Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Really disappointing. Poor work rate was the most noticeable thing. Hasn't progressed to be able to push into the midfield - may be related to foot injury from 2017 but who knows. Needs a second string to his bow but doesn't hit the scoreboard regularly enough anyway as a small forward. Higgins now has his spot and Rioli can be dropped.

Reactions: 1 users
In all the games I've seen him in so far this season he's looked a yard slower & there's been less 2nd & 3rd efforts. Stats down across the board too. Less goals, tackles, possessions, pressure acts etc.

Cut/paste this into the June 2020 timeline and every point is still valid.

Still a “glimpses” player. I’m pretty sure that’s all he’s going to be at this point. He’ll bob up on occasion and that’s about it.

Sure he’s won 2 flags, but if we find another small forward thats even deemed above-average via draft/trade then he’ll find himself in trouble.

Reactions: 1 user
Cut/paste this into the June 2020 timeline and every point is still valid.

Still a “glimpses” player. I’m pretty sure that’s all he’s going to be at this point. He’ll bob up on occasion and that’s about it.

Sure he’s won 2 flags, but if we find another small forward thats even deemed above-average via draft/trade then he’ll find himself in trouble.

I won't be at all surprised to see him traded.

Current hair cut just isn’t doing enough.
Need more mullet

Reactions: 2 users
I have criticised our selectors for playing too many midgets several times. But near-invisible midgets ... is just absurd.

It's a whole different ball game. You need ball magnets in the midfield - O"Meara virtually won the game for the Dawks in Q1, supported by Mitchell and Smith. We were out-contested and out-run when the game was there to be won. Adams and his crew of Scum mids dominated us in the first Q and half of second Q. You need more explosive, strong-marking players who can win control of the ball, or get it back.

The strategy is basic against us. Get ball-control, pile on scoreboard pressure, build a lead. Then hold on to that lead , make us chase the game while you send players back into our FL to clog it up. Have a pack of talls to spoil and block Jack/Tom/Soldo, try to score on the turnover, quick counter-attack. Slow the game down, mark-kick, short passes, the umps let 12m kicks go constantly for our opposition.

Also, some vital frees in front of goal, especially early in the match and, we're done.
Cannot play out-of-form midgets who cannot win their own ball unless we want this abbreviated season to get right away from us. Butler has been a better player for the Aints than both Rioli and Castagna thus far. Pickett looks out of his depth and Lambert has hardly any aerial ability.

Reactions: 4 users
Of the 4 players dropped, Dan is the one I'm most concerned about.
He's been integral to the way we've played the last 3 seasons with his work rate & forward pressure.
It's been our signature & Dan has been a key part of that.

However after an excellent start to the season, his restart spluttered like an engine running on empty.
No zip, no work rate & not sticking tackles with his usual ferocity. Outside of that he couldn't find the footy.

Really hope his axing is a wake up call because unless he rediscovers what's missing his future is in doubt.

Reactions: 6 users
Not present in the last 2 games .

Wthout the mental application you cant get the best out of yourself physically.

Last edited:
Our small fleet has been dismantled.
Rioli...goneski
Bulter...Stkilda

****never fear we still have Castagnafield :clap2

Should be tried as a wingman in the scratch matches, where he can put his speed and endurance to good use.

Should be tried as a wingman in the scratch matches, where he can put his speed and endurance to good use.

I’m pretty sure we did try him in the midfield sometime in 2018/19 but he had (and still has) a knack of being where the ball aint.

I’m pretty sure we did try him in the midfield sometime in 2018/19 but he had (and still has) a knack of being where the ball aint.

I remember against the Suns a couple of years ago he played a bit more through the wing & got a fair bit of it. I think Jack kicked 10 that day. Mind you it was all pretty much 1 way traffic that day.

He wont be the first player that's been dropped when 23 years of age but still come back to play many seasons of great footy.

Reactions: 3 users
Daniel Rioli has been interesting for a couple of years now.

A young half forward, small forward, would usually be stretched to play midfield (ideally) or HBF.

This didn't happen in the way I imagined with Daniel. We kept him forward. And he failed. Early each season. And then he improved and by finals he was in career-best form. And in the best.

He was demonstrating that he was a natural forward. So classy when he got it and so dangerous when they got it. Could he halve when outbodied or outnumbered? Could he hunt dancing backs? Mimph.

At AFL level Daniel has a demonstrated weakness. He does not win ball. See AFL tables. Like so many tops small forwards. And furthermore does not kick bulk goals - especially given the authority of so much else of his play.

Just the kinda bloke you'd switch to mid or HBF.

Gotta go to HBF. *But who goes to HFF?*

Matt Clark. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Daniel Rioli has been interesting for a couple of years now.

A young half forward, small forward, would usually be stretched to play midfield (ideally) or HBF.

This didn't happen in the way I imagined with Daniel. We kept him forward. And he failed. Early each season. And then he improved and by finals he was in career-best form. And in the best.

He was demonstrating that he was a natural forward. So classy when he got it and so dangerous when they got it. Could he halve when outbodied or outnumbered? Could he hunt dancing backs? Mimph.

At AFL level Daniel has a demonstrated weakness. He does not win ball. See AFL tables. Like so many tops small forwards. And furthermore does not kick bulk goals - especially given the authority of so much else of his play.

Just the kinda bloke you'd switch to mid or HBF.

Gotta go to HBF. *But who goes to HFF?*

Matt Clark. :D

Before declaring him a failure as a forward - it's a shame you didn't read Konrad's book(s) about the role that Rioli contributed to the team success.