Welcome Sam Naismith | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome Sam Naismith

But the reason he's only got 30,000km on the clock is that he runs more like an early 70's model Pommie bike. Every time you turn the motor over n it finally looks like getting some good fun ride time happening there's another break down.
It wasn't the engine, it was the axle.

Reactions: 1 users
Dominating ruck duels raises our top 4 chances considerably. Importantly it empowers our midfield to run to positions they can have some confidence the ball is going. Our mids have looked slow in part because Nank and others have fought hard but are more often beaten in ruck contests.
Sam could really change everything.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Its not just ruckwork.
As i said in the first week of training, he is a footballer.
He has the footballer skills and a footballer brain.
He'll be good this year

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Clear cut second ruck after one preseason. Looking quite the pickup.

But the reason he's only got 30,000km on the clock is that he runs more like an early 70's model Pommie bike. Every time you turn the motor over n it finally looks like getting some good fun ride time happening there's another break down.

The cars they made were just as bad.

On Naismith, get him in the team, Nank has struggled against the really tall rucks, we need someone who can compete better with them at centre bounces.

DS

Reactions: 4 users
Lots of go and not much whoa? Can't see the problem ;)
From memory the whoa was pretty much reasonable for that era, it was the going around corners n windy bits that could get extremely hairy in the old Greek Mercedes way back then, tad light in the arse end n care needed to be taken.

Reactions: 1 user
If Nanks is quiet on the training front as has been reported then we may have made a masterstroke in signing on Sam as he he more than capable of giving us an edge in the ruck. He doesn't seem a bloke you want to mess with on the field of play

Not sure why people think we cant play 2 rucks with 4 on the bench and a sub

Nank has a good set of mitts and could bring the ball to ground or mark in the goal square allowing Lynch/Kosi some space

We have played Soldo/Nank combo when available often enough

Nank has a good set of mitts and could bring the ball to ground or mark in the goal square allowing Lynch/Kosi some space

I was of the understanding that the club was looking to play 3x tall forwards and have Kozi/Balta play second ruck… but I do like Naismith against the monsters

Will come down to Naismith Vs Kozi when Lynch returns.

Can't play both.

Will come down to Naismith Vs Kozi when Lynch returns.

Can't play both.
Yep. Assuming Nank is fit.

Then it probably comes down to whether Kosi is effective up forward. If he is then there will be no stopping our 3 headed monster, Nank can ruck 80% of the game and Balta can run free around the ground for the other 20%.
If Kosi cant get a kick then maybe we go with the 2 rucks, and have them play predominantly off the bench.

The idea that Nank can play forward effectively has been shown to be wrong numerous times. 5 mins a game is fine. 25 minutes is not.

Reactions: 2 users
Richmond skipper provides latest on playing chances for season opener

The veteran ruckman won’t feature in this week’s practice match against the reigning premiers.

Mitch Keating
zerohanger.com
February 26, 2024

Richmond captain Toby Nankervis is no certainty of lining up for the Tigers' Opening Round clash with Gold Coast as he continues to nurse a foot issue.

Nankervis won't feature in Tuesday's Charity Shield practice match against Collingwood on Tuesday and will instead take part in a separate training session that will help give the veteran ruckman a stronger indication of his playing chances for next week.

The 29-year-old is currently going from session to session in his rehabilitation to build his fitness levels and overcome the ailment - one that has now opened the door for new recruit and ex-Swan Sam Naismith to earn his debut in the yellow and black.

Naismith has played just two games at AFL level since the end of the 2017 season, enduring multiple knee reconstructions and a delisting at Sydney to fall out of the top flight before earning a lifeline over the off-season at Punt Road.

Viewed as the second-string ruckman for new coach Adem Yze, Naismith has been backed to take his chance and potentially hold it by the man he's likely to replace.

"He's had a great summer," Nankervis said on Monday.

"He's done most of the work so, we're in a great spot in that department. (If he plays) I'll be rapt for Sam, he's a great person and he's had some hardship, but he's been playing some great footy as well.

"I wasn't really surprised at all (by Naismith's resilience) to be honest because I know what type of person he is. He's very determined, very competitive and he wants to play AFL footy. That's that's the reality of it, he's not here to play VFL footy so he's doing whatever he can."

• Love