Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

This talk on Daniel is weird

He kicks straight he kicks 4 goals and he is in the best list

Not in great form but he has played worse and kept his place in the team

The only one that could take his place is MRJ and he isn’t ready
Nailed it. He kicks at least 3 of those 4 and we are having a different conversation. Aarts in the gun way before Rioli.

Reactions: 1 users
he didn't convert today, but did find himself in the positions he's meant to convert from.
hard to judge so i won't. if anything ... needs to find more of the ball ...
That’s the problem. He job is to convert.
Kick goals and tackle.
Dimma must see I’m not seeing.

He kicked the point of the year today. Took off at HB with a bounce and kick to HF. Ended up running onto a loose ball in the pocket and then dribbling it 20 m but it hit the post.

His one wood is his tackling and he laid a bump that would have made Syd envious.

He’s not crumbing as well. Skirting around the packs but not picking pockets. But sometimes the A grade provides more opportunities for someone like him than the VFL provides.

I’m not getting carried away yet. He has the physical attributes once the tank is ready.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Daniel's playing better than Aarts. (Or Butler, or Higgins. Did you see those two last night? I didn't, and I watched their game.)

I'm not saying he's flying, but it's a tough gig, small forward. You have to live on scraps. Doubly hard when delivery inside 50 is poor, to a reinforced backline.

Reactions: 4 users
He won a htb on a second tackle.
Ball comes into the Richmond 50 and the hawks get it but immediately tackled by 3 tigers, led by DR.
The ball spills to another hawk and Dan was up like a shot to grab him down.
Coaches would love that endeavour

That’s a very simplistic view TOO. Castagna kicked 5 behinds in a GF but was still very good.
Castagna was good despite 5 behinds.. Rioli yesterday simply wasn't good. He's either lost the desire required or he's just cruising.

Daniel's playing better than Aarts. (Or Butler, or Higgins. Did you see those two last night? I didn't, and I watched their game.)

I'm not saying he's flying, but it's a tough gig, small forward. You have to live on scraps. Doubly hard when delivery inside 50 is poor, to a reinforced backline.
watching Yesterday’s game live and on replay , bedsides he’s super hard running, you can see why Mitchell gets o much football, front and square ever marking contest around the ground just reads the drop so well but also plays the percentages by been in the right spot, point been Dan an the crumbers have so many opportunities for the crumbs of Lynch an Reiwoldt , there just probably not all quite in sinc atm.

You could nearly lock Dan in for 3 next week .

The old question since 2017 is do we prefer the 3 amigos applying incredible defensive pressure or would prefer one be as a Charlie Cameron type kicking goals but not adding much the other way?

Dan needs to watch Lambo hit a few packs

This talk on Daniel is weird

He kicks straight he kicks 4 goals and he is in the best list

Not in great form but he has played worse and kept his place in the team

The only one that could take his place is MRJ and he isn’t ready
Guess we'll have to leave it to the coaches to decide if he's doing the job they want him to.
Looked from the stands to have a very ordinary day. Missed a couple of long shots at goal n completely stuffed up his lolly pop chance, seemed to have trouble with his eye after copping a slap in the face taking the mark.
Did notice in the stats in today's paper he was up over 50 in the pressure factor, way higher than any of our other players.

Dimma's been saying for years now he rates our players performances differently to all the other stat heads n we've got three flags doing it his way. Work rate without the ball, sharing n assisting team mates. All the unrewarded, unheralded little things that make the team not the individual better.

Reactions: 1 user
As average as he's been, he's still ahead of Aarts.
I think it'll be interesting to see how Aarts goes. He looks to me to have come up a weight division, gassing out in the early rounds. Might take him a while to get used to carrying the extra bulk. He is definitely making his presence felt when he can, modelling himself on Caddy perhaps? On Dan, I'm just not sure. Hard to judge off the Telly because you can't see the work rate.

Ive got this funny feeling we see MRJ this year.

lets not forget the fact that

Riolis win premierships in Year 1

Reactions: 2 users
Was disappointed with his finishing and slowness of decision making with ball
In hand.

You won’t see on TV but when opposition has ball in d50 on half back flank he positions himself about 30-40m away covering switch and usually equidistant between opponents. He essentially goes into a defensive basketball stance - crouched on your toes - so essentially looking to intercept. Good concentration in this area.

Hopefully it’s not the usual one week out, one mediocre VFL performance then straight back in to the AFL side.

Needs 2 weeks in a row of strong VFL performances before he’s considered again. If that takes 8 weeks then so be it.

Reactions: 4 users