Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Riolis nickname in our house hold is gifted. Hmmm is that gifted games or is he a gifted player. Becoming obvious!

Reactions: 1 user

RichoMan28

#GoTiges
Mar 21, 2010
In the Richmond book it’s mentioned he plays a selfless role - not about possessions or goals but about working up and down the ground.

Reactions: 2 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
In the Richmond book it’s mentioned he plays a selfless role - not about possessions or goals but about working up and down the ground.
Hard to tell from watching on the telly.

Maybe some of those that we at the ground could comment on his workrate.

Seemed fumbly. Dropped marks. But kicked well for goal!

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
10 possessions as a pressure forward is a standard to good game if you bring other elements. Kicked two should have had three.

I remember Shed being bagged for low numbers when he was playing exclusively in starvation corner. Forwards don't usually operate in a lot of space. Good forwards work well in traffic. Dan can do that as can most of our forwards ( except Castagna :) )

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Didnt see Rioli playing on Saad much at all, from the TV.
It seemed to be mostly Aarts lining up Saad and for one beautiful marking contest it was Dusty v Sad.
Well, pretty hard to tell from TV but perhaps. Saw Rioli with him at times, and Aarts. But they all switch around a fair bit with rotations etc. But forgot about Docherty in my comment. Saw he had 24 x Ds including 23 kicks (that can mean a lot of FL opportunities) and gained 740m.

Further evidence for how rebounding HBFs could become even more significant in this new style AFL game, being allowed to run off an opponent fixed on the mark after accepting a short pass. (Look at who won our B&F in a flag year too?)

It's reasonable to argue that your HFFs may have to be even better chase and tackle players to apply increased pressure to prevent these types from inflicting greater damage. But it's tough with the defensive out-number used to release these guys as the team's 'outlet deliverers'.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
The but that I thought Rioli was lacking last night was defensive. I'm well attuned to him not getting a lot of the ball, and our club doesn't seem to flinch, so I doubt that's his role.

But he was on field for 93% of the game and had 5 pressure acts and 1 tackle. Not enough.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
t
The but that I thought Rioli was lacking last night was defensive. I'm well attuned to him not getting a lot of the ball, and our club doesn't seem to flinch, so I doubt that's his role.

But he was on field for 93% of the game and had 5 pressure acts and 1 tackle. Not enough.
He had a poor year last year in that defensive area too. It just sometimes feels to me like he's lost the drive you need to play footy at this level. Not sure without the name he would have had so many chances.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
He had a poor year last year in that defensive area too. It just sometimes feels to me like he's lost the drive you need to play footy at this level. Not sure without the name he would have had so many chances.
I know many players play injured, but to me, Daniel seems to have a real limp up/challenges from that broken foot in the GF17.
When he marks and lands, he nurses the foot, after he kicks, etc., I feel he has a constant limp.
Our game style is taxing on small forwards.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

As a club we have gone away from traditional statistics. I wouldnt be certain that individual performance is rated on any stats, but instead on things Iike positioning.
I doubt we know or have access to the stats that matter

Dan you only laid 1 tackle and 5 pressures! You're dropped.
Dan you ran to cut off the switch 57 times!
You also made front and square for the pack 23 times.
Great game Dan

Reactions: 7 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
As a club we have gone away from traditional statistics. I wouldnt be certain that individual performance is rated on any stats, but instead on things Iike positioning.

Great game Dan

There was one play where Lynch presented on a wing for a marking contest with Rioli bursting toward him from 30m+ away, and Lynch opted to massage the drop of the ball in his direction as he came blasting past. It didn't come off this time, but when it does it's a fast, unexpected I50.

With the man on the mark rule change and increase in uncontested marks, it's possible the coaches might want to adjust his defensive positioning after a few games, so if his positioning was a little off then I wouldn't expect him to get dropped for it as it'd be due to a league-wide tactical shift.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

maybe one Rioli is keeping the spot warm for his uncle

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004

Great game Dan
Pressure acts aren't traditional statistics, and is one of the reasons quoted by Dimma, why Jack Graham kept getting a game even though he didn't get a lot of his own ball.
Rioli's intensity was off. Watching him on the day, he didn't run and chase anywhere near as much as I'm used to seeing. He tended to get caught between contests or outside them not influencing.
We'll see how many more games like this he is allowed to have. If it's lots, I'll agree with you.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Pressure acts aren't traditional statistics, and is one of the reasons quoted by Dimma, why Jack Graham kept getting a game even though he didn't get a lot of his own ball.
Rioli's intensity was off. Watching him on the day, he didn't run and chase anywhere near as much as I'm used to seeing. He tended to get caught between contests or outside them not influencing.
We'll see how many more games like this he is allowed to have. If it's lots, I'll agree with you.
It may be that the blues ball movement had him in position but not at the right spot, if that makes sense.
We train it and are so well drilled that its unusual for us to be caught in between.
Normally we adjust mid game which completely shuts their run and their switch.
And maybe the rule changes has made our positioning out of whack. We will adjust.

He still has the benefit of the doubt from me