Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

frawleyudud said:
If he has cracked ribs then why play in the ressies? What's the point? Why not just take a break?

Have you seen this: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx_o5OCDrSD/

TigerForce said:
Have you seen this: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx_o5OCDrSD/

The rib protection is very likely the result of that crunching collision with Phil Davis of GWS in R3.
I was there that day not far from where it occurred, and it was slightly nauseating to witness.
Thought that if he hadn't broken something serious, he'd at least miss a week through "general soreness".
But no, Daniel bravely put his hand up to play the next week, as players do.
But for the life of me, i don't understand why Dimma would play a quality player like Rioli, or anyone for that matter (Towner the exception), the very next game after a collision like that.
He's clearly (very) sore, and unlikely to contribute much - and we have players in the 2's that can come in and do a job - why wouldn't you give him the week off?
And then against Footscray, poleaxed in the first quarter.
He's 22 but currently walking around with the body of a 40 year old.

By definition i am obviously not privy to the detail, but to me it's hardly surprising Rioli hasn't been able to recapture his best form - cracked ribs and a battered body will do that for you.
In there's one area that i feel Damien is still on a "learning journey", it's Man Management.
He played week in week out with injury and steely (obsessive) determination and expects similar from his charges.
After Richmond peaked way too early in 2018, I was hoping to see signs that he's getting much better at managing the list to arrive in September in top shape.
The handling of Rioli is therefore perplexing.

I don't think that's how RFC roll these days 17. Decision of whether a player is fit enough to play would be a combination of the medical staff and the player themselves. Dimma let Rioli play in the VFL after all - if it all came down to an expectation of toughness and mental will then he would have played him in the firsts every week, but he had no problem having him start in the vfl and also dropping him.

antman said:
I don't think that's how RFC roll these days 17. Decision of whether a player is fit enough to play would be a combination of the medical staff and the player themselves. Dimma let Rioli play in the VFL after all - if it all came down to an expectation of toughness and mental will then he would have played him in the firsts every week, but he had no problem having him start in the vfl and also dropping him.

I think that’s my point antman.
Medical staff would say yes, he can play, albeit in discomfort and with serious padding.
Player of course would put his hand up, as they do.
Then in my perfect world i’d like Damien to step in and say no, you are very sore - take a week off and that will benefit you, and the team, in the long run.
But I accept that’s not the way Dimma rolls.

Wouldn’t be playing VFL if he was injured as his injuries would only get worse
There’s something else that’s going on :-X

Whatever the reasons, as Dimma said on Talking Footy tonight we desperately need Daniel back playing his best footy. 'Run Chase' is our trademark. It's just not there right now.

17 said:
I think that’s my point antman.
Medical staff would say yes, he can play, albeit in discomfort and with serious padding.
Player of course would put his hand up, as they do.
Then in my perfect world i’d like Damien to step in and say no, you are very sore - take a week off and that will benefit you, and the team, in the long run.
But I accept that’s not the way Dimma rolls.

Fair enough 17! I have no contacts in the RFC so I'm only speculating than in professional sporting organisations the coach defers to medical advice. And Richmond seems to be pretty professional about these things these days. Rioli might be putting his hand up when he's not ready, I don't know.

Likes to be 2nd to the ball way too often.

Did it all afternoon in the VFL.

Waited for the oppo to gather the ball so he could lay a tackle.

If he comes back in then he will need to play better than he has the entire season to date. Injury or no injury, he has been underwhelming.

toby64 said:
If he comes back in then he will need to play better than he has the entire season to date. Injury or no injury, he has been underwhelming.
Agree , his been poor, to me his just the type who may spark in a big game like Friday night, we definitely need some class, magic whatever we want to call it against the league leaders and I’d take the risk with Rioli over all the other small forwards