Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Does that hold true in the VFL?
I thought he was playing on a wing ? Traditionally that is not a place for stat padding , 18 disposals would normally be 14 kicks etc , that’s one place where you don’t get many give & go cheap stats , more gut running & kicking long

If he has been playing half back completely ignore what I just said ha ha

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I thought he was playing on a wing ? Traditionally that is not a place for stat padding , 18 disposals would normally be 14 kicks etc , that’s one place where you don’t get many give & go cheap stats , more gut running & kicking long

If he has been playing half back completely ignore what I just said ha ha
Has mostly played wing at VFL level which can be a cold, lonely place at times in our setup. From what I’ve seen he looks a classy mover with excellent footskills on both feet. Runs hard but doesn’t appear to be overly quick (not slow either though). Biggest weakness is lack of any discernible inside/contested game although eight contested possessions last week shows he’s at least trying to address it.

I think it’s time to give him a run at AFL level and see what he can do.

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Noticed some comments about him playing HBF. He has played wing all year apart from one game at half back

I saw one game live he played and he spent lots of time making himself available and being ignored and when you read Morris' reports it is the ability to get involved still when that happens that they want him to work on. VFL games are played in worse conditions and tend to be more congested that AFL games which why to me we may find he is actually better at an AFL level. I've heard Richo talk about this as well.

I just like the fact that he can kick

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Noticed some comments about him playing HBF. He has played wing all year apart from one game at half back

I saw one game live he played and he spent lots of time making himself available and being ignored and when you read Morris' reports it is the ability to get involved still when that happens that they want him to work on. VFL games are played in worse conditions and tend to be more congested that AFL games which why to me we may find he is actually better at an AFL level. I've heard Richo talk about this as well.

I just like the fact that he can kick

Very true. 8 contested possessions last week may indicate that it is clicking for him. As you say his wing play and positioning is good, just needs to win more of his own ball if he isn't being used. Increasing that contested possession number is a big part of that.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
What are we waiting for?

K-Mac or Banks on a wing.

Make the call Mini. Needs to happen.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Must be very very close to a debut.

Talking Tigers podcast have pencilled him in for a few weeks now. Surely they have some sort of Intel.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Picture of Banks on RFC website, first name mentioned......stop FARCING AROUND and debut the kid!!!

1686713694565.png

Reactions: 4 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Also: "He's worked really hard at it (contested footy). He's going to be a really good player for years to come for the Richmond Football Club. It's great to see him taking steps forward at the moment at this level, hopefully you guys don't get to see him play at this level for too much longer."

Sounds like he's not far off a debut.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Also: "He's worked really hard at it (contested footy). He's going to be a really good player for years to come for the Richmond Football Club. It's great to see him taking steps forward at the moment at this level, hopefully you guys don't get to see him play at this level for too much longer."

Sounds like he's not far off a debut.
He was our only AFL listed player who put in 4 quarters. Will play better at senior level I suspect.
Sonsie put in a terrific 2nd quarter after a monumental spray from Morris ( directed at the whole team but he copped the brunt of the finger pointing )
Tresize was good at times.
The rest……….meh

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
You are right but I reckon we restructure slightly unless they play Bauer or Bradkte which I cant see happening.

Banks is ready.

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
He's still quite slight, what's his 1 on 1 ball winning ability like and ability to halve contests? Capsy is frustrating at times but he plays his role well.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
He's still quite slight, what's his 1 on 1 ball winning ability like and ability to halve contests? Capsy is frustrating at times but he plays his role well.
He’s an outside type. Is an excellent kick on both feet and covers the ground well but is not overly quick but not slow either. Runs to good places but is underutilized by teammates at VFL level. Will put his head over the ball and go when it’s his turn but it’s not a strength so don’t expect much there. If you are looking for a comparison I’d say Brandon Ellis with a smaller tank but better footskills.

Personally, my concern with him is he’s yet to produce a standout performance at VFL level. Usually good but never great. How can you expect to compete at AFL level if you can’t dominate VFL level, at least occasionally?

Anyway, hope he gets a run.

Reactions: 5 users

Tigga94

Tiger Rookie
Apr 2, 2023
He’s an outside type. Is an excellent kick on both feet and covers the ground well but is not overly quick but not slow either. Runs to good places but is underutilized by teammates at VFL level. Will put his head over the ball and go when it’s his turn but it’s not a strength so don’t expect much there. If you are looking for a comparison I’d say Brandon Ellis with a smaller tank but better footskills.

Personally, my concern with him is he’s yet to produce a standout performance at VFL level. Usually good but never great. How can you expect to compete at AFL level if you can’t dominate VFL level, at least occasionally?

Not many player’s dominate a wing roll.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I'm hoping the reason why he hasn't blown away a game yet at VFL level is for 1 of the reasons you state, They've unterutilised the wing.

The game against the Giants 2 weeks ago for example, I think he had 1 disposal to quarter time, because both teams had pretty much exclusively held all play down the 1 wing. Its where AFL makes a difference and why for wing roles they are looking more for running patterns and disposal than anything else, and I think he has shown he can run intelligent running patterns that will hopefully be utilised more at AFL level, and he has consistently shown that he is a very good kick of the footy.