Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Did a couple of good things when he came on but was lucky he didn't cost us the game too. The Gulden goal with two minutes to go came from a Sydney kick out. Gulden got to the forward pocket all on his own as Banks was crossing the 50 going at about 70%. He was level with Nank. Fat side winger. Had to bust a gut to get down there. And was very lucky not to be pinged when he dived on it in the last minute. Mansell probably saved him there.

A fair bit to work on for Sam.
How he wasnt pinged! Big big let off

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Some calling for Banks to be dropped?

Sat on the pine for two hours.
Subbed on in a pressure cooker with less than five minutes to go.

Had five disposals 3 kicks & 2 handballs at 80%, 2 contested.
2 intercepts.
1 mark.
1 tackle.
6 pressure acts.

Halved a crucial play.

This is what I would hope for from an experienced subbed player (Picket, McIntosh) not a young guy not even sure if he deserves to be there yet.

By comparison, Sonsie had 9 possessions for the entire game, with none in the whole last quarter.
Not bagging Sonsie, just asking what more would you expect Banks to contribute?

Reactions: 8 users

Rod

Tiger Superstar
Aug 3, 2003
Bruswick West
How he wasnt pinged! Big big let off
Mansell definitely saved him…. He needs to keep his feet and I’m sure he’ll get that feedback and work hard to remedy. I hope it’s just inexperience and not a lack of pace that you so often see in ageing players when they too readily go to ground. I’m not writing him off… still developing.

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Apparently he's handsome. So Spunk might be a good nickname. Spunk Banks.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Finally Banks will be the Richmond player who plays 100+ and produces many top 10 father/son picks.

Sperm Banks
Nickname should be Vanilla.
You just don’t know he’s playing.
Checked his stats second quarter and he had had it a few times but being at the ground barely noticed him most of the game. Lock down job on Langdon maybe.. Cramped in 3rd

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Nickname should be Vanilla.
You just don’t know he’s playing.
Checked his stats second quarter and he had had it a few times but being at the ground barely noticed him most of the game. Lock down job on Langdon maybe.. Cramped in 3rd
I was at the ground and I noticed him. Very good first half.

Langdon has his critics but he has a great tank and runs the wings really hard. Banksy faded as the more seasoned player kept going.

Reactions: 2 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
I was at the ground and I noticed him. Very good first half.

Langdon has his critics but he has a great tank and runs the wings really hard. Banksy faded as the more seasoned player kept going.
Again fitness being used as an excuse for fading, recruited as a running player he has been in system for 3 years?
Meehan? Sonz also questioned re capability of playing mid whole game can he run it out?
Meehan criticism for this don’t know.
I think he should grow his hair like Ralphsmith or dye it blonde anyway just for me

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Again fitness being used as an excuse for fading, recruited as a running player he has been in system for 3 years?
Meehan? Sons also questioned re capability of playing mid whole game can he run it out?
Meehan criticism for this don’t know.
I think he should grow his hair like Ralphsmith or dye it blonde anyway just for me
Don't know the reason but i think we need to remember that the wingers we have had in recent years in Pickett and McIntosh were mature players. Macca was in his 3rd year before he even got a game. BEllis before them was a running machine.

Banks clearly needs to improve his tank, no doubt. Langdon outran him in the end so he will know that is the level he needs to get to.

There is also the point that after halftime we got beaten in the clearances and didn't control the ball as much, especially when Hopper went off. That hurts the wingers and it has been a knock on Banks as well, that he needs to find a way of getting involved when we don't control the football.

Just get games into him.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Most people saw his game differently to me so I must be wrong but anyway he was very weak in a marking contest to a nicely delivered ball to him in the forward line and shortly after that did he not shirk a contest running back in defence? allowing the Dees player to mark, hard for me to tell as i were in the pocket at the other end of the ground.
Also saw him easily pushed off or ran over the ball in a contest near the boundary.
Then there was when he was about 60 meters out and rather than spotting up someone he did a 50 meter kick inside the square to nobody, (or nobody of consequence, we had midgets there), not great decision making there.

Reactions: 4 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Most people saw his game differently to me so I must be wrong but anyway he was very weak in a marking contest to a nicely delivered ball to him in the forward line and shortly after that did he not shirk a contest running back in defence? allowing the Dees player to mark, hard for me to tell as i were in the pocket at the other end of the ground.
Also saw him easily pushed off or ran over the ball in a contest near the boundary.
Then there was when he was about 60 meters out and rather than spotting up someone he did a 50 meter kick inside the square to nobody, (or nobody of consequence, we had midgets there), not great decision making there.
The one you refer to on the boundary Caeser was very near us and he wasn't pushed off the ball he was clearly held and dragged back off the ball. The Richmond supporters around us were not happy because it was an obvious free kick

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
The one you refer to on the boundary Caeser was very near us and he wasn't pushed off the ball he was clearly held and dragged back off the ball. The Richmond supporters around us were not happy because it was an obvious free kick
Fair enough, that is what happens when I get stuck in the pocket you start guessing what happened further up the ground, (i couldn't go back and watch the replay as i delete my recording when we lose ;) ).

Reactions: 1 user