Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Welcome to the Tigers Nathan Broad

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Big fan of Broady. Reckon he would do well on the wing. Would hurt a few too. Bit like KMac but with a bit better skills.

Would like to see Broad & KMac on the wings. Not sure where Marlion would fit.
No doubt anywhere in the back half is what suits Broady and the team , however Qd I reckon he could surprise in any role , I’ve always like the thought of having him run with opposition star mids , big body, big engine, bloody tough

Reactions: 2 users

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
No doubt anywhere in the back half is what suits Broady and the team , however Qd I reckon he could surprise in any role , I’ve always like the thought of having him run with opposition star mids , big body, big engine, bloody tough
If memory serves me well, Tigers did that with some success years ago with Brian Leys.

Reactions: 1 users

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
I’ve always like the thought of having him run with opposition star mids , big body, big engine, bloody tough
My thoughts as well. Broad could add an instant big-bodied defensive mid to the mix. A key aim at centre bounces would be to disrupt clean ball movement by the oppo, either leading to a turnover or secondary stoppage.

Ever since 6-6-6 was introduced, the best way to counter a dominant oppo midfield is by forcing a secondary stoppage at centre bounces. Then all bets are off, we bring an extra up to the stoppage, mayby put an extra behind the ball, and play the way we want to - more congestion for the oppo team to navigate, leading to more chaos for us.

Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I think that would work, too, but who takes his spot in defence? We really suffered without him there this year.

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Seems to have got a more relaxed style of play from yesterday. Vision is better and couple that with his aerobic capacity and general hardness should mean another great season for my man!

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Wouldn't mind seeing Broady given a run on the wing in Devenport against the Hawks, reckon he'd do very well there. Just for a look-see.

Miller and Gibcus will benefit with more exposure down back.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Wouldn't mind seeing Broady given a run on the wing in Devenport against the Hawks, reckon he'd do very well there. Just for a look-see.

Not the worst idea Tm but I think Hugo has the inside running on the 3rd rotating wing spot for now with Grover and Marlion. He has the attacking ability and the extra run and carry the club is trying to mesh into the side. Ralphy might also be given the job of covering for Lambo if he doesn't get up in time come the early rounds.

Broady can play anywhere and like Grimes they can play as small defenders just as well as they play tall.

Short is the player who I have been least impressed by so far in the two hit outs, he wasn't too flash last season and needs to lift. Obviously Rioli missed on Saturday.

Mansell will be pushing for a small defensive post too.

• Love

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Reckon next weeks team will be less experimental and more closely mirror starting 22 for round 1.
Will be very interested to see if they persevere with Balta up forward. And whether they play Miller or Gibcus with Grimes back

Reactions: 3 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Reckon Broady still has another level to go to.

Especially offensively. He can take on bigger challenges with his match-ups and his intercept game is still growing.

If the coaching group give him more responsibility in either facet he will rise to it ILO. Thrives on the big occasion.

He's not just a shut-down the 4th best forward anymore. Far better than that. Let's challenge him,.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Reckon Broady still has another level to go to.

Especially offensively. He can take on bigger challenges with his match-ups and his intercept game is still growing.

If the coaching group give him more responsibility in either facet he will rise to it ILO. Thrives on the big occasion.

He's not just a shut-down the 4th best forward anymore. Far better than that. Let's challenge him,.
You’ll never see Broady go tits up during a big game.
Only afterwards

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not the worst idea Tm but I think Hugo has the inside running on the 3rd rotating wing spot for now with Grover and Marlion. He has the attacking ability and the extra run and carry the club is trying to mesh into the side. Ralphy might also be given the job of covering for Lambo if he doesn't get up in time come the early rounds.

Broady can play anywhere and like Grimes they can play as small defenders just as well as they play tall.

Short is the player who I have been least impressed by so far in the two hit outs, he wasn't too flash last season and needs to lift. Obviously Rioli missed on Saturday.

Mansell will be pushing for a small defensive post too.

Reckon we need to keep evolving our list Craig.

2017 - Astbury - Grimes - Rance - Broad
2019 - Astbury - Grimes - Broad
2020 - Astbury - Grimes - Broad - Balta

2022 Tarrant - Grimes - Miller- Gibcus.

Grimes will love playing small again.

Would allow us try Broad on the wing.

Anyhow, it's just a thought.

Last edited:

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Where's Broady then Tigerman?

He's either a number 2 back or number 4 with a full license (and should be top 5 in league for intercepts) for Leysy.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

He's either a number 2 back or number 4 with a full license (and should be top 5 in league for intercepts) for Leysy.
I'm a massive fan of Broady, he's a great runner, a great player. I had just pondered earlier about trying him on the wing against the Hawks in Tassie.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK

From memory he played one of last years preseason games as a wing and looked good

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Reckon he goes number 3.5 with Vlastuin and attacks. Vlastuin and Broad intercepting everything. Grimes & Tarrant the bigs, V & B's (our VB's hereafter) then Rioli and Short. To me, that's the starting back six. Balta might go back there as well.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
From memory he played one of last years preseason games as a wing and looked good
Year before I think against the Maggots in 2020 and played very well. Was moved out to make room for Noah to be developed but Noah had a couple of mares in the praccie matches and a slow start to that season from memory (Im happy to be corrected) but Mason Cox got hold of Noah in the game against the Maggots IIRC.

Whilst Nathan would be very good as a defensive wingman, and he has even effectively tagged opposition mids before (Whitfield especially when he was teasring the Tigers up in 2019 at the MCG in the first half Broady went onto him and stopped his influence), he plays within his limitations and is more a tidy player with his disposal rather than a damaging one and is probably better suited as a defender for the club.

I think the club will start looking to run Ralphy and Brown and Dow through the wings going forward.

Keep as many key parts of the Premiership defence together whilst we still have them and they are performing to promote cohesion and versatility.

We've lost 3 now Rance, Dave, and Bash are very significant changes with those 3 now gone. Dave moving on might have an effect if Tarrant cant slot in effectively, hopefully he will and should with his experience.

Grimes, Broad and Vlastuin bought the versatility to the defence that was so central to our success, and they will bring the stability to assist Tarrant and others like Noah and Miller to get in sync with the defensive set up and system.

Last edited:

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Hey @caesar if you see Broady at training tell him I’m still waiting for the 2019/20 premierships photos.
with models displaying premiership medals

• Haha

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Year before I think against the Maggots in 2020 and played very well. Was moved out to make room for Noah to be developed but Noah had a couple of mares in the praccie matches and a slow start to that season from memory (Im happy to be corrected) but Mason Cox got hold of Noah in the game against the Maggots IIRC.

Whilst Nathan would be very good as a defensive wingman, and he has even effectively tagged opposition mids before (Whitfield especially when he was teasring the Tigers up in 2019 at the MCG in the first half Broady went onto him and stopped his influence), he plays within his limitations and is more a tidy player with his disposal rather than a damaging one and is probably better suited as a defender for the club.

I think the club will start looking to run Ralphy and Brown and Dow through the wings going forward.

Keep as many key parts of the Premiership defence together whilst we still have them and they are performing to promote cohesion and versatility.

We've lost 3 now Rance, Dave, and Bash are very significant changes with those 3 now gone. Dave moving on might have an effect if Tarrant cant slot in effectively, hopefully he will and should with his experience.

Grimes, Broad and Vlastuin bought the versatility to the defence that was so central to our success, and they will bring the stability to assist Tarrant and others like Noah and Miller to get in sync with the defensive set up and system.
I reckon you are right as I memory is not what it used to be! I am biased towards Broady but reckon your summation could be right as his experience is going to be invaluable in defence until the newcomers gel.