Welcome Oliver Hayes-Brown | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Oliver Hayes-Brown

He trained fully yesterday. Disposal can be iffy and was getting loads of coaching from Ivvy on body positioning. He got badly outpointed once by Ben Miller and was immediately pulled aside by Ivvy and then drilled on how to fend/hold off a defender and the practiced it a couple of times. Looked OK in the ruck exercises that they did.

Reactions: 12 users
We didn't expect him to make it in the first year did we?
Soldo took years of constant posting that he was never going to make it before he made it
It's got nothing to do with making it - just fielding a team, preferably with a ruck over 190cm. :D

And the other 7ft giant is forever injured, of course. Gees, these guys get paid for never doing much at all it seems.
Not doing much?
Spending all preseason pushing his body to extreme fitness and strength. Reaching his physical limits.
And then spending months in rehab.
And then doing it again the next year. And more time in rehab.
Its not a lack of commitment or professionalism.
Gees indeed

Reactions: 2 users
Not doing much?
Spending all preseason pushing his body to extreme fitness and strength. Reaching his physical limits.
And then spending months in rehab.
And then doing it again the next year. And more time in rehab.
Its not a lack of commitment or professionalism.
Gees indeed
Sure, I get all that. It's just that a lot of the players in the modern era - despite all the progress in medical knowledge and fitness training - seem to struggle for much durability. The game has always been really tough and taxing on the body, and was more physically brutal in previous eras.

Perhaps many body types are just unable to sustain the demands these days.

Having seen Colina train in the preseason and see how for he was, in the top 5 in the time trials, I have no doubt he has done a mass of work.
So in reference to your post he has got paid for training and rehab and all the footy meetings and prep. I have zero qualms about that.

No he hasnt played a game.
So he gets paid while he's not playing. Cos he's injured.
Is that the point of your post?

Reactions: 1 user
No ruck available in our seconds tomorrow yet we did not pick the hyphen, is he injured too?
Perhaps the deal is he plays the season for Old Ivanhoe, rather than us pinching him for a week here or there- they are doing us a favour by playing him.

Reactions: 1 users
This guys going to make it. Had an outstanding first VFL game and I rate him better than Ryan. Doesn’t get pushed around , takes the odd mark and will get more once he builds at the level, good running patterns and does a lot of shepherds for his mates and excellent tap work. I was impressed with his practice match earlier in the year and it’s great that he was put away in the Ammo’s to develop and build his game. Hopefully playing AFL next year as he’s advanced faster than I expected.

Reactions: 12 users
Having seen Colina train in the preseason and see how for he was, in the top 5 in the time trials, I have no doubt he has done a mass of work.
So in reference to your post he has got paid for training and rehab and all the footy meetings and prep. I have zero qualms about that.

No he hasnt played a game.
So he gets paid while he's not playing. Cos he's injured.
Is that the point of your post?
I really didn't see this response until now. The whole point of my post was that it seems a really slow burn for everyone watching and waiting for Colina develop or make any progress to show he will ever make it as an AFL player. I never want to see anyone injured and I know Soldo took years to make it.
You can't help wonder whether this guy will ever reach the level. It's like watching paint dry .... Over years. Is his body resilient enough?
But if l'm wrong, fine. That's good for the club and l'd be happy. Maybe the hyphen is going to overtake both he and Ryan over the next year. I just want to see rucks who can play some games to help the team.

Reactions: 2 users