Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Who is sensitive and being very defensive haha. You said Banks could be of significant value. Hardly a comment you would make if you thought Clarke had stuffed the pick up back at draft time.

Ok. So what you’re saying is that instead of posting a measured assessment of what Banks is good at, could help with, but also a number of things he will need to work on and for people to be aware of, I should have just bagged the *smile* out of him and Clarke without him playing a single game ?

Hah hah hah that’s hilarious because not only did I re-enforce those those gaps and concerns very early in the piece, but if I had of gone down the route that you seem to be suggesting I should have, you I am sorry to say are the quintessential poster that would have lost it. “You can’t be serious you’re bagging Clarke and a kid out before he’s even set foot in the club wha wha wha…”

Maybe a tad hypocritical ?

If you couldn’t read into my approach at the time, and then subsequent many times thereafter as well, that’s your problem TT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
well they're not gonna say

'it turns out he doesn't posses the ability to be of any use to our football club'

are they?
They singled him out when asked which youngster they were most excited about.
Don’t you think that strange considering his body of work to date?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
They singled him out when asked which youngster they were most excited about.
Don’t you think that strange considering his body of work to date?

yes.

they probably identified its something in his head holding him back I'd say.

I reckon with junior talent, you have about a dozen kids a year who are a level above (often very strange people - watch Will Ashcrofts instagram fitness channel for instance, Nick Daicos probably owns 3 pubs, and still lives at home)

then 13-200 there's not much to separate them or predict how they will respond in a pro environment.

and its largely determined above the shoulders.

(I reckon Allir Allir is a textbook example of a player who can't handle pressure. every final he plays, hes dreadful. And finds himself 1:1 with Dusty, and he drops a chest mark.

He gets by in H&A on pure athleticism - Sydney must have a good shrink I reckon)

Young Sam probably gets by at training and lower levels on ability, he probably works his arse off and does extras and seeks advice etc etc, and so appears going places,

but hasn't got the (ticker, head, nerve, edge, killer instinct, mongrel, any number of things) to impact at the top level.

maybe he suffers anxiety? that *smile* can stop a train. almost impossible to concentrate on a role, while your mind is trying to protect you from certain death so you can procreate.

sometimes we underestimate the size of the jump between U18's and seniors, then firsts and seconds.

and psychology is hard to measure.

If Sam doesn't make it, so be it. He'll have good fun and make some money at state level or in the bush and do other stuff. him and his family gave it a real crack, and got way further than most.

and in terms of psychology, he captained every side he ever played in, so the club would have thought he was solid,

but he's probably just hit some kind of ceiling? he might be able to work through it, but its not looking likely

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Feb 25, 2007
3 pressure acts for the game..

By comparison Dow had 20.

What was Sam doing out there?

Oldie one of the main areas that he has been asked to work on is winning his own footy/contested possessions. One year on he still wants to play bruise-free footy.
We all want the kids to make it but unfortunately, some don't. He doesn't possess anything that stands out, not a great kick, not a great mark, not hard at the contest, not overly fast but he speaks well.

I don't think he'll make it a depth player or straight-out VFL player.

Not sure why we picked him up at pick 29, much rather Soligno of Crows who went pick 36, even Curtis id take over him who went to the Kangas at pick 35

Reactions: 4 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I think it telling that Banks played 31 games in the VFL before making his AFL debut. Clubs don’t leave their kids in the B-league for that long unless there is something seriously wrong with their game.

Like I keep saying, good players generally show it early and often.

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
This is the year that we (and far more importantly) the coaching group find out about a lot of these young players.

I certainly wouldn’t be writing anyone off at this stage including Sam.

Let’s just see how the year progresses and how he reacts to a quiet game

Reactions: 5 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Oldie one of the main areas that he has been asked to work on is winning his own footy/contested possessions. One year on he still wants to play bruise-free footy.
We all want the kids to make it but unfortunately, some don't. He doesn't possess anything that stands out, not a great kick, not a great mark, not hard at the contest, not overly fast but he speaks well.

I don't think he'll make it a depth player or straight-out VFL player.

Not sure why we picked him up at pick 29, much rather Soligno of Crows who went pick 36, even Curtis id take over him who went to the Kangas at pick 35
Warner, Roberts, Bazzo, Howes, Jones ? Bergman ? Too early to say definitively with those guys but they seem to have shown a bit early doors. Thought Roberts was a bit slow but he’s off to a decent start this year.

Note: I understand we were keen on Bergman.

Last edited:

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
I wonder how much of it is older players who just haven't got the fight anymore. They want to win, and put in 85-90%, but it's not enough when things start going against us. Can't be all the young kids, who you'd expect would be hungry. What's our onfield leadership like amongst the players?
Reckon it might be a mix of things G. Older players who are frustrated that the younger players are not levelling up, younger players who feel they have not been given the right opportunity and so feel confused about whether they actually belong, players adjusting to different team dynamics/strategies which are still being worked on etc..! Nick's naive comments are insightful as to what might be going on...

