Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers - Daniel Rioli

Consistently in our top 2-3 fastest players in each match he plays. Also in top 2-3 for repeat sprint efforts. People keep saying he’s not as quick post 2017 but the data does not support this.

Was likely dropped because his effort and intensity weren’t at the level required. Will be brought straight back in as soon as Hardwick and co. feel it’s back at the level they expect. Rioli’s ability to apply pressure and cover space quickly in the front half is so crucial to what we want to do he won’t be missing for long.
I will forever see him as the Bloke who cost Aarts a premiership medallion.

Dimma said that Rioli will come straight back in next week, that they'll rotate the small forwards in and out week to week

I know he is battling overall, but gee he gets torched a fair bit when he is hitting up on the lead and they ignore him. Is he on the outer I wonder,,??

This bit doesn't bother me at all.
Small forwards bringing the heat on opposition defenders, like Georgie, Sausage n Aartsy Faartsy are required to do to enable us to lock the ball in our forward half is the game we've been playing for five years.
If these blokes are getting it 8 or 10 times themselves n getting their couple of shots at goal per game, it's pretty much job done.
Keep the oppo defence under serious heat create some havoc n opportunity n game after game we've got a stack of blokes all bobbing up n sharing the goals, we don't need to rely on one or two blokes kicking plenty, simply means the other sides can't cover everything.
Jaaack, Lynchman, Dusty, Georgie, Sausage, Aartsy, Lamblett, KMac, Prestigiocomo, even Shedda, Cotch, Shorty, Balta, Fish n Cadds all known to regularly sneak forward n have a bang at goals. It's a nightmare for opposition coaches to cover for whoever bobs up from nowhere.

Yes, but, the problem at the moment is that we are not locking it in our forward line, it is getting out way too easily. Partly this is the opening up of the game, which allows the opposition to avoid pressure, but it is also the fact that we are not locking it in as well as we have done for the past few years.

DS

I know he is battling overall, but gee he gets torched a fair bit when he is hitting up on the lead and they ignore him. Is he on the outer I wonder,,??
We are getting too predictable and kicking long too often.
And lairising in the midfield and handballing back into trouble. DR didnt seem to be the worst today

We are getting too predictable and kicking long too often.
And lairising in the midfield and handballing back into trouble. DR didnt seem to be the worst today
Yep. Haven't figured out how the new game works off little chip kicks to players standing off in space all game. Bombing blindly to three on one contests in the forward line or trying to play pass the parcel handballs until the turn over kabooms us is costing us at the moment. All three games we've been made to look very average by the outside chip n run games now in vogue. Carlscum n Hawforn not very good at it as yet so we got away with business as usual. Sydaknee bloody excellent at it and also flogged us through the middle, we were lucky to pretend to stay close.

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting that he played a bit of midfield against Werribee, maybe a new role coming up, I like the idea of him been tried up the ground, needs something to spark him, maybe MJ can help

He needs to come back and do 3 simple things.

Run, Chase, Tackle.

The rest will fall into place, his best is better than many, we need it its noticeable.

Is he coasting is he sated after too much easy success at an early age.

Reactions: 1 users
We're a better side with a firing Rioli in it. Hopefully he returns better than ever.

Interesting if Daniel comes straight back in, (i'd certainly have him ahead of Aarts), or if they sent him back to VFL to either learn a new role? or at least play some midfield time to get more of the pill?

I'm just going by the VFL summary quote below didn't see the game myself.:

Daniel, following his omission from AFL level, looked a cut above from the opening bounce, showcasing his poise, speed and skill through the midfield.

The senior Rioli started at the centre bounce and was involved in the opening passage, helping clear the ball and getting it going the Tigers’ way.

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting if Daniel comes straight back in, (i'd certainly have him ahead of Aarts), or if they sent him back to VFL to either learn a new role? or at least play some midfield time to get more of the pill?

I'm just going by the VFL summary quote below didn't see the game myself.:

Daniel, following his omission from AFL level, looked a cut above from the opening bounce, showcasing his poise, speed and skill through the midfield.

The senior Rioli started at the centre bounce and was involved in the opening passage, helping clear the ball and getting it going the Tigers’ way.
Wouldn't mind Dan seeing tried on the wing.

Wouldn't mind Dan seeing tried on the wing.
He has spent time on the wing at certain stages. I personally don't think he has the stamina. For me forward is his best spot (like it's been for most Riolis). He just needs to get the drive and the confidence back. I think for Daniel Rioli it's all psychological.

Reactions: 1 users
This bit doesn't bother me at all.
Small forwards bringing the heat on opposition defenders, like Georgie, Sausage n Aartsy Faartsy are required to do to enable us to lock the ball in our forward half is the game we've been playing for five years.
If these blokes are getting it 8 or 10 times themselves n getting their couple of shots at goal per game, it's pretty much job done.
Keep the oppo defence under serious heat create some havoc n opportunity n game after game we've got a stack of blokes all bobbing up n sharing the goals, we don't need to rely on one or two blokes kicking plenty, simply means the other sides can't cover everything.
Jaaack, Lynchman, Dusty, Georgie, Sausage, Aartsy, Lamblett, KMac, Prestigiocomo, even Shedda, Cotch, Shorty, Balta, Fish n Cadds all known to regularly sneak forward n have a bang at goals. It's a nightmare for opposition coaches to cover for whoever bobs up from nowhere.
Yeah a low possession count didn't seem to hurt other small forwards.

Betts averaged 12 touches in his career (a pretty good one at that)
Cameron averages 12 touches in his career
Papley averages a bit more at 14

Rioli averages 11 so he's not a million miles off the better smalls. He's actually averaging more goals per game this year than he ever has, and thats where he needs to improve. Across his career he only averages 0.9 goals per game, Betts averages 1.8, Cameron and Papley 1.5.

I'm not sure he would be great at centre bounces in the AFL, doesn't have the same evasiveness as Shai and doesn't have the power / strength of a Martin or Prestia, but being 1st receiver would be a good option.

Reckon he'll be back in on Thursday night.

Reactions: 1 user