Welcome Sam Banks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Banks

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Yeah probably a bit excessive.

What does Langdon average ? He’s around 20 disposals, 3 tackles, 10-15 goals a year I think.

Anyway, you get my point. It’s a tough role.
Yep Langdon is your baseline. Ideally, a better kick but he does it. Prime Brandon Ellis is what you want.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Only have to look at the All Aus teams.

No-one that actually plays wing is named there. It's midfielders that get pushed out and named.

Cos like mentioned, even the best wings don't have the offensive impact, and thus get the plaudits of other roles.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Only have to look at the All Aus teams.

No-one that actually plays wing is named there. It's midfielders that get pushed out and named.

Cos like mentioned, even the best wings don't have the offensive impact, and thus get the plaudits of other roles.
Wings are essentially part of your defensive setup. They are there to run up and down the ground all day. Allow (or try to anyway) the switch when you have the ball in defence and try and stop the oppostion doing the same.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The wings of the MCG should be named the McIntosh wing and the Pickett Wing IMO

if it was up to me, Id have the Macintosh wing and The Pickett Wing on the Gabba as well

:cool:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah probably a bit excessive.

What does Langdon average ? He’s around 20 disposals, 3 tackles, 10-15 goals a year I think.

Anyway, you get my point. It’s a tough role.
Kmac has kicked 9 a few times.

He has 1 every 3 gamnes career wise. But he's played more in the defensive half than forward?

Andfrew Gaff kicked 12 goals one year. He has 83 from 276 games - 0.300 (K-Mac has 48 from 171 - 0.281).

The two better wings of the past 5 years are Hill & Sidebum IMO.

Brad Hill - 97 from 235 - 0.413
Steele Sidebum - 190 from 312 - 0.609

They link well, use the ball well. Not as good defensively (or at shoving) as K-mac but more effective overall.

• Love

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Ok. So what you’re saying is that instead of posting a measured assessment of what Banks is good at, could help with, but also a number of things he will need to work on and for people to be aware of, I should have just bagged the *smile* out of him and Clarke without him playing a single game ?

Hah hah hah that’s hilarious because not only did I re-enforce those those gaps and concerns very early in the piece, but if I had of gone down the route that you seem to be suggesting I should have, you I am sorry to say are the quintessential poster that would have lost it. “You can’t be serious you’re bagging Clarke and a kid out before he’s even set foot in the club wha wha wha…”

Maybe a tad hypocritical ?

If you couldn’t read into my approach at the time, and then subsequent many times thereafter as well, that’s your problem TT.
You should be a politician, certainly say a lot but keep avoiding my actual question. At draft time did you say he was a good pick or not ? Your comments on 21 November appear to say he was but now you are saying I had to read this and that into it. Everything after that is irrelevant as recruiters don’t get the chance to change their mind. He is either on the list or he isn’t. So just a simple yes or no answer please without all your spin.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You should be a politician, certainly say a lot but keep avoiding my actual question. At draft time did you say he was a good pick or not ? Your comments on 21 November appear to say he was but now you are saying I had to read this and that into it. Everything after that is irrelevant as recruiters don’t get the chance to change their mind. He is either on the list or he isn’t. So just a simple yes or no answer please without all your spin.
You’ve clearly got a comprehension problem. Where did I say he was a good pick ? “Appear to say”. Hah hah hah. Who’s the politician ?

As I said, I think I was respectfully (for sensitive people like you) pretty clear about the pros and cons of Banks at Draft time. Furthermore, I’ve doubled down on those cons several times since, including just after the Draft.

Now ….if you can’t get all of that, that’s your problem, not mine.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Kmac has kicked 9 a few times.

He has 1 every 3 gamnes career wise. But he's played more in the defensive half than forward?
Kmac has career-wise 337 rebound 50s and 467 inside 50s. Below are 3 of the top wingmen of recent past and by this clearly it shows KMac does play a more defensive role as does Langdon and therefore likely to score less goals.

Sidebottom 510 971
I Smith 692 1118
Langdon 359 465

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Watching Banks in the replay I thought he really struggled position-wise. Ran a lot of circles without really influencing the play. Is he a wingman? I thought he was being groomed as a backman.

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
I remember watching Jack Ross about 2 years ago, early in his wing days and seeing how he struggled with "knowing when to go and when to hold his width". Jack isn't timid but at times he looked like a deer in the headlights in that game as he went when ho should have held his width and held back when he had to go.

I saw the same in Sam on Sunday. There was one glaring one in the first half where he started going and then held off to get back to his man. I think (believe) that Sam has some AFL attributes but also struggles with some. His workrate is normally very good.

There is one player I think might go past him quickly and that is Kaleb Smith. Similar workrate but with potentially a harder edge.

Reactions: 6 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I remember watching Jack Ross about 2 years ago, early in his wing days and seeing how he struggled with "knowing when to go and when to hold his width". Jack isn't timid but at times he looked like a deer in the headlights in that game as he went when ho should have held his width and held back when he had to go.

I saw the same in Sam on Sunday. There was one glaring one in the first half where he started going and then held off to get back to his man. I think (believe) that Sam has some AFL attributes but also struggles with some. His workrate is normally very good.

There is one player I think might go past him quickly and that is Kaleb Smith. Similar workrate but with potentially a harder edge.

Kaleb has another advantage over Banks, he is WAY!!!! quicker, is it just me or does Banks's pace look average?

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
They singled him out when asked which youngster they were most excited about.
Don’t you think that strange considering his body of work to date?
If that was at Club80 I’m pretty certain they were talking about Kaleb Smith?

Reactions: 1 users

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
You’ve clearly got a comprehension problem. Where did I say he was a good pick ? “Appear to say”. Hah hah hah. Who’s the politician ?

As I said, I think I was respectfully (for sensitive people like you) pretty clear about the pros and cons of Banks at Draft time. Furthermore, I’ve doubled down on those cons several times since, including just after the Draft.

Now ….if you can’t get all of that, that’s your problem, not mine.
I was asking you if he was a good pick at draft time, yes or no remember. Don’t bother replying I have lost any respect I had for your opinions anyway.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I was asking you if he was a good pick at draft time, yes or no remember. Don’t bother replying I have lost any respect I had for your opinions anyway.
Well if never said that he was a good draft pick at the time - and never since either - and a whole bunch of posts about concerns both around the time and then beyond - then that’d most likely be your answer wouldn’t it ! ?

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
If that was at Club80 I’m pretty certain they were talking about Kaleb Smith?
No.
It was an article from a journalist. Said the club pointed to Banks as a player of the future and that they were extremely excited about what he can develop into.

Speaking of Kaleb Smith, he was a guest at Club 80 tonight.
Fantastic character and very well spoken. Also a part time DJ looking for gigs for those interested in music entertainment

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Did a couple of good things when he came on but was lucky he didn't cost us the game too. The Gulden goal with two minutes to go came from a Sydney kick out. Gulden got to the forward pocket all on his own as Banks was crossing the 50 going at about 70%. He was level with Nank. Fat side winger. Had to bust a gut to get down there. And was very lucky not to be pinged when he dived on it in the last minute. Mansell probably saved him there.

A fair bit to work on for Sam.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Did a couple of good things when he came on but was lucky he didn't cost us the game too. The Gulden goal with two minutes to go came from a Sydney kick out. Gulden got to the forward pocket all on his own as Banks was crossing the 50 going at about 70%. He was level with Nank. Fat side winger. Had to bust a gut to get down there. And was very lucky not to be pinged when he dived on it in the last minute. Mansell probably saved him there.

A fair bit to work on for Sam.
This why Macintosh is loved by coaches and supporters somehow want him delisted.