Welcome Noah Cumberland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Noah Cumberland

He’s a bit all over the shop. Needs to find his kicking boots fast or he won’t survive especially with a poor aerial game. Mid sized forwards are a dime a dozen & only the exceptional ones make it.
I’d probably pick him again next week but the clock is ticking. He’s got to max these opportunities or will be in the exit lounge.
Needs to try kicking on his right foot
Ridiculous situation last night in last quarter

Cumbo doesn't have to outmark Ridley. Contest and get the ball to ground.
THats the expectation.
Pickett had a similar role. Mansell does it. Castagna did it and helped win premierships.
something Cumbo has to improve on.

FWIW At times we had Ryan forward so we did play 2 talls at stages.

No aint gonna happen. That's easily said and done TD. It's like putting Jake Kelly of Essendon on Tom Lynch tell me how that's gonna end.
No Mansell does not out-mark or bring the ball down against 6ft 5" players. If we are talking similar size granted.

Ryan another who I dearly want to make it just looked out of sorts. Doesn't get to enough contests and had to cover Cumbo who was up against one of Essendon's best defenders. Had Balta played forward he would've been manned up on Ridley, so that should tell you the matchup was way wrong for us playing Cumbo on him.

In the VFL Ryan can out mark and hold onto his attempts but in AFL I dont know why but seems to have cricket bat arms and drops many overhead.

Reactions: 1 users
Athletically he has the tools, but I think his fatal flaw is above the shoulders.

Not sure he has the grey matter required to understand team rules and team system.

I think the bottom line is that Cumbo is not too bright.

Obviously watch games with both eyes closed.
I watched from about 30 Metres from him.

I don't think I've ever seen as insipid a performance.

I feel a bit like I shouldn't say any more. My feeling is that he has serious anxiety and self confidence issues so I hope he finds a healthier workplace in his future.

• Dislike
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Lazy?
Most pressure acts on the ground with 24.
Set up our first goal and then missed 2 he should have kicked, still created the opportunities and one was a great crumb..

Yes is struggling with his composure and confidence but the want of people on here to scalp him with such fervour is just weird
Was a joke about Dusty whatever.

Athletically he has the tools, but I think his fatal flaw is above the shoulders.

Not sure he has the grey matter required to understand team rules and team system.

Correct
Very strange him talking to himself last night and pointing to the ground
Weird character

He probably needs to Pettifer himself every now and then. But not too hard.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't look promising at the moment, but can he improve with experience? I don't know but I would persist to see if he can improve.

DS
Agree. What have we got to lose, playing him every week til the end of the year (unless someone else seriously out-demands his spot).The season’s gone anyway, and we’re short of forwards. We know he’s a unique lad; let’s give him proper, unthreatened time to settle, find his way and build confidence. In any event, we have to make a decision on him at some point, so we need to ensure we’re fully informed. Ditto Samson.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Correct
Very strange him talking to himself last night and pointing to the ground
Weird character

I don't have any real close up knowledge of this guy but remember going to a VFL game at PR in 21 or 22, at 3/4 time he stood slightly apart from the group and seemed really unfocussed and disconnected from them and the coaches. At the time I just thought he might be one of those quiet intense guys who motivates themselves and don't want distractions.

He certainly seems different to most.

No aint gonna happen. That's easily said and done TD. It's like putting Jake Kelly of Essendon on Tom Lynch tell me how that's gonna end.
No Mansell does not out-mark or bring the ball down against 6ft 5" players. If we are talking similar size granted.

Ryan another who I dearly want to make it just looked out of sorts. Doesn't get to enough contests and had to cover Cumbo who was up against one of Essendon's best defenders. Had Balta played forward he would've been manned up on Ridley, so that should tell you the matchup was way wrong for us playing Cumbo on him.

In the VFL Ryan can out mark and hold onto his attempts but in AFL I dont know why but seems to have cricket bat arms and drops many overhead.

I agree with some of this, but it doesn't explain the lack of effort and this is sometimes where pressure acts don't really have any influence. Take Stringers 2nd goal for example, there was some awful play by Dow by the way when we had the ball, he dump kicked forward and Ridley intercepted. Cumbo wasn't on him at this point, but it was a mark on the move and he wouldn't have been able to influence it, so no problems here. Ridley kicks to McGrath and Cumbo stands the mark, ball gets kicked back to Mackay, Cumbo watches McGrath run away from him, ball goes to Ridley, Cumbo sprints to put pressure on the kick (pressure act would be recorded but had no influence on the kick), Ridley runs away from Cumbo who we now see jogging behind him, Ridley gets the ball back and kicks the ball long down the line which Nank misses the punch and then Gresham feeds Stringer.

That was the type of pressure that I saw at the ground and that goal stuck in my mind from the start, watching a "pressure act" that had no influence but then not doing the secondary chasing. I know you love to bag out Mansell, but I know he would have influenced those contests in a more meaningful way.

Personally I think Cumbo thinks he's a 40-50 goal forward and plays like it defensively, when he's only that in theory.