Things take time to click. However, you are correct, leadership (both on and off) is crucial.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Going by some snippets of him on our website he seems to have some leadership traits and charisma and is most likely popular with the playing group and coaching staff, and is probably being afforded games as a result. At a guess, the opposite may be true for someone like Cumberland.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Ok. So what you’re saying is that instead of posting a measured assessment of what Banks is good at, could help with, but also a number of things he will need to work on and for people to be aware of, I should have just bagged the *smile* out of him and Clarke without him playing a single game ?
Works for some.

But I think it is also reasonable to think a draftee has potential, and then reassess after a few years on the list.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I'd say he doesn't possess the capacity to perform the role.
Some astute posters have spent years defending the important role our wingers played in our success, even when their stats didnt look great. A lot positioning and running to where the ball isnt.

It is possible Banks is trying to do that. and struggling cos it is difficult to run away from the ball- even a very smart footballer like Shaun Grigg found that balance hard at times-, and also difficult to do the amount of running that is required for that role.
Or he could just be no good.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
This is the year that we (and far more importantly) the coaching group find out about a lot of these young players.

I certainly wouldn’t be writing anyone off at this stage including Sam.

Let’s just see how the year progresses and how he reacts to a quiet game
He was also very poor in the Suns game.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Some astute posters have spent years defending the important role our wingers played in our success, even when their stats didnt look great. A lot positioning and running to where the ball isnt.

It is possible Banks is trying to do that. and struggling cos it is difficult to run away from the ball- even a very smart footballer like Shaun Grigg found that balance hard at times-, and also difficult to do the amount of running that is required for that role.
Or he could just be no good.

yeah I think thats almost certainly a big part of this puzzle.

Ive been arguably Kmac and Marlions biggest fans over their time (I think im astute about half the time?)

ive also had skin in the game with a elite juniors who were told to do that role

and going from the junior star mid getting all the kudos,

to running 14km, away from the play to the middle of nowhere all day, pick\ing up other people's man, and everyone including yourself asking why your getting single figure possessions

is phenomenally tough.

the coaching phrases 'hold your width' and 'clear out' are like being told by the hot girl/boy 'lets just be good friends'

But I think if you're good enough, you'll deal with it, progress, and excel.

yes, Sam probably needS more time to progress and ideally excel,

and im ok with that at this point in time.

give him Marlion's wing for 6 weeks and stick Marlion in the guts as Macca and Sonz's personal bodyguard

my concern is, he's probably also being instructed to 'play to your strengths'

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The wing is a beeatch of a position to be fair. It’s much better than it used to be, but I used to hate playing there. Some people liked it. I didn’t. Coaches yelling at you to get down back, yelling at you stay on the wing doing nothing waiting for the clearance, don’t clog the forward line up, get off your man, get on your man, yadda yadda. Half the time you felt quarantined to a 30msq space. Endless instructions.

Nowadays it’s different. Mega running up and down not just the boundary side of the ground but up and down the corridor, deep into defence, connect deep into the forward line. 14klm plus.

Still hard to make the right decisions though. Very easy to get caught out.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The wing is a beeatch of a position to be fair. It’s much better than it used to be, but I used to hate playing there. Some people liked it. I didn’t. Coaches yelling at you to get down back, yelling at you stay on the wing doing nothing waiting for the clearance, don’t clog the forward line up, get off your man, get on your man, yadda yadda. Half the time you felt quarantined to a 30msq space. Endless instructions.

Nowadays it’s different. Mega running up and down not just the boundary side of the ground but up and down the corridor, deep into defence, connect deep into the forward line. 14klm plus.

Still hard to make the right decisions though. Very easy to get caught out.

there's much less Glamour than in Brian Wood's day too.

Isaac Smith only managed to make it glamorous because hes a bit of a *smile*

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
there's much less Glamour than in Brian Wood's day too.

Isaac Smith only managed to make it glamorous because hes a bit of a *smile*
Loved B Woody as a kid. In his day if you had 12 kicks and a couple of handballs, and 1 speccy, you’d had a great game.

Now, you need 18-20 kicks minimum, 4-5 handballs, 5 tackles, 14klms of running, a goal or two and most importantly….no mistakes.

It is a tough position, to be fair.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Loved Woody. In his day if you had 12 kicks and a couple of handballs, and 1 speccy, you’d had a great game.

Now, you need 18-20 kicks minimum, 4-5 handballs, 5 tackles, 14klms of running, a goal or two and most importantly….no mistakes.

It is a tough position, to be fair.
We ain't getting that out of ours. Even in the flag years. What I'd give for some silk on the outside. After seeing the running stats, I'm hopeful Seth Campbell can tack one and maybe the club thinks Banks can be the other. Banks has the skills bit but I don't see enough involvement.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
We ain't getting that out of ours. Even in the flag years. What I'd give for some silk on the outside. After seeing the running stats, I'm hopeful Seth Campbell can tack one and maybe the club thinks Banks can be the other. Banks has the skills bit but I don't see enough involvement.

I too hope we're gonna go a bit silky,

but our dynasty was wrapped in flannel.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah probably a bit excessive.

What does Langdon average ? He’s around 20 disposals, 3 tackles, 10-15 goals a year I think.

Anyway, you get my point. It’s a tough role.