking for trades due to opportunity as well as Free agency kicking in and we wont be able to keep them all.

Wouldnt suprise me to see clubs coming after Astbury,Grimes as free agents soon