Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

MRO decision is a joke.

But on the incident, Butler baited Marlion and got the result he was after. Too predictable to react is our Marlion, it's part of his game he needs to control better because he has a reputation now and the Umps are looking for a reason to blow their whistle.

Reactions: 2 users
MRO decision is a joke.

But on the incident, Butler baited Marlion and got the result he was after. Too predictable to react is our Marlion, it's part of his game he needs to control better because he has a reputation now and the Umps are looking for a reason to blow their whistle.
It was push and shove, happens 100s of times in a game. If Butler didn't "collapse" there would have been no 50, no fine, and we wouldn't be discussing it. If he whacked him in the throat/head, I would totally agree that he needs to control himself more, but he shoved him in the chest FFS.

Reactions: 4 users
It was push and shove, happens 100s of times in a game. If Butler didn't "collapse" there would have been no 50, no fine, and we wouldn't be discussing it. If he whacked him in the throat/head, I would totally agree that he needs to control himself more, but he shoved him in the chest FFS.

Off the ball, near goal, play stopped, umpire plenty of time to watch. Butler set the trap, Marlion fell into it. Bang 50m and certain goal.

Did Butler collapse for no reason, sure, but that's what Butler was waiting for. Marlion has got to be smarter.

The umpires just need to be better. Seems to me that they make up their mind before the contest has even played out.

Reactions: 1 users
Off the ball, near goal, play stopped, umpire plenty of time to watch. Butler set the trap, Marlion fell into it. Bang 50m and certain goal.

Did Butler collapse for no reason, sure, but that's what Butler was waiting for. Marlion has got to be smarter.

Although I do wonder if Butler said anything to rile up Marlion, I agree that Marlion needs to be smarter in these situations.

But so do the umpires, they could have seen this coming a mile away, happens every week. Despite the fact that Marlion should not have pushed Butler, it was Butler who started this and Butler who faked the impact. Everyone knows this and everyone says that it is always the player who retaliates who gets penalised. Well, with 3 umpires on the ground that is simply not good enough.

As for the MRO, what an f-wit. With the benefit of multiple replays they charge Marlion, should have charged Butler with staging. Now players will get the clear message that staging gets you a free, 50m and no penalty - why wouldn't you stage when this is the result?

DS

Reactions: 6 users

Ump fell for Butler's dive after receiving an open hand shove to the chest. How is that Marlion's fault?
Why didn't they reverse the kick after Butler shoved Marlion beforehand? Because Marlion stayed on his feet and didn't dive.

MRO decision is a joke.

As a free kick, I agree. The umpires were fine. This type of incident, quite obviously, can only be stamped out of the game with the benefit of slow motion replays and MRO action. That hasn't happened, and that's the unacceptable part of it all. I have no issue with the umpires or the contact before the incident.

The MRO failed to see the clear evidence of staging. That's an incredible oversight and suggests incompetence for the role. According to the rules of the game, Butler should be fined, not Marlion.

If you're at a nightclub and the bouncer throws you out because it looks like you king hit someone, you can't argue with the bouncer. However, when the police get involved and review the footage, will the police penalise you if the footage introduces new information that clearly supports the perpetrator's claim that the alleged victim was faking it?

It's just wrong... and common sense.

I really don't get what I'm seeing, it's so obvious and yet nobody is acting on it. This incident was evidence of staging, which you can see most clearly by watching Butler's feet. I suspect the MRO wasn't even considering staging as a possibility, and therefore didn't think to look at Butler's actions in slow motion as a matter of due diligence if nothing else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ump fell for Butler's dive after receiving an open hand shove to the chest. How is that Marlion's fault?
Why didn't they reverse the kick after Butler shoved Marlion beforehand? Because Marlion stayed on his feet and didn't dive.

That's 100% true, but irrelevant in the aftermath. It's perfectly acceptable for umpires to make these type of mistakes in real time. These type of incidents can only be addressed in hindsight with the benefit of slow-motion replays and post-game penalties. That's the only practical solution IMO.

Post-game penalties are the only possible way to realistically stamp this kind of behaviour out of the game.

I'm happy to lose a goal to something like this, but I expect someone to be smart enough to deter it from happening in the future through the use of post-game penalties. Instead, the opposite has happened, and that's the injustice here. So let's be clear about where we should be directing our discontent.

It's more upsetting because it's happened to a guy who needs the money. I hope the club paid the fine on Marlion's behalf so he doesn't cop the financial hit himself, as he really doesn't deserve this.

Just one more question, how is a push a strike? What no pushing allowed now, ffs this is just the most bizarre report.

MRO decision is a joke.

What should happen now, but won't, is that Butler gets labelled a diver or stager, and he comes under scrutiny.

I've been complaining about this enough now... it's time to come up with of a practical solution. How can we minimise our risk of getting sucked in by stagers in the future, while also giving players like Marlion maximum freedom to still be aggressive?

A realistic solution must be teachable, so it has to be simple. I've tried to come up with something the coaches could potentially teach the players tomorrow if they wanted to. What do you guys think?

Team Rule for Non-Talls: When you're in the D50, never push someone a 2nd time.

1. The reason I limit the rule to the "D50" is because it's only a key issue when you're dealing with a stager seeking a cheap goal. I'm also being mindful to give players maximum freedom to continue playing like normal and only imposing a limit in a specific situation that's easy to remember.

2. The reason I limit the rule to never pushing someone a "2nd time" is because the stager must be anticipating the contact in order to execute the staging act. That means the 1st push is usually safe because they're not ready to stage. Marlion was safe to push Butler once. However, that's the lightbulb moment when the stager gets the idea to try and suck you in. So, that's why the stager will push you back and get lippy. At that point, you're in the danger zone, because the stager is now anticipating a 2nd push to try and win a free kick. That's the one to limit behaviour for. Only then. The 2nd push. The less limiting the rule, the better.

So, players would still have freedom to push and shove, except for one specific situation: "When you're in the D50, never push someone a 2nd time".

The cue to remember this rule would be when the opposition pushes you back in the D50. When they push you back. That's the snap moment that makes you turn around and face the ball.

Even better would be a trigger word that you could say to yourself in your head whenever someone 'pushes you back' down back, and that word would have a story behind it, but I haven't thought of one yet.

Thoughts?

Does it again I want him dropped.
He didn't cause the fade out but he didn't help the cause
So if Butler didn't flop when he was shoved in the chest, and there was subsequently no 50, and no fine, would you still want him dropped if he shoves someone in the chest again?

There’s many ways that Marlion can play aggressively without giving away free kicks or ending up missing games.

I thought his spoil in the defensive goal square in the GWS game was a glorious piece of professional nastiness.

He can be absolutely brutal in the contest, and leave the cheap high school pushing and shoving for the amateur leagues.

There’s many ways that Marlion can play aggressively without giving away free kicks or ending up missing games.

I thought his spoil in the defensive goal square in the GWS game was a glorious piece of professional nastiness.

He can be absolutely brutal in the contest, and leave the cheap high school pushing and shoving for the amateur leagues.
The cheap high school pushing and shoving is part of the game and has been for years. He did nothing more than you see every game numerous times. You see it at most ball ups and most forward entries but rarely if 3ver do you see it go to the tribunal. It’s just a cruel joke and Pickett has been on the receiving end of frivolous fines in the past but this takes the cake. Anyone have a list of his fines? Would be interesting reading.