Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

Perhaps it is a knock on Hardwick that he hasn't played Short in the middle more often and/or earlier.
Before 2021 every line worked,and 2022-2021 we have had huge defensive injuries with Vlas,houli, balta, broad, Asbury,all missing considerable amount of games

Drafted as a kid and finally got to see the an at work there. Move Cotchin in defence and shorty here.

We should look at playing Cotchin and Lambert changing off the Bench. They can both go at 100% for a half each.

Reactions: 3 users
Stoppage work a major weakness for him.
Yeah but. You know what, nothing wrong with an outside mid that hovers around the packs that posses kicking skills like shorty. The trick will be the other mids will need to get in there and shovel it out to him.

Reactions: 7 users
No mate, this plot twist is one that I didn’t see coming. It’s a Hardwick masterstroke.

Short is carving out a fascinating CV. Great story.
Hardwick gave the credit to Mcwalter

Reactions: 1 users
not really. stoppages isn't just about the big bodies wrestling for the ball. You also need those quick nimble guys lurking around who pounce on spillages and burst away like a thief in the night.

Reactions: 5 users
Strangely kicked much better through the guts compared to off half back. Being dual sided kick opened a new uncharted dynamic in the midfield. Definitely worth trying out again to see if he has what it takes.
We lack left footed players. Nank the only one I think, and Short dual sided. Good to see the Short in the middle experiment work. Good to see Baker back. (and Balta too) Not selecting Tarrant was interesting I hope he doesn't walk back into the team. Almost feel the same about Cotch. (maybe just come in if Prestia doesn't get up)

Yeah but. You know what, nothing wrong with an outside mid that hovers around the packs that posses kicking skills like shorty. The trick will be the other mids will need to get in there and shovel it out to him.
Sounds like a plan , oppo will soon start to sit on him if he racks up crazy numbers ea week with 700+m from midfield is good territory gain

not really. stoppages isn't just about the big bodies wrestling for the ball. You also need those quick nimble guys lurking around who pounce on spillages and burst away like a thief in the night.
At some point you still need to get your own footy. You can’t just rely on loose ball gets.
That’s my only reservation about Short playing in the midfield.

At some point you still need to get your own footy. You can’t just rely on loose ball gets.
That’s my only reservation about Short playing in the midfield.

He had 6 contested possessions in the 1st half against West Coast. 9 for the full game. Its a fallacy that he can't win his own footy.

Reactions: 5 users
He had 6 contested possessions in the 1st half against West Coast. 9 for the full game. Its a fallacy that he can't win his own footy.
Contested Possession: A possession which has been won when the ball is in dispute. Includes looseball-gets, hardball-gets, contested marks, gathers from a hitout and frees for.

im guessing most of Short's contested possessions come from loose ball gets, which is a good skill, as long as others are winning the hardball-gets.

Like everyone else, I really liked Short's work in the middle.

His kicking inside 50 is an upgrade on pretty much every other midfielder we have.

But I do reckon we need to cool our jets. Baker's first game in the guts last season was a resounding success. Then he dropped away until the experiment was canned a few weeks later.

Sometimes it's the element of surprise that catches an opposition unaware and slow to respond.

I have this sneaking suspicion Short in the middle will work better as an occasional, rather than full time, option.

That’s why he plays the role he does in the midfield, it’s built for him.

But geez Smokey he’s just had a career nite in a new role. Get upbeat!

All Australian Short stuff 2022.

Reactions: 2 users
Like everyone else, I really liked Short's work in the middle.

His kicking inside 50 is an upgrade on pretty much every other midfielder we have.

But I do reckon we need to cool our jets. Baker's first game in the guts last season was a resounding success. Then he dropped away until the experiment was canned a few weeks later.

Sometimes it's the element of surprise that catches an opposition unaware and slow to respond.

I have this sneaking suspicion Short in the middle will work better as an occasional, rather than full time, option.
Rory Laird succeeded and I reckon Shorty's got the brains to learn more on what to do in the middle.

That’s why he plays the role he does in the midfield, it’s built for him.

But geez Smokey he’s just had a career nite in a new role. Get upbeat!

All Australian Short stuff 2022.
Don’t get me wrong I like the move. But I won’t be fully sold until we see him against good opposition.