Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Robertson or Rivers.
Why do I suddenly feel ill?
It’s interesting that Melbourne, who have had a few years of outstanding drafting, had those two in the mix but no mention of Dow at all. We certainly have our value system.

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Robertson can't kick either. Averaged 13.1 disposals to Dow's 13.2. Eight touches last night. I'm not sure we missed out on Michael Voss.

Rivers is a half-back-flanker. A good one, for sure. But not an area of need for us.

Dow has some great traits and some weaknesses, hence he went at pick 21. A summer in the gym and not having his appendix removed will help. I have high hopes.
Sixteen games in a finals side versus 5 games and three games when the season was over , vastly different years. The raw number doesn’t level it out.

Still a bit to play out with this one. Let’s re-visit this one in 12 months time.

Yep it’s a wait and see. I’m just looking at how Melbourne have drafted and I found the Dow pick really interesting when put through the lens of other clubs.

Last edited:

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It’s interesting that Melbourne, who have had a few years of outstanding drafting, had those two in the mix but no mention of Dow at all. We certainly have our value system.
we do.

I reckon if we go back and look at the phantom drafts and rankings both those boys were ranked ahead of Dow, Robertson especially who as I recall was in top 10 contention.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Phantom drafts, I believe, are usually done by a bunch of people who are fairly clueless overall about the kids.
They tend to get Intel about who is going to be drafted by what clubs and publish that. It's not based a lot of the time on actual talent, but gossip.
When a club deliberately leaks something as a smokescreen they get thrown out. There's a couple of journos who go watch a lot of u18 footy, but the rest are parasites. The result is Phantoms based off player managers angling to get their kids higher, parents and friends creating noise, and collective thinking.

Reactions: 7 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Sixteen games in a finals side versus 5 games and three games when the season was over , vastly different years. The raw number doesn’t level it out.
True. But only one of them had his appendix out too.

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Robertson can't kick either. Averaged 13.1 disposals to Dow's 13.2. Eight touches last night. I'm not sure we missed out on Michael Voss.

Rivers is a half-back-flanker. A good one, for sure. But not an area of need for us.

Dow has some great traits and some weaknesses, hence he went at pick 21. A summer in the gym and not having his appendix removed will help. I have high hopes.

Agree, I've seen plenty on Dow that I like.

Rivers is a good player, I'm not sold on Robertson either. The Lions midfield is one of their strengths but also one of their biggest weaknesses.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Agree, I've seen plenty on Dow that I like.

Rivers is a good player, I'm not sold on Robertson either. The Lions midfield is one of their strengths but also one of their biggest weaknesses.
So if one of their strengths is a weakness does that mean their weaknesses are very weak?

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I'd be Interested in seeing all those who wrote off Edwards at a similar point in his career.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

Robertson did alright. Was playing a role, especially in the 2nd half as a negating defensive mid. Did alright but a number of times didn't get his body positioning right.
Still a kid and playing as a junior

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Dow, Ralphsmith and RCD should make a pact to give their preseason 150% and drive each other.
These 3 are critical in the future development of our team.
Boxing, weight training and employing a running coach would do all 3 wonders.
Not sure how he fits into this group but Sydney would benefit even more

• Love

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

This is interesting viewing. At the end of the clip the Dees try and trade up with Richmond. They want Dev Robertson. They have us taking Trent Rivers. They call and offer a deal, we aren’t interested. We tell them we’ve been offered 1st round picks for it. We don’t take that and still take Dow. It’s an incredible insight.
I watched the second part and their 2020 vid. Taylor's a smart operator, so's Lamb.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
W

This is interesting viewing. At the end of the clip the Dees try and trade up with Richmond. They want Dev Robertson. They have us taking Trent Rivers. They call and offer a deal, we aren’t interested. We tell them we’ve been offered 1st round picks for it. We don’t take that and still take Dow. It’s an incredible insight.
What's this shiit?
They haven't won anything and after 1 decent draft they are showing it to the public.
Where's the Scully draft?
Where's the Watts draft?
Where's the Jimmy Toompas draft?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Because drafting has always been our achilles heal and lets not get carried away with Melbourne, all of a sudden they are the recruiting kings.
give me break

• Haha

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Dow, Ralphsmith and RCD should make a pact to give their preseason 150% and drive each other.
These 3 are critical in the future development of our team.
Boxing, weight training and employing a running coach would do all 3 wonders.
Not sure how he fits into this group but Sydney would benefit even more
Dow is the only one that i can see will end playing 200 games.
Moves well and the more preseasons the better he will become

• Love

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Had to go to page 12 to find the thread for our named first rover. (Incidentally, @Mr T. "Dow" is deemed too short a search term, which makes it tough when it's his name.)

Hope he's fit and ready to go and gets a good run at it.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Hope he puts in a solid performance today.
As Smokin' suggests, it would be good to see him get a run of games.
Let's see what some of these boys have got to offer and given the chance to show their wares.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I’m actually excited to see him and Hugo dig in today. Hope they play their roles and dig deep

Reactions: 3 users