BTW when I say compete with Ridley in the air, I was expecting him to hold his ground in front (and thats all I've said, was to hold front ground, but he was caught out the back way too easily). Ridley took easy marks especially in the 2nd half, because he didn't hold front position. Not saying he can outmark him, but you want him to compete, try and bring it to ground, and if you don't then at least you are goal side to set up the defensive press.

Agree. What have we got to lose, playing him every week til the end of the year (unless someone else seriously out-demands his spot).The season’s gone anyway, and we’re short of forwards. We know he’s a unique lad; let’s give him proper, unthreatened time to settle, find his way and build confidence. In any event, we have to make a decision on him at some point, so we need to ensure we’re fully informed. Ditto Samson.

I don't mind giving him more time in the 1's, but for a guy playing for his future contract, I expected more. If continuing to play him gives him the confidence and the desire to impact more contests then I'm all for it. As I've said before on Cumbo, who doesn't want a 40 goal medium forward, just we don't have 1 of those at the moment, but I'm ok with him getting another go, but his defensive efforts (regardless what the PA stats say - I use my eyes at the ground) were not where they should have been IMO.

I agree with some of this, but it doesn't explain the lack of effort and this is sometimes where pressure acts don't really have any influence. Take Stringers 2nd goal for example, there was some awful play by Dow by the way when we had the ball, he dump kicked forward and Ridley intercepted. Cumbo wasn't on him at this point, but it was a mark on the move and he wouldn't have been able to influence it, so no problems here. Ridley kicks to McGrath and Cumbo stands the mark, ball gets kicked back to Mackay, Cumbo watches McGrath run away from him, ball goes to Ridley, Cumbo sprints to put pressure on the kick (pressure act would be recorded but had no influence on the kick), Ridley runs away from Cumbo who we now see jogging behind him, Ridley gets the ball back and kicks the ball long down the line which Nank misses the punch and then Gresham feeds Stringer.

That was the type of pressure that I saw at the ground and that goal stuck in my mind from the start, watching a "pressure act" that had no influence but then not doing the secondary chasing. I know you love to bag out Mansell, but I know he would have influenced those contests in a more meaningful way.

Personally I think Cumbo thinks he's a 40-50 goal forward and plays like it defensively, when he's only that in theory.

BTW when I say compete with Ridley in the air, I was expecting him to hold his ground in front (and thats all I've said, was to hold front ground, but he was caught out the back way too easily). Ridley took easy marks especially in the 2nd half, because he didn't hold front position. Not saying he can outmark him, but you want him to compete, try and bring it to ground, and if you don't then at least you are goal side to set up the defensive press.

Agree with much of that but ill say it again wrong decision by the coaches to put Cumbo on Ridley.

I also thought the forward line functioned way better (24 scoring shots).

On Mansell its not bagging for the fun of it he literally has been very average and doesn't improve our forward line one bit. 6 goals from 9 games this year.

I also said let's give cumbo more games but if he has for example 4 average games straight then it's back to the resssies rarely seen the Mansell supporters say that about him.

I understand the angst about putting a player of Cumberland's height on a taller defender, but you have to ask yourself - why play a mid sized forward on a taller opponent?

Well, I would do this if I was thinking that the smaller player, our forward, could run off the taller defender to receive a pass.

So, the problem is not so much playing on a taller defender, but is he presenting for a pass, a pass to be received while not just standing there but running towards the ball? Add to this, are the mids and half forwards looking to pass the ball in or bomb it to a contest?

Mid sized forward is one of the hardest roles to play. Cumberland needs to learn to find space and receive passes while running. The players further up the ground need to learn to look for a forward about to lead. Get both of these things right and then we can see if he can play at AFL level.

DS

Cumbo doesn't have to outmark Ridley. Contest and get the ball to ground.
THats the expectation.
Pickett had a similar role. Mansell does it. Castagna did it and helped win premierships.
something Cumbo has to improve on.

FWIW At times we had Ryan forward so we did play 2 talls at stages.
Cumbo at 182cm is supposed to bring the ball to ground against the significantly taller Ridley 195cm
If he gets up there it’ll be chopping arms immediate free to Ridley everytime
Our rucks should’ve been changing from around goal square so we always had a tall in forward line apart from Lefau

Cumbo at 182cm is supposed to bring the ball to ground against the significantly taller Ridley 195cm
If he gets up there it’ll be chopping arms immediate free to Ridley everytime
Our rucks should’ve been changing from around goal square so we always had a tall in forward line apart from Lefau

Standing in front you won't give away chopping the arm frees.

So lemme get this straight.
Its not Cumbo its Livo's fault.
We played Balta back (looked better) and played the 2nd ruck from the bench mostly (more run) but we should have changed the team lineup to suit the most maligned and misunderstood small forward since Mcbean.
Or we should ask the bombers to play midgets and so stacking their backline with tall freaks.
He was ok but Mansell and Pickett part roles that suit the team not the player.
That'd be the expectation for Cumberland too

• Haha