Welcome Noah Cumberland | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Noah Cumberland

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Considering his excellent 2022 when he played #1 or 2 mid, i'm surprised with those talking the end.
He'll be the best change mid we've seen

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
For once in my life, and no doubt it will be the only time, I think Kane Cornes is right in his summation of Cotch playing forward.

With the smaller forward talent on our list, I just don't see it. Cotch switching midfield/HFF with Dusty maybe. But I don't see him operating in the forward 50.

And I don't see him in defence.

He is a midfielder, and while I love Cotch to bits, if he can't make the team in that role this season, I think it might be curtains on one of the great Tiger careers.
Cotch and Dusty will rotate through midfield. I know there's plenty of people supporting Dusty as a full time forward, but I don't think he can be. His 'secret weapon' has always been the switch, and how hard it makes him to man up. If he's down there full time, teams will find the right guy for the job. PLUS Dusty is still a bull. If he's fit (for the first time in a while) he can still do what Dusty does.
Something similar applies for Cotch.
Finally, as has been noted, I'm not sure there's a spot for chimp on the team if he's not doing some decent midfield time, simply because there's not a place for him in the forward line permanently, he's just not a forward. We're not going to leave Cumberland or Jr out of the team for Cotchin, surely?

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Caesar's reports have Cumberland playing as a higher half forward in the match sim.
Despite his ability to find the goals, I think that this is Noah's challenge in order to establish his spot in the side ahead of others.
He must show he has more tricks than just surviving as a mid sized flanker as Dimma has shown he is after players who have flexibility in their roles. Lambert, Castagna, Baker & Edwards are the model. Workers, creators.
He's done really well in the endurance running over preseason & we know he's quick already. Maybe he can have a good influence further up the ground too.
Really looking forward to what he can produce this season..

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Caesar's reports have Cumberland playing as a higher half forward in the match sim.
Despite his ability to find the goals, I think that this is Noah's challenge in order to establish his spot in the side ahead of others.
He must show he has more tricks than just surviving as a mid sized flanker as Dimma has shown he is after players who have flexibility in their roles. Lambert, Castagna, Baker & Edwards are the model. Workers, creators.
He's done really well in the endurance running over preseason & we know he's quick already. Maybe he can have a good influence further up the ground too.
Really looking forward to what he can produce this season..
I don't know about that but it is always better to have players who have flexibility anywhere on the field.

What I do know is that we were a better team when he came into it. He has excellent forward traits that make him a very difficult match up. He is good on the ground and above his head, strong defensively, works hard up the ground and is a terrific kick which means he can have 7-8 possessions and still make an impact. I also like that he is a left footer which means his natural arc turning for goal is the opposite to most and that gives him a split second more time.

Our forward line is much better with him in it and Mo Junior also who to me is equally important.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Considering his excellent 2022 when he played #1 or 2 mid, i'm surprised with those talking the end.
He'll be the best change mid we've seen
Yep, at worst he is our no4 mid. That still gives him plenty of time in the centre square, even before injuries hit. He will play plenty mid, and by the looks of it some forward. Maybe the end will come suddenly, but based on the evidence of 2022, there is no reason to think Cotch wont still be an integral part of our next premiership, and maybe even 2024.

Reactions: 1 user

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Cumba has plenty of tricks. We've seen... release handballs from packs into goal scoring positions/bullet distance handballs into goalscoring positions/excellent upfield vision and smarts/strong overhead marking/deadly finishing from multiple positions/'give it to me' moments to win games/unadulterated DESIRE/more than a sprinkle of class/good pace and power.
When youve got a player with innate goal scoring ability, and goal creation ability, and quite ftankly some freaky *smile*, keep them close to the business. If hes having a dry day, yeah ok, a run at half back won't kill ya. But Cumba knows how to score. Ya cant buy it. Ya cant teach it.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Cumba has plenty of tricks. We've seen... release handballs from packs into goal scoring positions/bullet distance handballs into goalscoring positions/excellent upfield vision and smarts/strong overhead marking/deadly finishing from multiple positions/'give it to me' moments to win games/unadulterated DESIRE/more than a sprinkle of class/good pace and power.
When youve got a player with innate goal scoring ability, and goal creation ability, and quite ftankly some freaky *smile*, keep them close to the business. If hes having a dry day, yeah ok, a run at half back won't kill ya. But Cumba knows how to score. Ya cant buy it. Ya cant teach it.
Great summary. I'm as excited about what he can do in 2023 as any player on our list. Maybe excpept dusty, shai, taranto, hopper.......

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Same as Shai.
Unbelievably good at centre square clearances, but do we want to see him at a defensive stoppage or streaming forward?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'm sure it was a surprised to most that Cumberland was only utilised late in the scratch match v Nth as most would have penciled him into their best 23 for rnd 1.

Wondering why he is seemingly on the outer?

Cotch playing forward?
Clarke & even Campbell showing plenty?

I thought he should a lot when he was on the field too the other day. It's a curious case.
Will he be there?

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
He made an immediate impact, but is there room for him if Dusty is mostly forward? Juddy's also showing more scope up the ground in the Lambert role.

I'd have him in my 23 but that would mean an interchange bench comprising a second ruck (Miller?), a spare forward (Noah) and defender (Broad?), and then just one resting mid. I think we'll have two resting mids/runners (e.g. Judson), plus whoever misses out of Ross/Sonz/Graham as the sub.

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
If he doesn't start against the Dees this weekend then the writing is on the wall and he will have to fight his way back into the team

• Wow

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Under no circumstance we should drop this kid to play Cotchin up forward just to find a place for him Cumberland is to talented.Cotch is a midfield depth.

Reactions: 8 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Needs to play.

Reactions: 2 users

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
Same as Shai.
Unbelievably good at centre square clearances, but do we want to see him at a defensive stoppage or streaming forward?
It's about team balance, and I'll leave that up to the coaches to decide and work out...

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
It's about team balance, and I'll leave that up to the coaches to decide and work out...
sure its up to the coaches, but for my 2 cents i'm agreeing with Tora to play Cumbo close to goals.
Gets maximum value out of what he can do

Reactions: 3 users

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
He’s a natural forward who kicks goals on a regular and reliable basis. He manufactures goals out of half chances, he brings forward line defensive pressure, and has a bit of mongrel in him. He demands a defender, making it harder for the opposition to double team our other forwards. He impacts games more than he has any right to at this stage in his career. I’m not saying he’s an all conquering footy god (yet), but players like him are gold.

Surely he plays from round 1, and he plays in the forward line. Sorry Cotch, you’re awesome, but a natural forward you are not.

Reactions: 5 users