Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to Richmond - Jayden Short

Nice outing from yap in the guts. May see more of it. But shows the state of the midfield cupboard really.

And the state of West Coast’s midfield.

Having said that, he should be given an opportunity against better midfields.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought 2 things were especially impressive: his lowering of the eyes when kicking into forward 50 and his ability to get distance on a kick when off balance. A couple of times in the middle he contorted himself to get a strong kick away which made it a clean clearance for us and not just a 20 meter kick to nowhere.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
are the pieces falling into place ?
D Rioli & Balta down back
Short in the middle
only 2 tall forwards
RCD in the VFL

• Wow
Champion of the club showing his wares.

Will never understand the criticism he copped.

He can play anywhere.

Okay so we find ourselves in furious agreement

I’ve always thought shorty was an absolute star and he could rise even further in the guts

Combined with Soldo giving Nank a chop out, just a massive boost for our ailing midfield.

Reactions: 1 users
Good game last night. Liked the experiment of having him in the middle. Meant we could put Baker back without being….wait for it wait for it…TOO SHORT !!!

(And to think, I do this for free.)

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I thought 2 things were especially impressive: his lowering of the eyes when kicking into forward 50 and his ability to get distance on a kick when off balance. A couple of times in the middle he contorted himself to get a strong kick away which made it a clean clearance for us and not just a 20 meter kick to nowhere.
One of the things you learn playing as a small back is that short, misdirected kicks lead to a goal against.

He now has the muscle memory to not blaze away. Valuable in a mid.

Kicking in the midfield is easy. You can keep hold of the ball longer, because holding the ball decisions aren't direct goals against. You can be more creative with the kick, because there's a buffer.

He will have two challenges as a midfielder.

1. Getting the ball. He did that against West Coast. Can he do it against better? If he can get it, he is lethal.

2. Sticking those defensive tackles. A few walked through him last night.

Reactions: 3 users
He will have two challenges as a midfielder.

1. Getting the ball. He did that against West Coast. Can he do it against better? If he can get it, he is lethal.
Short is very good at zipping around packs and providing a handball outlet for his teamates which is crucial for a transition mid. Reckon he'll be a high accumulator mid which is something we've lacked. Interesting to see how he goes feeding off Cotchin and Martin with Soldo in the ruck. Could well be an inspired move.

Reactions: 4 users
Huge impact by Short in the midfield

Could make all the difference with his elite kicking

Masterstroke by the MC. Well done!
Yes and no. Bit late actually. I was calling for Stack in the backline and Short in the middle ages ago. If I were the MC now I'd put Stack back and Baker fwd. Dont think Stack can maintain the manic fwd pressure whereas Baker can. And Stacks delivery from the backline is better. The MC might agree eventually.

Yes and no. Bit late actually. I was calling for Stack in the backline and Short in the middle ages ago. If I were the MC now I'd put Stack back and Baker fwd. Dont think Stack can maintain the manic fwd pressure whereas Baker can. And Stacks delivery from the backline is better. The MC might agree eventually.
Your foresight is undeniable H.

Great connection with the back 6/7 last night.

Would be good to see the same defensive group against better quality oppo before we start mixing things up again.

Very good game from Shorty. As others have said, I’d like to see him have a few games in the midfield, test himself against better opposition.
A work in progress, we need midfield options desperately

Shorty is well suited for the midfield, because he has good vision, and very rarely fumbles.

Masterstroke move by Hardwick .
Fly LeppaTruckCella you mean?

I'm still a little sceptical how he will go against even a poor midfield- The Weagles best mid was Patrick Naish FFS!
But 2 things Short does do well is find the ball and move it forward, which are pretty handy skills in the midfield. he will be an interesting watch over the next few weeks.

He killed it last night for sure. Give him a run against better midfields and see what happens.

He improved heaps from 19 to 20 by at least halving and then winning at least some 1-1s inside d50. He brought that improved skill set into the midfield role and then obviously able to use his run and ability to be dual sided (not
Dow!) to create space and some brilliant i50s.

Won’t get done by a strong contested marking opponent as much either as not as crucial for a midfielder.

Let’s see how it stacks up against stronger opposition but I think we need to make it work for the i50 connection.

Shorty is well suited for the midfield, because he has good vision, and very rarely fumbles.
This is an extremely underrated part of Shorty's skill set.

Lots is made of his kicking, but he has incredibly clean hands.