Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Marlion Pickett!

what a crock. did they watch the footage of Butler laughing afterwards ?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm convinced there is bias against Marlion. An unconscious bias, but a bias. Numerous times he is cited and fined for things that other AFL darlings would not be, and also penalties tend to be a bit harsher. Umps also quick on the whistle to pay frees against, and opposition players are allowed to be a little bit sloppy, like late hits that aren't paid 50 that Danger would get every time.

If you're Tom Hawkins you have a green light to collapse a players oesophagus with a punch in the throat. But he is a white private school boy, Marlion isn't.
Now that you've mentioned it, I agree. I've noticed this too often and I'll go high and call it racism.

Reactions: 4 users
What a disgraceful decision!!!

I think MRO is an acronym for Moronically Random Outcomes.

In despair at what our once great game has become, fancy getting cited for that, :bash:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:poop:
It's all fun and games with Richmond. Get the popcorn out. I suppose neither Dimma or anyone at the club can speak out otherwise it's UMPIRE ABUSE!!

What a disgraceful decision!!!

I think MRO is an acronym for Moronically Random Outcomes.

In despair at what our once great game has become, fancy getting cited for that, :bash:vomit:vomit:vomit:vomit:poop:
yes what a disgrace , two players going tit or tat push push and only one gets fined and no mention of staging
even the commentators at the time said "was that enough force to push a player over ?" " you'd think not" inference stagging was worth the penalty or fine

sets a dangerous precedent , (or already happening) opposition players can go to town on our guys because they know the umps will side with them

Reactions: 1 users
butler should be ashamed of himself ...........staging is a reportable act ......weak !

butler should be ashamed of himself ...........staging is a reportable act ......weak !
If Butler has any character at all, he'd contact the MRO and tell them he staged.

FFS, a push to the chest makes you stumble backwards, not collapse in a heap.

Reactions: 2 users
Why are we blaming Bulter?
Why did PICKETT touch him in the first place.
Let's not cross wires here.
Pickett was in the wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm convinced there is bias against Marlion. An unconscious bias, but a bias. Numerous times he is cited and fined for things that other AFL darlings would not be, and also penalties tend to be a bit harsher. Umps also quick on the whistle to pay frees against, and opposition players are allowed to be a little bit sloppy, like late hits that aren't paid 50 that Danger would get every time.

If you're Tom Hawkins you have a green light to collapse a players oesophagus with a punch in the throat. But he is a white private school boy, Marlion isn't.

I don't usually subscribe to this type of thinking but what else could it be? Firstly the umpire rewarded a disgraceful stage dive (Butler initiated the engagment!) and now the AFL endorse/condone the moronic decision with their own even more disgarceful decision.

You could argue the bias is not unconcious, the AFL have had time to review/analyse this.

FFS I am over the the idiots running/ruining the game.

Reactions: 4 users
If Butler has any character at all, he'd contact the MRO and tell them he staged.

FFS, a push to the chest makes you stumble backwards, not collapse in a heap.
And he'd offer to chip in for the fine.

I can't believe the deafening silence from the club on this. Appeal!! Pickett's got a family to feed and is going to lose $2000 (could've been $3000) to revenue raising just for a childish act by a former Tiger sook?

Reactions: 5 users
Why are we blaming Bulter?
Why did PICKETT touch him in the first place.
Let's not cross wires here.
Pickett was in the wrong.
Yes, Pickett did the wrong thing, but he was provoked.
As I said at the time, it's always the retaliator that gets pinged.
Butlers pleading with the umpire, staging and falling in a screaming heap are also issues, but the MRO/AFL has chosen to ignore these.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, Pickett did the wrong thing, but he was provoked.
As I said at the time, it's always the retaliator that gets pinged.
Butlers pleading with the umpire, staging and falling in a screaming heap are also issues, but the MRO/AFL has chosen to ignore these.
Pickett shouldve did the same when he was pushed by Bulter.
It was ok to see Bulter get similar free kicks for us but now it's the end of the world.
Pickett was in the wrong

Pickett shouldve did the same when he was pushed by Bulter.
It was ok to see Bulter get similar free kicks for us but now it's the end of the world.
Pickett was in the wrong

Why was Pickett in the wrong, THEY WERE BOTH PUSHING EACH OTHER, Butler went down like he was shot.
I was listening to the radio when it happened & one of the commentators said " Butler should be reported for staging" if that's not a clear indication from an unbiased source then I don't know what is.

Butler flopped, that was the only thing wrong in that incident. Players have been pushing each other in the chest since the game began, That was very poor umpiring imo. As for the MRO, as Jack Dyer once said "I won't say something in case I say something"
Every week I become more disenchanted with AFL football, this sort of cr@p just does my head in.

Reactions: 7 users
This is where you want some journo like Caro to speak out. I really hope Pickett wasn't advised internally at the club to just stay quiet and accept the fine. Seriously feel like this bloke is under a witch hunt from this pathetic league.

Reactions: 1 users
Butler was already low in my estimation of him because of why the club let him leave ... now he's lower.

Sure Marlion could've just let it go, but for Butler to go down like he did, and then laugh? it's poor form ... the blokes a knob ..

Did the club end up defending this? Either way, I thought I'd break down the below footage to defend Marlion, who I can see is a victim of staging.

First, notice that Butler has already received contact, and is then face-to-face with Marlion moments before the incident in question.

Therefore, Butler is anticipating further contact and has unobstructed vision of his opponent.

Contact is then made.

This is the part that you won't be able to un-see. Look at Butler's feet.

What happens?

Butler's legs open to a gait that is twice as wide as normal, and his knees bend as if he's doing a squat.

His feet then "hop" towards Marion as he rolls himself around onto his side to embrace the ground.

Butler's feet don't slide - they "hop" about 1 full metre towards his opponent in just 2 frames of footage.

If you fall down because of a push, you don't fall towards the person pushing you.

That defies the laws of kinetic energy. An
honest sliding of the feet wouldn't occur over 2 frames of footage, and if his feet did slide North then his body wouldn't land facing West, if you get what that means.

Watch the footage above and look at Butler's legs at the moment of contact.

Reactions: 5 users
Going by the vid.
Might be for the hit to Butlers throat and not the push.
If its for the push then geez alot of players will be out of pocket by years end.
The report said low impact, body contact…so not for the throat.
If this is what football has become, I’m definitely out. This was similar to the Grimes one…horrible horrible pathetic umpiring and the mrp are just a gutless afl puppet. Absolutely livid. There must have been another incident - it is just not possible that this incident could be cited.