Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

Banks and Bauer will be our first debutants for 2023. Bit odd for a side that has sat comfortably outside the top 8 for most of the season to date.

Anyway, good luck gentlemen.

Reactions: 5 users
Contested work/physicality is his development area so I wouldn’t be expecting too much on that front. But what he’s good at is decision making and kicking.

To that end I just wanna see that cleaness and I also wanna see the team go to him when he’s open and not ignore him because he’s a debutante.

Decent execution and decision making in space. Get it to him and let’s see what he can produce. Not like we couldn’t use a bit of that.

The G should suit him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I remember Richo saying he reckoned Banks will be one of those better players at AFL level than vfl... Here's hoping.

Reactions: 5 users
Another player in that I have no idea where he’s ideally suited in the seniors?
Replaces Short but he’s a very different player.
Think there will be a fair shuffle of the deck going on this Thursday.
Out: Samson, Cumberland, Short, Ralphsmith.
In: Martin, Prestia, Bauer, Banks.
Sub: Pickett.

Reactions: 2 users
Contested work/physicality is his development area so I wouldn’t be expecting too much on that front. But what he’s good at is decision making and kicking.

To that end I just wanna see that cleaness and I also wanna see the team go to him when he’s open and not ignore him because he’s a debutante.

Decent execution and decision making in space. Get it to him and let’s see what he can produce. Not like we couldn’t use a bit of that.

The G should suit him.
We need the skill set. I reckon he’s a winger. Can’t wait to se it. Looking for moments that make you sit up and go ”if he can do that 5 times a half, he can make it.”

Reactions: 4 users
Those clips of players ringing their parents to let them know they’re debuting are fantastic I reckon. Love seeing those clips every year.

Think Banks and Bauer must be good mates. Saw both of them and Steely Green car sharing and getting out of the car to grab a morning coffee together in Swan Street a couple of months ago before a VFL game down at Casey.

Go well lads.

Reactions: 14 users
Wrapt Banks is finally debuting , might take a little longer to have a real impact , however I think we have another 100 gamer on our hands

Wrapt Banks is finally debuting , might take a little longer to have a real impact , however I think we have another 100 gamer on our hands
Not sure he’s ready, think he’s still a ways off, but we might as well give him a go. Hopefully not much to lose by pushing the “go” button a bit early. Never know. Might surprise.

Hopefully Brown stays injury free, produces in the VFL, and we can get some senior experience into him as well by years end.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure he’s ready, think he’s still a ways off, but we might as well give him a go. Hopefully not much to lose by pushing the “go” button a bit early. Never know. Might surprise.

Hopefully Brown stays injury free, produces in the VFL, and we can get some senior experience into him as well by years end.
Yep like the thought of Banks, Brown, Bauer, Clarke, Sonsie and hopefully Gibbo lining up in the later rounds this season

Reactions: 4 users
In the day and age that the majority of players who make the AFL come via the same sterile, boring route of elite private school football factories. Sam Banks gives some hope to the romantics.

This is where he grew up playing, while attending the nearest rural District High School. The Oatlands League is one of the last few remnants of quintessential Tasmanian rural footy, played among tiny farming villages and towns.

The article is a bit out of date, in that Woodsdale did come out of recess and in recent seasons have, once again, been fielding a side in the Oatlands District Football League.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I’m thinking this bloke will have poise, Joel Bowden like I hope but with a solid anti fracking stance.

I’m thinking this bloke will have poise, Joel Bowden like I hope but with a solid anti fracking stance.

Bowden was a star with an elite football brain, good in the air and had an underrated side step.
Banks a good two way runner with good foot skills. Haven’t seen poise yet

Reactions: 1 users
Another Tasmanian player to represent RFC.

Be good to get Nank, Jack, Mansell, Banks and Campbell playing playing together but the planets will be unlikely to align.

Finally gets an opportunity. Been a fair wait.
Big game to debut in & an important one. Hopefully he plays well.
Not expecting a world beating performance obviously. Just looking for him to get involved & show some positive traits.

Reactions: 1 user